Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Throwing upwards and falling damsel bugs  (Read 4494 times)
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2009, 11:05:43 AM »

These have probably already been reported, but I haven't seen them, so here goes.

You can't throw things upwards in a one tile high passage. For example, you can't get a bomb to stick to the ceiling in such an area.

Also, I had a damsel and a pick head fall straight down a large (two screens or so) drop. Every time I descended a bit, the damsel would bounce off the pick head, taking more damage. By the time the two of them had reached ground, she'd bounced 4 times (and had died).
AresRomanGod
Mossy

I am DEFINITELY not a mod. Flame when you see me.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 01:55:42 PM »

It's the falling animation, plus the impact. Plus the frozen region where it occurs.

About the one-tile high thing, I'm pretty sure that it can stick to the ceiling.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Be afraid.
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 05:58:33 PM »

I just tried it again, and I still can't seem to throw things upwards in short passages.
AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 05:58:58 PM »

I just tried it again, and I still can't seem to throw things upwards in short passages.

Huh, maybe it's just me, then.

Be afraid.
fsk
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 11:01:03 PM »

I noticed this also.  It's very easy to reproduce.  Just get into a one-square-high corridor, pick up a pot, and throw it up.

Another annoying bit is that, with the bow, you can't shoot diagonally upwards.
eguee
Mosskid

HYAAAAH!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 12:41:37 AM »

Use the bomb shortcut key.
Swapping to the bombs is suboptimal.
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 11:51:33 AM »

Well, the same applies to any thrown object. It's just that it usually gets me when I try to stick a bomb to the ceiling of such a corridor. The other time it gets me though is when there's a spider like so (spider where the bat is):

Spelunky Wall Spelunky Wall Spelunky Wall
 Spelunky Wall Spelunky Wall Spelunky Bat
 Spelunky Dude

I can't get through this without using a bomb or taking a hit since I can't throw anything upwards here.
AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 12:37:12 PM »

Ah, okay.

Yeah, that sucks hard.

Be afraid.
fsk
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 01:06:12 PM »

Well, the same applies to any thrown object. It's just that it usually gets me when I try to stick a bomb to the ceiling of such a corridor. The other time it gets me though is when there's a spider like so (spider where the bat is):

Spelunky Wall Spelunky Wall Spelunky Bat
 Spelunky Dude

I can't get through this without using a bomb or taking a hit since I can't throw anything upwards here.

I thought that you can avoid damage in that situation by running fast.  That worked for me.

Also, a bomb on the floor works.  You use up a bomb, but you save your HPs.
Delmion
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 08:43:58 PM »

If I remember correctly . . .

You can't throw things upwards in a one tile high passage. For example, you can't get a bomb to stick to the ceiling in such an area.

"It's not a bug, it's a feature."  Again, if I remember correctly, Derek deliberately put that into the code for some reason.  I think he did it at the same time that he made it so that yetis would not throw you in similar passages, as being thrown then almost always meant an infinite throw loop.

I would like to see that capability in the player's hands, though.  It's confusing (and dangerous) to suddenly lose a basic function depending on where you stand.

--Delmion
AresRomanGod
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 12:38:31 AM »

If I remember correctly . . .

"It's not a bug, it's a feature."  Again, if I remember correctly, Derek deliberately put that into the code for some reason.  I think he did it at the same time that he made it so that yetis would not throw you in similar passages, as being thrown then almost always meant an infinite throw loop.

I would like to see that capability in the player's hands, though.  It's confusing (and dangerous) to suddenly lose a basic function depending on where you stand.

--Delmion

Ah, that clears everything up. No wonder the yetis didn't throw me in those areas. I always wondered why.

Thanks for clearing it up.

Be afraid.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: