Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky Fan Patch  (Read 13368 times)
DariusK
Bulb

View Profile WWW
« on: January 14, 2010, 12:57:57 PM »

At Arucard's suggestion, I've been working on a fan patch of v1.1 which fixes a few persistent bugs in Spelunky.

So far I have made the following changes:

I pulled some of the bugs from this forum and some of them from the Spelunky wiki. Is there anything else really major I'm missing here? I don't really want to mess around with joystick and hardware configuration bugs because they're hard to test.

But if there's a bug you would like fixed, let me know here and if it's easy for me to test and reproduce, I'll give it a shot. I am not making any promises here that I will fix what you want me to! I also will not be adding features or changing rules of the game. This is strictly a bug fixing patch.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:21:41 AM by DariusK » Logged

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 01:07:41 PM »

Oh... I like it.... but the smash trap and a bug? how can it NOT kill you?

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
DariusK
Bulb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 01:29:28 PM »

The smash trap was a bug where it would only record a death stat if you somehow lived through getting smashed! Which is impossible, and also wrong. Now it correctly records a death by smash trap.

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 01:41:43 PM »

I have lived threw getting smashed... be respawning... kind.

but yeah that would be a glitch.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 03:32:20 PM »

Not sure if it still exists, but there was something about dying on the Moai head level and not respawning inside. Might be hard to test, but you can probably tell if there is something out of place in the code.
Was the arrow trap not shooting if right in front of it fixed?
The other one I would suggest is running speed does not translate after climbing. (even though it will handicap me personally)
Glad to see this in production, I look forward to it, and Speluny Twitter!

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
DariusK
Bulb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 03:44:13 PM »

Not sure if it still exists, but there was something about dying on the Moai head level and not respawning inside. Might be hard to test, but you can probably tell if there is something out of place in the code.
Can you find the actual bug for me?
Was the arrow trap not shooting if right in front of it fixed?
I haven't seen this in v1.1... but if it is known to exist in 1.1, no, I have not fixed it. Again, link to a bug description?
The other one I would suggest is running speed does not translate after climbing. (even though it will handicap me personally)
Not 100% sure about this one. Changing it is more of a gameplay fix than a bug fix... I'll consider it.

Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »

It IS possible to survive a smash trap. It's easier to notice when you have high hp, but aside from crushing you to death between itself and a solid, touching certain sides (I think it's just the one in front, but I may be wrong) removes about one health per frame.

So if you play with 99 hp, it is possible to live through a smash trap encounter.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 06:04:18 PM »

Which smash trap we talking about? the ones that come from the picking up the golden head in level 4, or the ones that just hang out in level 4?

if it's the thromps (what I call smash traps, and smash traps being the ones that crush you) yeah you can live with 4 health (and takeing 3 damage) if you get it just wrong or right.

gummybears123
Mossy

Yummy Gummy!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 08:13:28 PM »

Its thwomps

I made a rap.
It sounds dumb, like reading a map
I really should stop this thing before it goes too far
But I don't really car as long as I stay below the radar
Those big companies won't get me no
I'll get away before the fuzz show

-Most famous rapper of Mossmouth
Kirbylord
DariusK
Bulb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 10:43:04 AM »

I'm thinking of making it so that the backswing of a whip will destroy a Jar. It always bothered me that it didn't, and to ME it's a bug. What do you folks think?

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 11:40:56 AM »

I guess it's a  bug?

Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 12:36:10 PM »

It should, it hits everything else, so I concur. I'll try to cite and/or locate the source of those other bugs too, Professor K. Smiley

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
DariusK
Bulb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 03:05:14 PM »

Okay, I made the backswing destroy jars.

I also tracked down and fixed a nasty little bug. In certain cases, by jumping and hitting your head on a ceiling at the start of a drop, you could take damage from a 5-tile-high drop, as reported here: http://spelunky.wikia.com/wiki/Bugs#Falling_damage_from_4-tile_drops

gummybears123
Mossy

Yummy Gummy!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »

I never knew that.... wow

I made a rap.
It sounds dumb, like reading a map
I really should stop this thing before it goes too far
But I don't really car as long as I stay below the radar
Those big companies won't get me no
I'll get away before the fuzz show

-Most famous rapper of Mossmouth
Kirbylord
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 04:35:53 PM »

nice job so far... OH
BUG

alien bosses go  into normal sprite for one frame before hey die.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: