Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mushrooms  (Read 37706 times)
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2010, 11:31:07 PM »

thats becuse that makes no sense.

the mushroom blowing up makes a bit more sense at least

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2010, 10:50:46 AM »

It's not that no one thought of it (just check the lists of suggestions), it's just that it doesn't make sense for there to be much hidden in a mushroom. Ropes are fine, bombs are ok, but you get enough of those out of crates. Nothing else makes much sense.
Hayden
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2010, 08:58:18 PM »

It's not that no one thought of it (just check the lists of suggestions), it's just that it doesn't make sense for there to be much hidden in a mushroom. Ropes are fine, bombs are ok, but you get enough of those out of crates. Nothing else makes much sense.

Think about what you're saying there.
You're modding a game which has a little character with a red nose going down into a bunch of caves, killing snakes, bats, and, oh. SHOPKEEPERS.
He also runs around saving damsels that somehow managed to get themselves in a very awkward place. You also encounter vampires, skeletons that get up and walk, giant yetis, small yetis, alien spaceships, aliens, giant aliens, cavemen, and a giant khali head. Should I keep going, or have I convinced you that it doesn't need to make sence? Just do what's best for the mod. I think that you should make it "Uncommon" to find one bomb or rope in a mushroom.

No, wait. I just remembered that mushrooms spawn alot. Make it rare, then.
Sorry, again, if it sounds like I'm trying to force you to do this.

Edit: I forgot to mention the black market.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 09:01:45 PM by Hayden » Logged
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2010, 11:02:39 PM »

Ah, but you're using the wrong kind of sense. It only needs to make sense within the context established by the rest of the game (that's verisimilitude). In my opinion, finding almost anything other than bombs and ropes under a mushroom would break verisimilitude. As for the bombs and ropes, I just feel they're common enough already that it would just make the mushrooms more of the same.
Hayden
« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2010, 12:11:41 AM »

Ah, but you're using the wrong kind of sense. It only needs to make sense within the context established by the rest of the game (that's verisimilitude). In my opinion, finding almost anything other than bombs and ropes under a mushroom would break verisimilitude. As for the bombs and ropes, I just feel they're common enough already that it would just make the mushrooms more of the same.

Well, if you don't want to put ropes or bombs into the mushrooms, that's your choice and I'll support it.

But remember, crates give you 3 ropes/bombs at a time and theres only about 4 at max in one level, most of which hard to reach.

With the mushrooms, if you do at all consider finding ropes or bombs, I still think it would be balanced since it's so common to get hurt/stunned.

It's still 100% your choice.

Edit: With the "I feel invisible" one, maybe you should make it not trigger traps, like dart traps, tiki traps, moving spike block thing traps, and such.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:27:32 AM by Hayden » Logged
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 09, 2010, 01:52:04 PM »

I considered it, but isn't it powerful enough already?
Hayden
« Reply #111 on: February 09, 2010, 11:46:26 PM »

I considered it, but isn't it powerful enough already?

Well if you don't want things to be overpowered I'd suggest removing the darkness one, because that is very intense. The invisible one is rare enough, right? I've only had it twice.. It would at least make darkness seem less intense.
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2010, 12:50:58 AM »

Darkness and invisiblity should be equally rare.

Hmm... I think I'd rather nerf darkness a bit than buff invisibility. As it is, it already gives a nearly free pass through the level. If it hid you from traps too, there'd be nothing on a normal level to bother you.

On the other hand, I can't think of any good way to nerf darkness. I think I made it more intense than a normal dark level, but considering there are no lights on a normal level, it doesn't really make much difference, and it still needs to have some effect on an already dark level. Any suggestions?
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2010, 12:53:40 AM »

sugeston: it has a half dark level effect, and doubles darkness (IE, each light is worth half) in a normal dark level.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Hayden
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2010, 05:21:30 AM »

Just increase the light around spelunky a bit more, and.. Uh.. Maybe you could make mushrooms glow in the dark? Not much, but at least it's something.. And in real life, there are mushrooms that can glow in the dark.. So at least that will make sense.. Well.. I guess it would make it quite easy if the traps didn't trigger.. But if you won't make that happen, then yes, I'd strongly suggest to increase the light range around the spelunker, and I like that glowing mushrooms idea still. Maybe just make them glow a tiny bit, like the lit traps do.

Just another suggestion. Smiley
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2010, 01:11:26 PM »

Glowing mushrooms is a good idea. I'll look into that.

Edit:
Ok. Nerfed darkness a bit and made the mushrooms glow a little.
Release v1.2: http://ifile.it/8mfa62t
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 05:02:06 PM by MagiMaster » Logged
Hayden
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2010, 07:51:03 PM »

Glowing mushrooms is a good idea. I'll look into that.

Edit:
Ok. Nerfed darkness a bit and made the mushrooms glow a little.
Release v1.2: http://ifile.it/8mfa62t

OK.. It's much better now, thank you. It's still possibly a little un-balanced, because pretty much no matter what you do, it's hard, but it's much better than before. Those glowing mushrooms really do help, so I'm glad you decided to use that. Nice work. Plan on releasing any more updates, maybe in a few days or weeks?
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2010, 09:14:13 PM »

Unless someone finds some bugs or has some good balance suggestions, there's not much left for me to do. I could add more layout pieces, but that really ought to be a seperate mod.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2010, 09:33:35 PM »

I can't... get the download to work.

Hayden
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2010, 11:21:42 PM »

I can't... get the download to work.

Go to the link, then, click "Request download ticket". Then, I think you click "Download". The "Request download ticket" is around the top of the page, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
  Print  

Jump to: