Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: a few possible bugs  (Read 12256 times)
goombapatrol
Shoot

View Profile
« on: January 09, 2010, 08:54:51 PM »

well, i haven't really had much of a chance to browse through the rest of the bugs, but i think i've found one or two.
firstly, after charging up the bow all the way, spelunky automatically runs. i don't know if this is the intended behavior, but it doesn't seem right. make me want to use the bow even less.
second, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO-S5TwOGgA
color's a bit off, but you get the picture. graphical glitch, but one nonetheless.

lastly, i noticed that when i jump onto a rope (or anything hanging e.g. vine) while holding shift to run, my character remains running after i jump into the air. this is rather annoying, but not too critical.

love the game, you've done fantastic work!

also, one quick question, before i forget.
where is the game's saved data stored? i would like to play this game with my sibling without having our scores collide. making a new folder for the game did not work, is there a hidden/registry file that stores the data? (one i could back up) appreciated.
Darkness3313
Mosskid

That reminds me of a puzzle...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 08:57:13 PM »

Which Version are you playing?

Also, Put your brothers version into a different folder altogether.
goombapatrol
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 09:26:45 PM »

well, i tried that.
made a separate folder and killed myself a few times.
the death count also went up on my own.

playing 1.1 (just got it about a week ago)
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 09:27:04 PM »

putting your brothers version in a new folder won't help it saves in the regestory, there isn't much you can do about it. sorry.

he is playing 1.1 you can tell becuse of the ice.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
goombapatrol
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:27:34 PM »

oh well, thanks anyways. (do you know what registry file this is?)

maybe a future update could allow for multiple save files?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 09:33:34 PM by goombapatrol » Logged
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 09:35:27 PM »

I don't think so, just take it and don't worry about it to much. (or use the text you get to save your kills and move it out when he plays so he can have is own, so you can know at least how many is each person)

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 07:27:56 AM »

Won't the number of kills still be saved in the registry though? So it will add them together on the next play.
Also that hanging run bug works whenever you leave the ground in a run, until you hit the ground again. Meaning hanging, (rope, vine, corner) swimming, etc.
Watch this, the second half of the video shows the running bug (though it's from an earlier version, it still exists the same way.)

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 11:49:09 AM »

Won't the number of kills still be saved in the registry though? So it will add them together on the next play.
Also that hanging run bug works whenever you leave the ground in a run, until you hit the ground again. Meaning hanging, (rope, vine, corner) swimming, etc.
Watch this, the second half of the video shows the running bug (though it's from an earlier version, it still exists the same way.)
It well, but it's for there own record.

goombapatrol
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 05:50:20 PM »

how about the bow? is that a bug?
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 09:03:35 AM »

Yes, but it's been reported and not fixed yet. Either he's not really concerned with it, or it's too hard coded to be worth fixing or something.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
DariusK
Bulb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 10:24:05 AM »

how about the bow? is that a bug?
The problem with that bug is... how would you design the fix to it? There are three action buttons in Spelunky.

Z: jump
X: attack/use/run
C: switch item

You have to hold down X in order to charge up the bow. But holding down X also makes you run. That's just how it works, and it makes sense to have the X button do both things it's supposed to. There are two options I can see:

- This would be rather inelegant: adding a separate button for running or for charging up the bow.
- Make is that you can't run while charging the bow. I guess this is sort of "realistic" in that you probably couldn't run around with a fully charged bow. But it might take away some strategies where you'd want to run with a charged bow (getting the drop on a boss with a bomb arrow, for example).

As an aside, I use the "down to run" option so I *do* have a separate run button, but not everyone has that and I understand Derek's desire to keep the controls elegant.

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 11:01:36 AM »

DariusK

Um... there are more actions buttons... i have a run and attack button?

DariusK
Bulb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 11:13:12 AM »

DariusK

Um... there are more actions buttons... i have a run and attack button?
You're right... I was just thinking of the only buttons I ever use. Still, the fact is that it would be an inelegant solution to make the holding down the action button not also cause you to run at the same time in the singular case of the arrow charging.

goombapatrol
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 07:55:41 PM »

oh wow, i totally didn't realize that holding 'x' made you run.
i always stuck to using shift. makes a whole lot more sense now.

even if he doesn't 'fix' it, maybe he could add an option in config to 'disable run with x'?
gummybears123
Mossy

Yummy Gummy!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 08:00:24 PM »

Wow, I never noticed that either...

I made a rap.
It sounds dumb, like reading a map
I really should stop this thing before it goes too far
But I don't really car as long as I stay below the radar
Those big companies won't get me no
I'll get away before the fuzz show