Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: The official religion of the Spelunky world!  (Read 14541 times)
Calcius
Shoot

-cough-

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2013, 02:23:51 PM »

So, I have been wondering for a while what the official Spelunky religion was. I have just assumed that it was Hindu since before I had found that Kali was a hindu goddess a while back. Oh, and while on this topic...Olmec is among us: http://jaguarstones.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/olmec-head.jpg . Yama is also connected to Hindu but I can't find anything connecting Olmec . All I can find is that the statues were made in mesoamerica. Not much connecting olmec and Hindu. So, what do you think/ can you find?  Forgot to mention upon the initial writing of this that I can find some connections with the moai and kapala. Also please excuse my lack of knowledge on the Hindu religion ^_^.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:29:34 PM by Calcius » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 04:12:08 PM »

And the Hedjet, Ankh and Udjat Eye are all Egyptian. The zombies are actually Chinese Jiangshi (you can tell by the robes, and the hopping). Moai heads are Polynesian. The City of Gold has a huge statue of a Maya Queen. Oh yeah, I'm leaving out stuff from XBLA. The "Book of the Dead", despite similarity in name with various real world books, appears to be the Necronomicon, from H P Lovecraft's wholly invented mythology, and of course Hell is full of Christian imagery. Did I miss anything?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:26:37 PM by Urza » Logged
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »

In other words, the religion is more ambiguous than specific.

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
Calcius
Shoot

-cough-

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 10:06:20 PM »

I am thinking that the hell part could possibly just be named hell since it is a well known name for a terrible place (er I at least feel like it is well known.). Because I am quite sure that like, 40-60 % of religions have a hell like place of some sort. Here is a post from wikipedia (because google gives few choices) "Naraka (Hindu):   Naraka in Hinduism is similar to the Christian Hell, ... and Yama directs departed souls...". That wikipedia was VERY interesting, so if you want to read beyond this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yama . On that Egypt comment through some Googling(TM) I discovered this!: "Considering the enormous geographical distance between India and Egypt, ancient Egyptian religion and modern Hinduism have a surprising number of similarities in concepts and practices." This is leading me to believe that it is hindu...here is the site:   http://history-of-hinduism.blogspot.com/2010/07/hinduism-and-ancient-egyptian-religion.html

So, any contradictions? I think we need to dedicate a team to discovering the true religion it is based off. I bet my money on Hindu Cheesy... Now, that tricky book of the dead for those at home STILL reading. (wikipedia: afterlife. Been a bit link heavy so far :T) "Ancient Egypt... The afterlife played an important role in Ancient Egyptian religion...arriving at one's reward in afterlife was a demanding ordeal, requiring a sin-free heart and the ability to recite the spells, passwords and formulae of the Book of the Dead." So, if we are still assuming that "ancient egypt" was connected to hinduism... All we need to decipher are the hop hop zombies and the mayan queen. But I was actually just judging by the xbla version, so thanks for bringing that part up, Urza Cheesy.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 11:00:01 PM »

What about Olmec, who you mentioned yourself? That's definitely an odd one, since Olmec is actually the name of a culture, not a king or deity or anything. But it certainly doesn't look Hindu or Egyptian.

As impressed by your Egypt = Hindu explanation as I am, if I really had to guess, I'd say more of a "all ancient civilizations were really put here by aliens who might also be gods" type of thing. Seems to be pretty common in stories of this genre.
Calcius
Shoot

-cough-

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 11:06:12 PM »

What about Olmec...

Thought I was forgetting something! From what I can find the Olmec heads aren't  connected to the religion, but I may have been mislead. What can you find on it? Cheesy.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 11:18:14 PM »

They're not. Probably honored local leaders or wahtever. But considering this one is alive and jumping around there's gotta be something mystical going on.
Calcius
Shoot

-cough-

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 10:10:13 AM »

They're not. Probably honored local leaders or wahtever. But considering this one is alive and jumping around there's gotta be something mystical going on.

Actually each of the olmec heads are (supposedly) styled after one model xD.
here are two examples:
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/egipto/fingerprintgods/images/olmec09.jpg
http://abagond.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/olmecheadmnah.jpg

At least the faces are, most of the head dresses have some differences though.
But this wikipedia page seems to want to contradict this. So far, olmec is  just a random guest-star. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olmec

I am guessing there has to be SOME kind of connection because in the temple you can get the "you hear prayers to kali" feeling yet in the final room of the temple, everyone is praising the olmec statue. I am also guessing that the hopping is to show the caves aren't just cursed, but cursed enough that objects can come to life Tongue. Also when you consider hell is just like 80 feet away, Yama may have just gotten one of the heads as a guardian?

Edit: Though I think the real question now may be, "Where is this adventure taking place?" Because the olmec civilization was in mesoamerica, while most peopls that practice hinduism live in india.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:16:01 AM by Calcius » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »

Edit: Though I think the real question now may be, "Where is this adventure taking place?" Because the olmec civilization was in mesoamerica, while most peopls that practice hinduism live in india.
That's a good question too. Speaking of which there's another clue: You know that little three line story at the beginning? Sometimes it's includes "I paid my Bedouin guide.", as well as various references to desert and camels. Bedouins are desert-dwelling people in the middle east. So that would fit with Egypt, not India or Mesoamerica. Of course that's assuming the whole adventure takes place in one place. I can easily imagine that each of the four zones are actually in different places, perhaps even many miles far apart.

Or back to the first question, it can end with "AND FELT THE GODS SMILING UPON ME.", which seems to indicate the hero is a polytheist, not that this narrows it down much.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:33:29 PM by Urza » Logged
Calcius
Shoot

-cough-

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 02:49:26 PM »

The many miles apart thing COULD explain Olmec's involvement...I think derek should break in on this soon...
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 11:39:07 PM »

Most of spelunky revolves around indiana jones. The kali statue is from the temple of doom etc. So it really encompasses a bunch of religons

Calcius
Shoot

-cough-

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 10:19:57 AM »

Never noticed the kali statue part XD. I just thought derek would try to limit it... but I guess not Tongue.
bbleop
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 11:59:55 PM »

I've thought that it was all just taking interesting things from religion and mythology and spilling them all together into one collection- you could either take it as an appreciation of the relics religion has to offer, or kind of a joke on religion. If everything exists all at once, then nothing really actually exists, and they're just past ideas left behind and buried. I think Spelunky's religion is kind of an atheism. Or it's a religion of cool things/ The cool things religion
Skoke
Mossy

Ballin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 09:21:40 AM »

I think thats wrong ^

What if all of it is real? That doesnt mean it doesnt exist. It means groups of people worshipped specific gods and may not have been aware of the other gods. That doesnt mean they arent real though
Sarge
Bean

Shotgun rain

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 03:57:43 PM »

Most of the ancient items, enemies and other stuff in spelunky were related to Egypt. Udjat eye, Hedjet, Sceptre, Ankh, Mummy, Anubis, Book of the Dead, Golden scarab and the Temple level's extra background (carvings).

Hinduism things were kapala, Kali, Yama and a exception is hell (which is part of other religions too)

I would list some items that was from a movie/place/whatever
Crysknife: Dune (1965)
Golden Idol: Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Killer bee: Africanized bee from Africa
Golden monkey: A endangered monkey species found in central Africa
Jiang shi: A "hopping" zombie from chinese folklore
Succubus: A demon from medieval folklore

I'm sorry if I missed anything/made a mistake
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: