Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: More Spelunky! (mod)  (Read 20566 times)
Personman
Seedling

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2010, 07:19:37 AM »

I got kind of bored of the first four levels, so I completely remade them.

The overarching goal here was to make them more interactive, to make more nifty interactions possible and likely. I went about it in a number of ways:

* There's a significant pushblock theme. There are more of them, and more places where they are useful, and more places where they are dangerous.

* The levels are less linear. There are often ways to go down that aren't the one chosen by the path planner. There are also a lot more ways to move upwards.

* There is no longer a strict you-don't-need-ropes-or-bombs rule. You have these cool items, use them! While bomb-use is required somewhat frequently, there are also more alcoves, so more crates spawn in them, so you get more bombs. Having tested it a lot, it doesn't feel like I come out of level 4 with significantly more or fewer bombs on average than I did in the original game.

* All of the rooms and obstacles are completely redesigned, and there are many more of both. In general there is higher variance within rooms, with the exception of a few new novelty rooms that are less random but have a sort of clever 'point' to them.

* Crate drop rates and a few other numbers here and there have been tweaked to work better with the new rooms. Most notably, Mattocks are more common and cheaper, but break much more quickly; and chests can spawn bombs on the first level, and do so a little bit more frequently.

Working on this gave me an enormous amount of respect for the thought Derek put into making the rooms work together as well as they do. Many of my initial attempts felt absolutely awful by comparison. After studying how the pieces of the original fit together, and extensively testing and refining of my new rooms and obstacles, I think I have been able to capture a decent amount of the essential flow of the game while giving it a refreshingly new flavor.

That said, this is a first release, and hasn't been tested by anyone but me. Feedback is very much appreciated. I've done my very best to eliminate all possibilities of floating spikes and arrow traps in the edge walls, but some little anomalies are bound to crop up. Post bug reports, and I will fix them!

Lastly, there are some silly little game modifiers available - pressing any of QWERTYU from the title screen makes the game a little sillier (press any given key 6-10 times to maximize its brand of silliness). The I key resets everything to normal.

Enjoy!

A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
Hayden
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 07:44:31 AM »

Haha! This is very clever. This mod is great! Nice work. The QWERTYU thing is also really awesome. Nice going with that! Cheesy

10/10. Very fun. Only just started playing and bam. [Possible spoiler for those eager to see what this silliness is] Idol trap, giant spider and about 50 arrow traps.. Veeeerrry nicely done.

----------------------------Edits----------------------------

Just died and restarted - Started in a place where you have to use bombs to escape.. That meant to happen?
---
I'm not one to use internet laugh things, but LOL @ snake pits in this mod with silly set full. Grin
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 08:00:11 AM by Hayden » Logged
DariusK
Bulb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 09:02:49 AM »

Beautiful!

Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:09:58 AM »

Nice, really shows how familiar the old/classic layout becomes over a few thousand play thought (In my case anyway). This left me baffled and confused in a good sense, it feels like a solid mod.

ps. what's the version nr? Grin 
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 11:45:34 AM »

this is quite ... epic.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
gummybears123
Mossy

Yummy Gummy!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 03:11:13 PM »

Very nice Personman! I like it!

I made a rap.
It sounds dumb, like reading a map
I really should stop this thing before it goes too far
But I don't really car as long as I stay below the radar
Those big companies won't get me no
I'll get away before the fuzz show

-Most famous rapper of Mossmouth
Kirbylord
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 04:37:00 PM »

Can I ask you help with something?

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Sudonimus
Mossy

Stop staring.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 08:07:20 PM »

This is... quite amazing...

How is there no such thing as non-existence?!
eguee
Mosskid

HYAAAAH!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 08:19:11 PM »

Smiley
Great mod.

Edit: Ooer. I just found a floating lantern.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 08:20:55 PM by eguee » Logged
Sudonimus
Mossy

Stop staring.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 08:20:43 PM »

eguee...
I don't remember whether you were gone a while
or not 'cause I never remember seeing you.

eguee
Mosskid

HYAAAAH!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 08:22:40 PM »

Lurking around, I'm busy with work and KoL. So I don't have as much time for Spelunky.
Personman
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 08:28:01 PM »

Glad you guys like it!

Hayden: Yes, it is intentional that sometimes you have to use bombs/ropes to get to the exit. Using bombs and ropes is fun! And you get enough more of them in this mod that it tends to balance out. I've never gotten stuck for lack of bombs, nor do I regularly leave level four with more than 10. It may be the case that if you really dedicate a run to collecting bombs you can get too many regularly. If you find this to be the case, let me know.

Delver: Uh, I guess this is 1.0. I guess I could call it .1 instead, but it's not such a large set of changes that it really needs heavy beta testing. There may be bugs, but I'm confident that it's playable as is.

marsgreekgod: You can certainly ask. Shoot me a PM. No promises though, I'm pretty busy.

eguee: A lantern, huh? Interesting. Was it a dark level? Are you sure you didn't press U on the title screen?

A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
Sudonimus
Mossy

Stop staring.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »

About the v1.0,
This is what I've figured.

1 = The first.
  • = Debugged/Changed.
2 = Just the one after 1.9 or 1.99 (if you happen to get that far.)

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong, I want to know how this works.

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 09:17:26 PM »

I would say this is verson 0.25. 1 area is changed (very well, I might add) there are 4 areas.

But I was looking for some tips to change the map around... I keep seeming to... mess up badly.

Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 09:30:30 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

Basically, where you put the number in relation to the . signifies how much of a change there was.

1.0 counts as a release, so unless Personman plans on changing the other areas as well. I guess this could be called 1.0. Otherwise it'd be .1 or something.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: