Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Changes to Spelunky: PC to XBLA  (Read 15974 times)
Anifanatic
Bean

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2009, 11:22:20 PM »

I was wondering what changes will be included with the new release of Spelunky to XBLA. Will you have to change any names for legal reasons (Kali, "Snakes, I hate snakes", and maybe some others)? What will be new to the game? What will be lost?
Derek
Mossmouth
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 02:21:44 AM »

I don't think I'll have to change any names... unless Kali has a good lawyer. Wink

The way I'm thinking about it right now is that the two versions are going to go down separate paths from here on out... meaning that the XBLA version will most likely have everything that 1.0 has in it.  On top of that, I'd definitely like to add some new stuff - anything from new items and monsters to special modes and features that take advantage of the 360.  You know, Spelunky is one game where I can see achievements actually making a lot of sense!

But I'm imagining that a lot is going to happen on the PC side, too, once the source code is released.  A lot of people seem interested in modding the game and I'm all for it.  Kind of how many of the popular roguelikes have different variants... e.g. Nethack/SlashEM, all the *band variants, etc.  I'm hoping that we'll see a lot of cool Spelunky variants, too... and I'd like to use Spelunky World and the forums to keep the mods organized and offer my support.

So yeah, two games starting from the same point and taking two different paths (not that some cross-pollination isn't inevitable).  Anyway, that's how I like to think about it. Smiley
Anifanatic
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 11:39:47 AM »

That's awesome, all the more reason to get both. Thanks, and I can't wait to see what it comes out with! Are the achievements already set, or can I start a thread for achievement suggestions?  Shocked
Phasma Felis
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 04:27:37 PM »

Will you have to change any names for legal reasons (Kali
You know Kali is an actual Hindu goddess, right? She wasn't made up for Indiana Jones.  Smiley
Anifanatic
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 05:38:34 PM »

Will you have to change any names for legal reasons (Kali
You know Kali is an actual Hindu goddess, right? She wasn't made up for Indiana Jones.  Smiley

Yeah, but the "Snakes, I hate Snakes" might be a problem, and the whole theme and setting along with it too Tongue I mean, whips and leather jackets exist put when you put them all together... ;P
Credendo
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 07:19:02 PM »

What are the odds of some co-op spelunking? Seems like a good game to do together, maybe zelda 4 swords style "co-op" vs.
rrrowdy
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 08:25:15 PM »

You know, Spelunky is one game where I can see achievements actually making a lot of sense!

"Patrick Bateman" - sacrifice ten damsels during a playthrough.

There's a lot of level editing and sharing via the TigSource thread; it'd be cool if something like that could be incorporated into the arcade version.
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 06:08:40 AM »

You used GM to make it right? How easy would it be to add a new area, 'cause I could see some custom areas rather than seperate levels being a big deal. I think it would be cool to incorporate them into the game, even if you would just switch out tilesets or objects.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
DarkShadow1
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 05:09:13 PM »

Can't wait for this. Along with Game#3(from The Behemoth), this will make my next summer AWESOME!!
Phasma Felis
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 12:30:44 AM »

There is nothing in Spelunky that could conceivably pose a copyright problem.

I'd hope Derek would get rid of that irritating "frozen zone" business. It's apparently an artifact of using Game Maker.
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 01:00:09 AM »

I'd hope Derek would get rid of that irritating "frozen zone" business. It's apparently an artifact of using Game Maker.
Not just game maker. The frozen zone is a basic memory saving trick. Without it, the game would be trying to do physics calculations and all sorts of checks for EVERYTHING in the level on EVERY frame. Which would slow it down a LOT.
It's less a game maker thing, more a platformer thing.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Phasma Felis
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 02:02:26 AM »

Not just game maker. The frozen zone is a basic memory saving trick. Without it, the game would be trying to do physics calculations and all sorts of checks for EVERYTHING in the level on EVERY frame. Which would slow it down a LOT.
It's less a game maker thing, more a platformer thing.
And that was a serious issue for, say, Super Nintendo games. Right now, a typical console or laptop computer has the memory and processing power to handle dozens or even hundreds of textured, bump-mapped 3D objects moving and rotating and interacting with each other and with vast, detailed terrain in realtime. There is no reason why a dozen or so non-rotating sprites interacting in a 2D plane a few thousand pixels square should pose any challenge if it's coded and optimized competently. People are doing that on telephones.
johnnoz
Bean

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 04:46:03 AM »

I have a pretty darn good system and i recently discovered that I can't run a video capturing program with spelunky and keep a decent framerate. 2d games can be a surprising drain on modern computers and I'm pretty darn sure that the frozen zone is there for a well thought out reason.

Plus if it wasn't there robbing the Black Market would be almost impossible...

Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 05:18:07 AM »

Yeah, I too have a decent, but not impressive system. Yet a lot of GM games slow down, particularly when transparent textures are on screen. However I can run many 3D shooters (like FEAR and Painkiller) at max settings with no slowdown, and bigger games (like Oblivion and Fallout) with mid-range settings with minimal slowdown. Really irritates me that I can fly around a lush forest on horseback with little problem, but I can't collect gold in "N" without it freezing every time. Huh?

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Phasma Felis
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 04:51:57 AM »

I have a pretty darn good system and i recently discovered that I can't run a video capturing program with spelunky and keep a decent framerate. 2d games can be a surprising drain on modern computers
If they're poorly coded and optimized, yes. It's not Derek's fault; anything that adds an additional layer between game code and hardware (like Game Maker or Flash) adds a good bit of processing overhead at the best of times, and on top of that Game Maker and Flash are about as well-optimized as a concussed prairie dog. (And Flash is often run on top of a browser interface, which adds even more overhead, which is why you can sometimes see significant slowdown in Flash games that would have run fine on a goddamn Commodore 64.)

This isn't generally a problem in non-Flash/Game Maker 2D games, assuming they're remotely competently done. See for example World of Goo, which can handle hundreds or thousands of springs and moving masses linked together in a vast network, every one affecting every other one constantly, without a hiccup on modern machines.

And since there's no Game Maker for the Xbox, the XBLA Spelunky will be running in native code, so a skilled designer like Derek shouldn't have any issues at all getting it to run at top speed. So I'm really hoping we lose the frozen region.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: