Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game Maker  (Read 8392 times)
ManaUser
Bean

View Profile
« on: December 25, 2009, 11:25:36 PM »

I hope it's OK to start this topic here. It seems reasonable to have some information about it under the heading of "source".

So I've never used it before, I guess the main thing I want to know is whether the free version is capable of compiling a game like Spelunky.

I ask because as much fun as modding Spelunky sounds like it would be, I'm not prepared to buy Game Maker to do it, especially since I've heard they have a very annoying licensing scheme that tends to "forget" you've paid.

Things that hop are evil.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 11:57:20 PM »

It can make a game like spelunky, but it would be hard. You can't edit spelunky itself with out buying it (he used stuff you have to pay for). If you have any questons about it, ask me

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
ManaUser
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2009, 12:16:23 AM »

I see. Too bad.

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:22:36 AM »

I would start useing it if you want to get into games, It's easy. Or if you really want to go in easy land rpg maker is really good.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2009, 05:52:13 AM »

Better save some of that Christmas money, huh?

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009, 02:28:18 PM »

Indeed, I may have to use my x-mas money in order to make my awesome multiplayer mod.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
pmprog
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 04:03:03 AM »

You could always open the project in the free GameMaker, and port it to something like C using DirectX, OpengGL, Allegro or SDL as the graphics engine. Microsoft have released Visual C Express for free. Porting should be pretty straight forward.

I'm using this with Allegro to make a game, funnily enough, a platformer where you have to collect things, but mine's not really related to Spelunky
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 11:22:06 AM »

I don't think porting would be quite that easy with how game maker is built...

ManaUser
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 02:46:59 PM »

It's not the money, I $25 isn't a problem, but I'm not willing to pay any amount for a defective product, and I consider that kind of obnoxious DRM scheme a major defect.

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 02:56:50 PM »

It's not the money, I $25 isn't a problem, but I'm not willing to pay any amount for a defective product, and I consider that kind of obnoxious DRM scheme a major defect.
Yeah it's really bad about keeping buying, and the updated verson are a scam, but it's not as bad as say... rpg maker can be

pmprog
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »

I don't think porting would be quite that easy with how game maker is built...
True, it wouldn't be a case of simply re-writing the scripts and compiling them on the platform, but if you look at it this way - If you write a framework that mimics GameMaker objects into your new platform, you'd effectively allow anybody to port their gamemaker game out.

BTW - There's always http://www.ismavatar.com/lgm/download.php -- I've never used this, so I don't know if it'll compile Spelunky
ManaUser
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »

BTW - There's always http://www.ismavatar.com/lgm/download.php -- I've never used this, so I don't know if it'll compile Spelunky
It would have been awesome if it could, but sadly it wouldn't even open spelunky.gmk when I tried it. Embarrassed

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: