Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky Inspires and Enrages Me  (Read 2872 times)
sponsz
Seedling

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2009, 08:30:34 PM »

I may or may not have said this before but I would like to let Derek know just how much I love Spelunky.

A month or so after downloading it, I find myself playing it more than any of my other games, most of which cost $50 each.

The reason is obviously because of the roguelike gameplay.  If it were static maps I never even would have tried it.  But the fact that it's different every time is what interested me in it. 

I don't think I will ever beat the game starting from world one.  That's OK with me.

Why does it enrage me?  It's not just spikes and man eating plants.

It's the fact that professional dev houses, with their multi MILLION dollar budgets, aren't willing to do what Derek did with no budget to speak of. 

I look at Dawn of War II and the god damn canned maps and it makes me just sick to my stomach.  The truth is, large developers don't WANT replay value in their games.  That's why they don't even try.
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 08:36:53 PM »

Yea, most of the big commercial firms are all about profit, hence the low replay value. (The faster you're done with a game, the sooner you'll go and buy another)

Blizzard is probably one of the only big game-making companies that still care about the customers. (I'm talking about the upcoming Diablo III and Starcraft II of course, not WoW)
Oh, and Nintendo. Nintendo is always an ace in my book.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Darkness3313
Mosskid

That reminds me of a puzzle...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 08:39:04 PM »

Yea, most of the big commercial firms are all about profit, hence the low replay value. (The faster you're done with a game, the sooner you'll go and buy another)

Blizzard is probably one of the only big game-making companies that still care about the customers. (I'm talking about the upcoming Diablo III and Starcraft II of course, not WoW)
Oh, and Nintendo. Nintendo is always an ace in my book.

Nintendo games may be Static but they do have alot of Variety.

I also agree with what Sponsz said. Spelunky is one of my Favorite games.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 08:42:13 PM »

there are more then blizzard, they are small and need your help

altus is the home of the hardcore on ds. if you like spelunky and it's style or rpgs (which isn't spelunky at all but...)

altus has severed me well.
-----
that being said indy games are great to find such gems, but remember... most are not good. it is the rare gems that we find that make us so happy.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 08:45:56 PM »

But that doesn't mean there still aren't a lot.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 04:49:46 AM »

There are actually quite a lot. Semi-professionals creating Indie games are all over the place, some of the best games are quite definitely freeware or started out that way. It's nice that with the addition of downloadable content for consoles, a lot of attention is now being payed to Indie developers. These are the people who craft and create games, not because their are huge profit margins, or overhead costs to defer, but because they have an idea and feel it needs to be shared with others who love the things they love. Of course, if they make some money in the mean time then all the better right? Everyone go buy Aquaria!

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: