Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The 10 commandments for chasing Kenneth's high score  (Read 4967 times)
Buddy7heElf
Shoot

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »

Okay, I thought I'd start a topic about Kenneth's ridiculous gold run for fun. His score of 2.3 million seems unattainable. I've had some good runs, but nothing close to his top score yet. Anyway, here's how I see it being done--any advice is welcome.

1. If you don't get a jetpack on level 2, start over.
2. If you don't get the key and chest or the sunglasses on level 2, start over.
3. If you don't get the mattock or enough bombs for gems on level 2, start over.
4. Don't leave gems to save bombs--pray for mattock or bombs on next level.
5. Don't risk destroying alters (The ball and chain has ruined great runs for me).
6. Don't get cute with shopkeepers--kill them the safest way possible.
7. Don't get careless with the ghost.
8. Stay patient.
9. Go to the mothership (It gets you two extra levels and the Plasma Cannon).
10. And most importantly, have no life so you have time to go through this tedious process in Spelunky over and over and over again, haha.

That's what I have. Anybody have any other tips other than the obvious ones that require all the gold possible?
Hired Hans
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:10:36 PM »

Agree with all those points.

But I wonder what is the best route - complete Hell and get the bonus, or do what I did to get my top score and go to the alien ship, get that launcher gun and smash every single last block of all three temple levels, take every piece of gold and ghost run every single gem? It was a painfully long process but at the time i calculated i'd get more that way than using what few bombs i had in the room of gold.

Does anyone know how he did it exactly?

Buddy7heElf
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 10:17:01 AM »

That's a good point, but the only hope is to go through hell, I believe. I don't think you can pass up on the city of gold, the extra 100,000 in finishing, and the tower of red jewels. We'd need to get very fortunate and stockpile on bombs for levels 4-2, the city of gold, and hell after losing the plasma cannon for the sceptor.

Or... on the dream of all dreams, by some miracle, we could get a shop on 4-1 with the helping hand characters, somehow keep one of them alive, and have him carry either the sceptor or plasma cannon through the door while you carry the other item. Obviously that's near impossible, but something to dream about.

Buddy7heElf
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 10:33:19 AM »

Revised plan (Kenneth got a new ridiculous high score of 2.56 mil by getting the plasma cannon past 4-1 with a helping hand):

Okay, now we're all looking hopeless. I'd say we need to get the plasma cannon in a crate in the first levels, haha--along with a jetpack of course.  Good luck, fellow spelunkers.
Hired Hans
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 12:54:16 AM »

Oh no! Just when i thought i was out of Spelunky... they pull me back in!

Almost 1000 plays and yet i never thought of helping hands as anything more than a nuisance. Thank you and also damn you for letting me know of that tiny tiny chance that exists for a helping hand to survive to 4-1. Now I have to play again.

So... in practise, it's going to be nearly impossibly to get a helping hand to through the spaceship. Which leads me to believe we either need to carry him through the levels and therefore defeat the spaceship with bombs alone (doable... but a little tricky if theres an angry shopkeeper running around on it. Not impossible though.

Two questions:

1) am i right in thinking a high score would count equally well on coop? Getting a friend (or my bro) to help must surely be much easier than a helping hand.

2) i haven't had much experience with the helpers - do they pick up any weapon you put on the floor? Is there AI good enough to get them to hold the launcher or the sceptre without them using them causing problems? LOVE this game!
Buddy7heElf
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 07:20:10 PM »

Co-op scores don't count towards the leaderboard, or else it would be an unfair advantage. A separate leaderboard for co-op would be pretty cool, though.

I've never tried to keep a helping hands character alive, and they usually kill themselves anyway or do something stupid. I think we'd just really have to get super super lucky and get one on the ice level after the mothership or get one on 4-1. Keeping him alive seems impossible, but Kenneth told me he did it, so...

Anyway, I think if you set a weapon next to him he'll just pick it up, but you're probably right in holding him the entire time or he'd kill himself. Maybe you could trap him in a spot with a pushable block and get him out after the level. I don't know--I've never done it. Good luck trying. Smiley
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »

He always whips me, takes my weapon, and kills me Sad

feared
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 01:29:04 PM »

Maximum money would include:

1.  Plasma Cannon in crate in 1-1
2.  Jetpack in shop in 1-2
3.  Finish mothership
4.  Helping Hands in 4-1 (don't even try to get him from like 2-3 to 4-1)
5.  Restart like 100,000 times until you get that to happen in one run.
6.  Stop in Vegas or buy a Powerball ticket before you go to bed.

Also, regarding the Helping Hands guy, he just has to stay alive.  So box him in then exit the level.  He should be with you.  It should work similar to how the second (or more) co-op character works.  I haven't tinkered with them enough to verify this but I think that's how it should work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: