Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky X (v0.32)  (Read 47301 times)
idoru
Shoot

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2010, 09:32:43 PM »

Spelunky X

This is an early release of a mod I plan on adding quite a bit to. The general idea is to add more roguelike elements while keeping the general feel of play similar. What I've done so far is roughly one third of the basic functionality I'd like to add, so I'm dubbing this release v0.30. The changes here aren't too flashy; I'm releasing this now mainly to get feedback on the features and their balance.

So anyway, the features:

• Experience and skills system: You now earn experience for killing enemies. It can be used to buy skills at skill shops as well as some other shops. Skill shops will appear more often than other shops. Experience is tracked just like gold; to toggle the HUD display between gold and experience, press the T key.
  • Poison: Some enemies are poisonous. The more times you get hit by a poisonous enemy, the quicker your poison meter goes up. This is indicated by the heart icon on the HUD. When the poison meter gets full, you will take damage. Some enemies are more poisonous than others. Antidotes are now available in shops to cure poison.
  • Ten skills for now. I plan on adding several more, though some may take longer depending on how difficult they are to implement.
    • Free Action: You can move through webs unhindered.
    • Clear Mind: The effects of being stunned are greatly reduced.
    • Spirit Ward: You are immune to spirits.
    • Haste: You move 50% faster than normal and can shoot firearms faster.
    • Poison Resistance: The effects of poison are halved.
    • Poison Immunity: The effects of poison are nullified.
    • Long Fall: You can fall two squares more than normal before taking damage.
    • Super Long Fall: You can fall four squares more than normal before taking damage.
    • Quick Reload: Guns can be fired twice as fast.
    • Lightning Reload: Guns can be fired four times as fast.
  • Four new enemies: These were added to support the poison system. There is one in each area. Most are based on existing enemies but are not quite the same. I had fun making these and hope figuring out how best to deal with them provides at least a small challenge.
  • Overhauled stat tracking: This is mostly "under the hood". The original stat tracking was hard-coded and I modified it to use variables that can all be changed in one location. This makes adding stat tracking for new enemies and traps much quicker. Spelunky X won't use the normal stats file, but instead will create and use xstats. Deaths and kills in this file are alphabetized.

I'm most interested in what people think of the balance in shop generation (i.e. too many skill shops or too few) as well as experience gained vs. how much skills cost (i.e. do you not have enough to buy skills, or can you buy out the entire shop and have experience left over?). Input on anything else is appreciated, too.

Finally, the download link is below. Have fun!
v0.30: http://www.mediafire.com/?ymahyhmkmmm
v0.31: http://www.mediafire.com/?wyhmmwemnwe
v0.32: http://www.mediafire.com/?mdzrntyyzwm

Source (GMK file):
v0.32: http://www.mediafire.com/?dgzwmodnygm

MOD EDIT: Apparently these links are down, so here's a nice little mirror provided by Mvskoke: http://www.mediafire.com/?4x9dk9xhxce5rbi
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 11:11:07 AM by Kegluneq » Logged
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 09:47:50 PM »

This is going to be epic. downloading

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
gummybears123
Mossy

Yummy Gummy!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:50:57 PM »

IDORU!!!!!!!!!!!! EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This should be with Tastes like Spelunky!

I made a rap.
It sounds dumb, like reading a map
I really should stop this thing before it goes too far
But I don't really car as long as I stay below the radar
Those big companies won't get me no
I'll get away before the fuzz show

-Most famous rapper of Mossmouth
Kirbylord
idoru
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 09:58:49 PM »

I don't know if I'd call it "epic". It's pretty basic right now and doesn't play too much different from the original. However, I do have a lot of stuff planned that should be pretty cool if it works out.
gummybears123
Mossy

Yummy Gummy!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 10:00:19 PM »

I don't know if I'd call it "epic". It's pretty basic right now and doesn't play too much different from the original. However, I do have a lot of stuff planned that should be pretty cool if it works out.

I LOVE it! Even if some stuff isn't good, GREAT IDEA!  Once this is done, it'll surely be EPICTOCIOUS!

I made a rap.
It sounds dumb, like reading a map
I really should stop this thing before it goes too far
But I don't really car as long as I stay below the radar
Those big companies won't get me no
I'll get away before the fuzz show

-Most famous rapper of Mossmouth
Kirbylord
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 10:33:40 PM »

It's a base.

A base that could grow into so much more..

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:51:18 PM »

when you take poison damage... the shop keeper kills you Sad Sad I had 40k in the 3rd level and 400 exp Sad

*crys*

DungeonPheonix
Bean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 10:55:28 PM »

Did I ever profess my hatred of spiders? I am going to do so now.

I hate spiders.

I tried out the Haste skill, which was a mistake as I went careening off a cliff into the icy void. A minor graphical nip, the red tint from sating the Kapala's thirst seems to not work, at least while poisoned. All in all, this looks promising, and I'm looking forward to its development.
kinnik
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 02:26:33 AM »

Nice!  I really wanted to do this with my mod eventualy..
Are you willing to share your code so we can import a bunch of this into our favorite mods?  BTW.. If you want larger levels... or my recent maze creation formula.. you are of coarse welcome to it.  Just ask. Smiley
Hayden
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 03:51:10 AM »

Holy crap, this mod sounds huge.

It sounds completely epic. I'll download it now. Smiley
idoru
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 07:54:45 AM »

when you take poison damage... the shop keeper kills you Sad

Hm... I can't reproduce this. I tried standing in the shop while taking poison damage, and nothing happened. Then I tried standing in the same spot as the shopkeeper while taking damage, and nothing happened. Then I thought maybe if you're holding an item while taking poison damage the shopkeeper might think you're trying to steal it, but nothing happened there, either. Is there anything you were doing that might have had an effect?

I tried out the Haste skill, which was a mistake as I went careening off a cliff into the icy void.

Yeah, it takes some getting used to. I originally had it set to twice normal speed, but that was way too fast. I settled on 50% faster as a good compromise between too fast but fast enough that it's noticeably different than normal.

A minor graphical nip, the red tint from sating the Kapala's thirst seems to not work, at least while poisoned.

Strange. I thought I had left that code untouched when implementing the poison tint, but maybe not. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Are you willing to share your code so we can import a bunch of this into our favorite mods?  BTW.. If you want larger levels... or my recent maze creation formula.. you are of coarse welcome to it.  Just ask. Smiley

I'll probably share the basic code (experience, skills, poison, and stat tracking) once it gets a little more refined. Thanks for the offer of level code!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 07:56:59 AM by idoru » Logged
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 12:54:30 PM »

Idoru, there is a few ideas in here I would like to use in changed form for evil death, may I talk to you about it?

AresRomanGod
Mossy

I am DEFINITELY not a mod. Flame when you see me.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 04:13:47 PM »

Just encountered a dark ghost. Like the regular one, but it was harder to see because it was gray.

What the hell?

Be afraid.
ipwnu1337
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »

I think that thing appears when you try to rob a skill shop.
AresRomanGod
Mossy

I am DEFINITELY not a mod. Flame when you see me.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2010, 04:17:59 PM »

It only happened when I killed the skill shop guy.

Huh, crap. There were good ones, too. And the Udjat Eye.

Be afraid.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: