Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Imagine : magic signs + room parts editions  (Read 8954 times)
flap
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 06:34:36 AM »

Thank you Urza,

Yes, I had read your .rtf file and would look to build something as easy to integrate as your (even if we will have to change all "scrRoomGenxxx" with mine).

For  now, I have added the 3 scripts in "Load Rooms" (this will load rooms from the files), altered "ScrRoomGen", and added on line in scrInit (the final line, which runs scrRooms(). That script reads the rooms from files).

Thank for the info about the way signs work. In a newer version, I read signs and save them in a map structure. I'll see if I can make it work properly...
flap
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 09:19:52 AM »

Version 0.2

Now you can add signs in the rooms ! (but not in the obstacles yet).
- '//' for comment
- Text after the 10*8 room describtion is considered as messages for signs.

I have compiled it with the 1.2 version of spelunky + magic signs 2.2.2 (found on Urza's post).
However, if signs text is displayed, the "magic" doesn't seem work. I might need some help there...

Next steps will be to :
- have the signs working
- load obstacles
- load every levels from files
- document and explain how it works...

Edit : signs are the symboles. I choose that one because "I" was already taken in the roomGenxxx scripts.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 11:13:07 AM by flap » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »

Evidently magic signs don't initialize in standard levels. It's been so long I forgot how it worked. It's an easy fix though. At almost the very top of oMsgSign's Create event, replace the first if block with this:
Code:
if (not isRoom("rTutorial")) //MagicSigns
{
    message = "";
    message2 = "";
    if (not isRoom("rLevelEditor")) alarm[0] = 1; //MagicSigns
}

I have to say using the section symbol is a tiny bit annoying though. Maybe once all the level types are done we can take stock of what (if any) ASCII symbols are free. Assuming these files are intended to be edited manually, it's not ideal to have something you can't type easily, plus it may cause trouble if this is compiled in GM8.1 (which uses Unicode).

Speaking of that, have you looked at the RoomGen scripts enough to tell if some symbols mean different things in each level type? It would be eliminated to create a standard format. If you haven't done it already, I volunteer to look into those details.
flap
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 02:11:40 AM »

Thank you Urza. I'll try that.

Indeed, I suspect that the same sign can have a different meaning depending on the level. And indeed, we could do some work to create a standard. There is that wiki pages which gives some info. But I haven't checked how reliable it is...

Ok, I won't use that symbol. It is easy to type on a french keyboard but maybe not the others... I might use "(" which seams safe, or something else ("#" or "@"?)

Otherwise, I had a new version ready where obstacles are loaded (with signs). But I'll release it once magic signs are enabled...

EDIT : Ok. I have magic signs working ! I'll post the new version soon.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:33:45 AM by flap » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 10:19:44 AM »

Ah, it's on the French keyboard? That explains why you picked it. US keyboards unfortunately doesn't have it. I guess # seems good, since it's shaped vaguely like a sign.
flap
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 02:44:57 PM »

version 0.3

Signs now work. And the obstackes load as well (with the possibility to add signs there too). Once again, I am afraid to have screwed things up...

With the map making, it is quiet messy between the differents levels (such as the damsel, I think). We might try to use the editor's characters.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 06:52:09 PM »

So I've been cataloging the symbols used, and as you suspected, it's pretty bad. Lots of symbols do get used consistently, like the stuff related to shops, but many letter mean completely different things. Like "t" can be a temple tile, a barrier emitter, or random treasure. And that's not even counting the all the ones that are semantically consistent, but adjusted for the level type. e.g. 1 is also a tile of the native theme, and 2 is a 50% chance of either a native tile or nothing.

I agree that adjusting it all the match .lev files would be the ideal, some things like the 50% chance stuff or some of the shop related parts don't exist in the editor.

P.S. I've only had a chance for a very quick look at the last version, but I found what looks like a mistake near the end of Lev1_Obs6.txt, there's an extra zero. I'm not sure if that will actually mess things up or not.

Edit:
I'm not sure if it's actually good for anything at this stage, but here's a list of all the symbols used in RoomGen scripts and what they mean. I can't swear to 100% accuracy because there was definitely an opportunity for human error at certain stages of compiling this. It's available either as a text file or a CSV table (in the same zip).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:37:38 PM by Urza » Logged
flap
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 02:14:40 AM »

I'll check that lev1_Obs6.txt. A character has probably slipped in there by mistake.

Also, who made that file ? You ? It will probably be very usefull !
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 04:39:07 AM by flap » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »

Yeah, I made it. I hope helps.

By the way, one thing I noticed while I was looking through all those RoomGen scripts, is that obstacles aren't always 5x3. 8, 5 and 6 are always that size, but several levels have a fourth obstacle type that could be anywhere from 3x3 to 5x4.

So that's something you might need to keep in mind for the obstacle file format.
flap
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 11:31:47 PM »

Ah, thank you. I'll keep that in mind. I should be easy to handle.

I will be extremelly busy for the next ten days. So I probably won't be able to do much this soon !
But development will keep going. Next task will probably be to generalise the tiles code befor I move everything into files...
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: