Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Mushrooms  (Read 37692 times)
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 02:27:14 AM »

Each type can do 3 things and the sets could be

(REALLY GOOD/REALLY BAD/FAIRLY BAD)
(GOOD/ A LITTLE NICE/BAD)
(A BIT BAD/A BIT GOOD/NOTHING)
things like that.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 05:42:18 AM »

That's the plan. Any suggestions on which effects count as really good and which are a bit bad?
Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 09:18:39 AM »

That's the plan. Any suggestions on which effects count as really good and which are a bit bad?

Making effect only a little bit bad isn't easy, since just losing 1 health is pretty bad - so the effect has to do less then 1 damage.

maybe a revising of the jump and whip bottoms until hurt or some number of levels passed or a time limit.

or a potion then makes you give one more damage when not using guns - a strength potion of sort.

but what is the worst effect (for the spelunker) and the best effect you intent to create?

Hayden
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 09:56:22 AM »

This sounds very interesting. Cheesy

Don't go ripping off the mushrooms from Mario though. ;P

Anyway, effects..

*LT = For a limited amount of time

• Lose the ability to run (Quite bad) *LT
 • Slowed down (Quite bad) *LT
 • Can't whip (Very bad) *LT
 • Heal (Awesome)
 • Poison (Reduce health [Very bad])
 • Limit your vision (Turn room dark [OMG!])
 • Restrict the ability to jump (Very bad) *LT
 • Stun (Bad) *LT
 • Make you super-hyped (Run faster [Good/Bad, depending on your skill]) *LT
 • Jump higher (Good/Bad, depending on situation) *LT
 • Hallucinations (Enemies that aren't there, blocks that aren't there [Totally lame]) *LT
 • Weaker (Double damage taken [Very bad]) *LT
 • Accidentally misplace an item (The shown up top-left of screen kind of item [Bad, or not so bad, depending on what item is lost])
 • Accidentally drop/light a bomb (Bad)
 • Accidentally use a rope (Bad)
 • Find a bit of gold in said mushroom (Good)
 • Accidentally Misplace some money (Bad)
 • Sprite swap for the whole level (Quite bad)
 • Gain a sixth sense (Spawn a ghost [OMG!])
 • Find a random item in said mushroom (Good)
 • Kill all enemies/damsels/shopkeepers that are not in "The Frozen Zone" (Ghost excluded [Good/bad])

Yes, I've listed some ideas you people have come up with, I'm not taking credit for those. You thought of them first.

Anyway, I have a feeling the list is getting too long, but I have many more ideas. Ask if you want me to continue them. ;P

Edit: Forgot to mention, with that hallucinations one, you should probably edit the sprites a tiny bit to be able to tell the differences between hallucination enemies/blocks and normal enemies/blocks.

Edit again: Just double-reading the post here, and noticed, I forgot to mention something else.. With the wipe out all enemies/shopkeepers/damsels effect listed  above, any shopkeepers killed shouldn't add to your wanted level if you can do that. Smiley

Edit again again: But I don't want to sound like I'm forcing you to add these features.. It's your mod. They're just suggestions.

Hopefully last edit: If you haven't noticed, most are bad too, so you probably can't include all of them or they'd end up making the game much harder.. Unless your a mushroomophobic. Cheesy
I wonder if that's the real phobia name for mushrooms.. Hm.. Oh well, it doesn't matter. Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:14:29 PM by Hayden » Logged
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2010, 09:30:38 PM »

Feel free to continue listing. Even if I don't use everything, someone else might like the idea.

I'm debating on the no-jump effect, since the easiest way to handle limited duration is to have the effect stop when you leave the level, but without being able to jump, it'd be nearly impossible to leave the level.

Can't whip and weakness are good ones. Stun and darkness are already implemented (though both need a tiny bit of tweeking). Hyper sounds fun.

I think I'm going to try grouping effects into sets of three and have each effect appear in two separate sets. With one of the effects being "does nothing", I need to sort out 11 more.

So far I have:
- Stun (Bad)
- Darkness (Really Bad)
- Heal (Really Good)
- Damage (Bad)

So far I like (and think I can implement):
- Slow (Bad)
- No whip (Bad)
- Hyper (?)
- Weaker (Bad)
- Hallucinating (Bad)
- Gem (Good)

Unfortunately, I think that may be leaning too heavily towards bad, so some of that will probably have to change.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 09:55:43 PM »

(good) Time tell ghost is doubled (no effect when ghost is out)
(good-ish) go crazy, walk speed is up to run, run doubled, whip does 4 damage, back swing does 5, jump randomly 0.5*1.5
No jump= death so no.
(good) not sure what to called (thift?) all money is worth double

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Hayden
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 08:05:31 AM »

Okay.. Glad to know that you're toying with some of the ideas. I'll keep adding ideas.

*LT = For a limited amount of time
*Huh? = Not sure if easily possible

- Previously listed

Lose the ability to run (Quite bad) *LT
  Slowed down (Quite bad) *LT
  Can't whip (Very bad) *LT
  Heal (Awesome)
  Poison (Reduce health [Very bad])
  Limit your vision (Turn room dark [OMG!])
  Restrict the ability to jump (Very bad) *LT
  Stun (Bad) *LT
  Make you super-hyped (Run faster [Good/Bad, depending on your skill]) *LT
  Jump higher (Good/Bad, depending on situation) *LT
  Hallucinations (Enemies that aren't there, blocks that aren't there [Totally lame]) *LT
  Weaker (Double damage taken [Very bad]) *LT
  Accidentally misplace an item (The shown up top-left of screen kind of item [Bad, or not so bad, depending on what item is lost])
  Accidentally drop/light a bomb (Bad)
  Accidentally use a rope (Bad)
  Find a bit of gold in said mushroom (Good)
  Accidentally Misplace some money (Bad)
  Sprite swap for the whole level (Quite bad)
  Gain a sixth sense (Spawn a ghost [OMG!])
  Find a random item in said mushroom (Good)
  Kill all enemies/damsels/shopkeepers that are not in "The Frozen Zone" (Ghost excluded [Good/bad])

- New +++ Adding rarity level suggestions * Common, Uncommon, Rare *

Steroid effect - Deal triple damage (Rare + Very good) *LT
  Switch controls - Left = Right, Vice versa, Up = Down, Vice versa (Uncommon + Very bad) *LT *Huh?
  Sore back muscles - Can't crawl (Common + Bad) *LT
  Invincible - Invincible for about 8-12 seconds *Excludes Man Eating Plants, getting squished, spikes, and all other things that are insta-kill* (Rare + Great) *LT
  MGG's Idea - All treasure collected has double value (Uncommon + Good) *LT or whole level
  Sugar Rush - All enemies are slowed down while you maintain a normal speed *Excludes final boss* (Rare + Great) *LT *Huh?
  Increased Charms - All prices for items in shops are halved for the whole level (Rare + Very good) *Huh?
  Detect exit for that level - Compass arrow points to exit even if no compass is owned *Effect can be found even with compass* (Uncommon + Good) *Huh?
  *Already mentioned* Heal - Heal 1 HP (Uncommon + Very good)
  Refreshed - Heal 2 HP (Rare + Great!)
  Infection - Lose 1 HP every 30 seconds or minute for the whole level (Rare + Quite bad)
  Sore legs - Can't jump while running (Uncommon + Quite bad) *Huh?

That's all I can think of right now. But there's definitely more ideas ready to be plucked. Hopefully some that I mentioned here can be used. Smiley
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2010, 11:59:26 AM »

Well, I implemented slow and hyper. Slow's bad, but not all that bad. You have to hold shift to get up to walking speed. Hyper's good, but only a bit. You are at running speed without running. I might tweak the numbers a little bit.

For the effect sets, should the chances be equal for any of the effects, or should there be common/uncommon/rare effects?
Hayden
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 07:27:24 AM »

There should definitely be rarity. The low-level-effect ones could be the common ones (High chance).
The medium-level-effect ones could be uncommon (Medium chance).
The high-level-effect ones could be rare (Low chance).

Examples:

Healing 1HP: See below.
Healing 2HP: If this is included, it should be rare, and Healing 1HP should be uncommon. If not included, then Healing 1HP should be uncommon or rare.

Rarity will make the mod balanced and probably much funner. Either way, it will make more sense. The really good things and really bad things appear less, and the crappy-good things and the just plain crap things appear often.

So, slow and hyper eh? Sounds fun. Cheesy
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 11:20:53 AM »

I'm not sure I have enough crappy good things to finish this though. Everything so far is either very bad, kinda bad or very good. Hyper is pretty much neutral.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 11:26:58 AM »

Just keep working on it, get one out and people well come up with more ideas

Hayden
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 09:08:44 PM »

I'm not sure I have enough crappy good things to finish this though. Everything so far is either very bad, kinda bad or very good. Hyper is pretty much neutral.

As long as you're still working on the mod, then there's plenty of time to think of more good things. Maybe if you can't come up with any for a while, release a version without rarity, and then while people are worshiping you for that, you can think of new ideas in peace. ..Wait, I pretty much just quoted MGG there, but in a longer speech that's easier to understand.
My bad. Cheesy I'll still post, though. I can't let this good 2 and a half minutes of my life go wasted. Sad
MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »

Even without rarity, I don't have quite enough good effects. Really I think having just one more moderately good effect might be enough for a first release, though I could just use the "found a gem."
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 12:08:23 AM »

just have a good chance of healing. that should work for now.

MagiMaster
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 03:41:01 AM »

That's way too good of a good thing. It makes the game much easier if you have too good of a chance of getting more health. (Even a 1 in 3 from a particular mushroom means an extra 4 or so health by the end of the game.) That should be balanced against the bad stuff though. The problem is that with so few good things, everyone would ignore all but the one type once they figured out which one it was.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: