Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Online Spelunky Coop Mod  (Read 25145 times)
Twitch
Shoot

me@tw1tchy.com
View Profile Email
« on: March 17, 2010, 12:20:17 AM »

Hello Mossmouth, I am in the process of coding a multiplayer Spelunky coop mod (using 39dll), and no, not using the same keyboard, this works over the internet, lagless too. I've got the basis down already, the other player can connect and see you walking around and all that, but I'm still in process of:

• Level Gen script sending the information to the other player, creating the identical room for each player. (I already have 70% of the code to do this).
  • Enemy synchronization on both screens.
  • Attacking showing on both screens.
  • Picking up items on both screens.

If I have enough encouragement and work out my problems, I could be done pretty soon.

Also, if level gen fails in the end, then I may make a CTF Spelunky gamemode (capture the Idol?).
Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:21:35 AM »

And I get to test it.  Grin
By the way, it works really well so far.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 12:24:45 AM by Patrick » Logged
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:23:53 AM »

If you can do this you would be a god.

Do you have it working AT ALL? (say on the title screen?) or is it pipe dreams right now

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Twitch
Shoot

me@tw1tchy.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:26:01 AM »

Do you have it working AT ALL? (say on the title screen?) or is it pipe dreams right now

Yeah, Patrick is my tester.

And no, not pipe dreams, the title screen works like a charm, we can walk around and run and whatnot and we'll see exactly where eachother is at any given time.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 12:27:13 AM »

And no, not pipe dreams, the title screen works like a charm, we can walk around and run and whatnot and we'll see exactly where eachother is at any given time.
Really? Most.... interesting.

As you may know some one is working on a multaplayer mod as it is, talking to them could be most helpful on both sides

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Twitch
Shoot

me@tw1tchy.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 12:28:57 AM »

Really? Most.... interesting.

As you may know some one is working on a multaplayer mod as it is, talking to them could be most helpful on both sides

Nope, I don't think it matters. Theirs is a multiplayer mod with the one keyboard, ie no data to send over, all he has to do is change objects' variables and run scripts on them.

Plus I have all the code I need, and the ideas how to do it, I just haven't gotten around to slotting everything in place yet.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 12:35:55 AM »

Fair, fair. So what is the system for the two games to contact over the internet if I may ask

Twitch
Shoot

me@tw1tchy.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 12:38:40 AM »

Fair, fair. So what is the system for the two games to contact over the internet if I may ask

32Dll, a Dll for gamemaker which allows sending of data over the internet to be received by the same exe.

I'm sending over data like position, sprite index, image index, and soon, hopefully sending data when you pick up an item, to be displayed on the other person's screen.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 12:45:32 AM »

32Dll, a Dll for gamemaker which allows sending of data over the internet to be received by the same exe.

I'm sending over data like position, sprite index, image index, and soon, hopefully sending data when you pick up an item, to be displayed on the other person's screen.
Sounds like you really do know what you doing, I had miss-judged, sorry.

Let me know if I can help.

Hayden
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 01:52:57 AM »

How would you choose who to connect to over the internet?

Would people host games or something?

'Cause seriously, this sounds epic. Cheesy

And, a big question:

Do you share health and/or what happens if one player dies? ;P

If you don't want to spoil this stuff, don't worry.
Twitch
Shoot

me@tw1tchy.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 02:01:59 AM »

How would you choose who to connect to over the internet?

Would people host games or something?

'Cause seriously, this sounds epic. Cheesy

And, a big question:

Do you share health and/or what happens if one player dies? ;P

If you don't want to spoil this stuff, don't worry.

1: Yup, I made a Host/Connect menu in which you enter the other person's IP.

2: Nope, I was discussing with Patrick about that. We might have 4hp each, if one person dies, then the next level they come back with 4hp, and the other player loses 1hp. If the other player has 1hp left, then you won't come back.
Hayden
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 02:16:44 AM »

Sounds like you have this 100% under control.

You will instantly gain a great reputation if you do manage to make this. Cheesy

Good luck. Smiley
Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 03:20:19 AM »

We might have 4hp each, if one person dies, then the next level they come back with 4hp, and the other player loses 1hp. If the other player has 1hp left, then you won't come back.
Actually, I believe it was if P1 dies, next level he comes back with 1hp, and P2 has 1hp less. A little bit like Mario and Luigi life sharing in SMB3.

We think that's probably a good idea because it means a bad partner weighs you down... a crucial element of Coop play. Unfortunately it's a bit on the frustrating side, too, but it's the best idea we have at this stage.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:30:05 AM by Patrick » Logged
Hayden
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 03:40:27 AM »

I like that idea better. It will make both players be their best.

How would the menu screen work? If someone goes through the start room or a shortcut room would the game automatically start?

Which creates the question, will everything be unlocked to start with? If not, how would the connection work with one person who hasn't unlocked anything and another has?

One more thing: Will there be two spelunkers, or a spelunker and a damsel?

Edit: Sorry for all the questions. I guess it just sounds really exciting. Smiley

Personally, I'd like to play with MGG. Cheesy

Yes, you, MGG. I just think it'd be fun to play with you. (Okay, I'm thinking of rephrasing that.. Don't take it the wrong way. :l)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 03:42:46 AM by Hayden » Logged
Patrick
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 04:14:46 AM »

How would the menu screen work? If someone goes through the start room or a shortcut room would the game automatically start?

Which creates the question, will everything be unlocked to start with? If not, how would the connection work with one person who hasn't unlocked anything and another has?

One more thing: Will there be two spelunkers, or a spelunker and a damsel?
Well, we found that when I had unlocked everything but Twitch hadn't, he would see me climbing and walking off but no ladder or shortcut house. Then I'd switch to Tunnel Man and come back, and he would actually see me as Tunnel Man, even though he hadn't unlocked him yet.

And to answer your other question, no, it's 2 Spelunkers (unless you use changing or TM room) until we/Twitch decides otherwise.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: