I don't understand versioning and can't be bothered with it, so I'm just adding a number to each release.Official Soundtrack (Kirby 64)Tastes Like Spelunky Ver.2
- Sigh...STILL vanilla Spelunky, but all non-gameplay related changes have been made, including:
- starting stats for all three playables
- all text edits (including intro and credits!)
- all ManTrap and ManTrap-related sprites
- GHOST CHEF
- ManTraps appear in Ice and Temple levels
- other ManTraps are your friends
- new attack animations for the machete, shotgun, web cannon, pistol, bow, and scepter
- mattocks no longer break, bows have infinite arrows, and parachutes never go away
- Yeti King damage algorithm fixed
- and SO MUCH MORE!Bites have yet to be implemented.
However, since the game itself remains largely unaltered, this version is perfectly compatible with most, if not all, custom levels. You should check it out! The next version will change a great deal more!Tastes Like Spelunky Ver.1
- Still vanilla Spelunky, but almost all visual changes have been made. Damsel and Tunnel Man have been replaced by Venus ManTrap and Tunnel ManTrap. Items and treasures have been edited and replaced. Bombs and Ropes are now Bites and Vines, but still behave as they did before. Since Bombs have not been removed yet, they are temporarily Spicy Meatballs.Tastes Like Spelunky Ver.0
- Vanilla Spelunky with Spelunker replaced by ManTrap. The game is almost exactly the same, but you can enjoy all the fun sprites I had to make. Also, other ManTraps aren't your friends yet, but they can't eat you. They now behave like a normal enemy (such as a Snake).
Before I start sharing my ideas, I'd like to make it perfectly clear that I do not have Game Maker and cannot make this mod myself. If one of you brave souls is up to the task, you're more than welcome to take the ideas here and make a Mantrap version of Spelunky.
- I have since gotten hold of Game Maker and will do everything I can figure out on my own. I might need some tech support here and there, though...
Anyway, now that I'm running the show, here are the changes I planned on making:
The core mechanics will stay mostly the same. ManTrap and Spelunker will move the same speed, jump the same height, etc. ManTrap would still have a whip, but it would instead be a green vine it swings in front of it. ManTrap would also still use ropes, but again, they would be vines that it threw instead. It would still have a limited supply of them and find more in crates. Likewise, ManTraps have Bud Bombs in place of the usual kind, and they work in the same way. What distinguishes ManTraps from normal Spelunkers, however, is their Bites. The ManTrap starts with a certain number of them, and they have different effects depending on how they're used. It can't take a bite out of a wall or anything like that, but here's what it can do:
1. Eating people - Using a Bite while carrying any humanoid causes you to swallow it whole. For each person you swallow this way, you gain 1HP. You can try to swallow a Shopkeep, but unless they're dead, they will cause you to explode. If you swallow a Vampire, you gain a Cape but lose 1HP.
2. Eating items - ManTraps can carry items, but have no way of using them due to their limited anatomy. But, if you use a Bite while holding an item, you'll swallow it whole and gain the abilities it would normally grant. Swallow Spring Shoes? You jump higher. Swallow Climbing Gloves? You can climb walls. Swallow a Shotgun? You can BARF BULLETS! Swallow a Jetpack...you get the idea. But you can only have swallowed one item of each type at a time. There are four types of items, and if you swallow another one, it replaces the one you had previously. This way, you'll need Bites to gain abilities and can only have a few at a time. Pressing 'x' while carrying anything causes you to throw it (even weapons like the knife or pistol). Swallow them to use them! The items and their types are as follows:Weapon
- replace your standard attack
Bow, Machete, Mattock, Pistol, Sceptre, Shotgun, and Web CannonActive
- change your physical capabilities
Cape, Climbing Gloves, Jetpack, Pitcher's Mitt, Spring Shoes, and TeleporterPassive
- work without physically changing anything
Ankh, Compass, Hedjet, Kapala, Parachute, Spectacles, Spike Shoes, and Udjat EyeEdibles
- take 30 seconds to digest
Caveman, Crystal Skull, Damsel, Hawkman, Gold Idol, Shopkeeper, Spelunker, Tunnel Man, Vampire, and Yeti
That's about it for basic gameplay stuff. ManTrap would also interact differently with the world of Spelunky. Here are some of the significant ways:
1. You can still 'save' Damsels, but they won't trust their lives to a plant. They start running when they spot you, and you can't pick them up unless they're stunned. They're immune to the whip, but still susceptible to jumps. If she reaches the exit, you'll eat her on the way to the next level (without using a Bite to do so). If you eat her before then, it will still cost you a Bite.
2. Shopkeeps all hate you. They aren't going to peddle their wares to the likes of a ManTrap, so all Shopkeeps would already be on the lookout for nasty man-eating plants. If you get too close to one, they'll attack you on the spot. But they won't be waiting at the exit of the stage for you even if you kill or eat one.
3. Other ManTraps are your friends. They wouldn't eat one of their own kind, so there will be no way the player ManTrap can interact with them. They can be walked past, whipped past, etc. They're completely untouchable (but still behave normally toward Cavemen and such). You can still hit them with thrown objects, and they can be carried and sacrificed at Kali altars.
On the subject of other ManTraps, two more kinds are being introduced. Venus ManTraps are yellow with red vines, and they'll appear in the temple. Tunnel ManTraps are blue with grey vines, and they'll appear in the ice caves. Their presence in the game is a double-edged sword. They eat other humanoid enemies for you...but those are now humanoids you won't get to eat yourself! If you plan to eat a few foes, you'll be competing with the other ManTraps for food. Plus, you can't hurt them in any way, so you'll just have to be quick and get there first. The changing room characters will also be replaced by these two types.
But Spelunker and Tunnel Man will still have their place in this mod. They will instead appear as enemies!
Enemy Spelunker: spawns as one of four possibilities. May be seen carrying a Machete, a Bow, a Pistol, or nothing. Attacks with the whip rapidly if unarmed. Also throws any encountered objects (similar to a Monkey).
Enemy Tunnel Man: always spawns with a Mattock. He runs back and forth swinging it furiously, which could be both harmful or beneficial depending on the circumstances.
Both of them can be stunned, eaten, or sacrificed at Kali altars.
Now, the playable characters will all get some tweaks.ManTrap Stats
Bud Bombs: 4
Since you can eat people to gain HP, you start with less than usual. Make good use of your Bites and you'll survive just fine.Venus ManTrap Stats
Bud Bombs: 4
Delicate flowers like this one need to watch how much they eat, so they start with fewer Bites. That also offsets their higher starting HP.Tunnel ManTrap Stats
Bud Bombs: 0
Tunnel ManTrap has it rough, but that's because it swallowed a Mattock that replaces its standard whip. Swallowed items will not replace its Mattock.
Many other things have been added or changed, but I won't spoil the fun for you!