Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Version 0.6.0 of Potion mod.  (Read 59593 times)
gummybears123
Mossy

Yummy Gummy!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2010, 07:23:10 PM »

Bubble works on bullets!

And potions can spawn from chests in custom levels

I made a rap.
It sounds dumb, like reading a map
I really should stop this thing before it goes too far
But I don't really car as long as I stay below the radar
Those big companies won't get me no
I'll get away before the fuzz show

-Most famous rapper of Mossmouth
Kirbylord
Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2010, 07:39:04 PM »

It's permanent right now (0.5.1.1). If it was on a timer; people would stand still at much as passably, and I really don't see Spelunky as a stand still and do nothing game.
A lot depends on the timer, if it took longer than ghost takes to appear it might not encourage standing still so much but just having enough safe ways to remove it would be better than timer at least for an effect coming from potion if it was caused by something else it could be very brief. Maybe rescuing a damsel could cure it too?

Maybe put in a 3 lvl passed until effect removed, or a cancel system; if under a negative effect from a red potion a black potion would have no effect, but will cancel the effect of the red potion. Black cancel red, green cancel black and red cancel green.
Seems a bit weird for colour to matter for effect cancelling when effects are random. Effect based would be more logical.

The first version had enemies drinking on contact, but you really don't want to lose a potion because it touches a enemy, when dropped for any reason.    
You could make it require enough velocity. Or even better you could make it so that it just breaks when thrown and creates a cloud of potion that causes the effect for everyone in touch with it. Cloud probably should have different effect than drinking in some cases.

Also when was the last time you threw a beer on some one? Did he drink it on contact?  Wink
Does throwing one at unconscious person work better?
making it color based solves a lot of problems, if the curing effect not present in game to bad, all 3 colors are present always.

if you fund a green potions, don't know what it does, and find a red one... you can drink the green one, safe knowing the red will cure you ^^ potion drinking will be more safe for a clever spelunker.

If trowing on a unconscious fellow works better? haven't tried that in real life Tongue But if you trow hard enough on a conscious fellow, he becomes unconscious... and you trow very hard in spelunky  Grin

sorry'bout that. Any way to give a potion; you need to knock him out, go over to him and press attack while holding a potion, a little complex - but kind of logical.

on a side note; if you knock him out, put the potions on him - walks away and whip, he drinks it from his slumber (it's a bug  Angry)

a cloud from a broken potion? Thats a pretty nice idea, I might implement it, when I got all the potion effects done  Smiley.

Thanks        

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:47:38 PM by Delver » Logged
gummybears123
Mossy

Yummy Gummy!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »

Alien Boss Bubbles still hurt you when you have the protective bubble...

I made a rap.

Kirbylord
Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »

Alien Boss Bubbles still hurt you when you have the protective bubble...

Got it.

Make ready for potion mod 0.3.2  (my release finger is hungry)Wink
gummybears123
Mossy

Yummy Gummy!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2010, 07:59:40 PM »

0.5.2 you mean?

I made a rap.

Kirbylord
Enrymion
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2010, 08:22:06 PM »

making it color based solves a lot of problems, if the curing effect not present in game too bad, all 3 colors are present always.

if you find a green potions, don't know what it does, and find a red one... you can drink the green one, safe knowing the red will cure you ^^ potion drinking will be more safe for a clever spelunker.

That does sound quite nice! But if any positive effect would cancel any negative effect it could work as effect based(except when all potions are bad).

Another possibility would be that drinking from same kind of potion if already under the effect of it would cancel it. Not so interesting but then there'd be no case of wasting a good potion to cure bad one when it isn't worth it or any other possible problems.
Speaking of drinking same potions you could make bubbles stack with max of 3 or 2 at a time.

sorry'bout that. Any way to give a potion; you need to knock him out, go over to him and press attack while holding a potion, a little complex - but kind of logical.

Isn't attack supposed to throw it? What if you miss him or he wakes up before you use it I probably wouldn't want to throw it then. Purchase button might work a little better(I have no idea why it still doesn't have any use outside of shops)

member number 24.
Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2010, 11:02:04 PM »

Another possibility would be that drinking from same kind of potion if already under the effect of it would cancel it. Not so interesting but then there'd be no case of wasting a good potion to cure bad one when it isn't worth it or any other possible problems.
Speaking of drinking same potions you could make bubbles stack with max of 3 or 2 at a time.

Isn't attack supposed to throw it? What if you miss him or he wakes up before you use it I probably wouldn't want to throw it then. Purchase button might work a little better(I have no idea why it still doesn't have any use outside of shops)

I really like the case of a good potion going to waste in order to cure a bad one, it sets up a choice, and let the player make smart decision; like the player find a green potion and he happens to know that it is a confusion potion, he could then choice to take it in hope of finding a black potion which it cures, or finding an unknown potion choosing not to break it and not testing it (on a stunable enemy) because what ever the next potion is, he will be able to drink one potion without much fear (he will still lose 1 life to poison).

So when a player finds a potion he can choose:

drinking it! getting what ever the effect is. this is good because he gets the knowledge of the potions effect, he don't need to carry it, and there is good chance of a nice effect. It's bad because it might be a bad effect.

testing it! He only gets the knowledge of the potion, but he don't need to carry the potion for long, properly he knows of a caveman near by (very good because the surroundings effects his choices, makes for deferent choices), the bad he loses the effect, but it might be bad.

Use it as a cure! Good because he gets the effect, and only if the effect is bad does he lose another potion. here there is also some nice probability involved; if he takes a bad potion in hope of finding the potion color it cures, he only have 1/3 chance of that happening, if he takes a potion he don't know; he have 2/3 chance of using it as a cure... if he finds the same color potion he need to make a new choice: should he leave a maybe very good potion behind?

If you make bad potions only be cured by good potions, you leave the player in the dark, and many of the above chooses becomes less attractive.

stacking Bubbles removes choice, if he finds a potion knowing it as a bubble potion, should he carry it and wait for his current bubble to burst, or leave it keeping his current Item (what Item he has plays in to his choice (this is good)). If he can just drink it, there is no choice and the bubble potion don't need being better (IMO)

Purchase button I might use later to handle potions, but it sorts of the weird button people need to know to use it.

I think the bottom line is: I made my mind, and I really like the color bases dispelling  Roll Eyes

0.5.2 you mean?

yeah...  Huh?

Version 0.5.2 (envies his younger sibling  Cry)

slight fix to bubble potion
decreasing the negative effects of confusion

« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:30:25 PM by Delver » Logged
kirbmasta
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2010, 11:34:39 PM »

just tried to give a black potion to a damsel, got this as an error

for object oDizzyEnemy:

Error in code at line 1:
   y = oEnemy.y;
             ^
at position 12: Unknown variable y

Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2010, 11:38:20 PM »

just tried to give a black potion to a damsel, got this as an error

for object oDizzyEnemy:

Error in code at line 1:
   y = oEnemy.y;
             ^
at position 12: Unknown variable y

Got it... at least now we now - the damsel is not the enemy... (bad joke is bad)
Enrymion
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2010, 01:08:26 AM »

I think the bottom line is: I have made my mind, and I really like the color based dispelling  Roll Eyes

I'll still voice my opinion about it in a vain hope that you might change it  Grin
I guess that the main gripes that I have with color based dispelling are(at least I think they are I'm not really sure as I haven't spent enough long hours evaluating my opinion about it to say that this is my opinion no matter how I look at it and won't change it after more thinking.) that it's guaranteed to work without knowing anything about the random effect of the curing potion and regardless of what the bad effect is when color has no other effect + it doesn't really support having more than 3 colors very well.

I might like it more if different colors of potions would have different effects maybe with "main" effects for all of them with some variation based on color or anything that makes the color matter for other things than curing from a long lasting bad effect.

If you can't stack bubbles drinking another one should remove it or just do something.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 01:11:38 AM by Enrymion » Logged

member number 24.
Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2010, 08:14:19 AM »

I think the bottom line is: I have made my mind, and I really like the color based dispelling  Roll Eyes

I'll still voice my opinion about it in a vain hope that you might change it  Grin
I guess that the main gripes that I have with color based dispelling are(at least I think they are I'm not really sure as I haven't spent enough long hours evaluating my opinion about it to say that this is my opinion no matter how I look at it and won't change it after more thinking.) that it's guaranteed to work without knowing anything about the random effect of the curing potion and regardless of what the bad effect is when color has no other effect + it doesn't really support having more than 3 colors very well.

I might like it more if different colors of potions would have different effects maybe with "main" effects for all of them with some variation based on color or anything that makes the color matter for other things than curing from a long lasting bad effect.

If you can't stack bubbles drinking another one should remove it or just do something.

Would it make more sense, if the canceling order was random to, say opposite of the potion mixing. That way you need to mix at least one potion to know the canceling sequence. Or just get lucky  Smiley

There would then be to passable orders:
red>black>green>red
red>green>black>red
the mixing order would then be the opposite of the dispelling order.

Main effects by color, don't really know what they should be. But could turn out nice (the color is "already" effecting dispelling and mixing).

The reason for the 3 effect present in any one play thought, is that Spelunky is "only" 16 lvl long... the player don't have the time to familiarize himself with a whole host of potions... (I might make a Random-random potion in shops thought(can have any effect in the game))

I'm getting ahead of myself, so many thing to do before I can begin implementing this  Cry

ps. If anyone would like to see a roguelike with similar mechanics (almost) look into Toejam and Earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ToeJam_&_Earl it's pretty old.            

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 08:16:42 AM by Delver » Logged
Enrymion
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2010, 02:47:51 PM »

By main effects I meant that all potions should have same kinds of possible effects  like damage, status effect, health and good effect. And then small details depending on colour like green potion's status effect might be confusion and black ones blindness and red ones lust but of course it'd work other way around a bit more naturally if less balanced with black causing mostly status effects good or bad but not doing any healing and so on.

I'm actually starting to like the idea of color based effect cancelling. At least I want to try it before I decide that I don't like it Grin

You could make the amount of potions area based with first area having three and all areas after that adding one new potion.

Also I could have sworn I posted this already but I don't see it Huh? There are at least 3 ways to die with bubble on: from teleporting badly, health reducing potion and man-eating plant. And the new confuse is much nicer but it shouldn't "reset" if drunk again... Bubble still doesn't protect cavemen I give it to Cry

member number 24.
kirbmasta
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2010, 03:15:58 PM »

now that we have 4 possible outcomes, i think we need a 4th potion color...i dont like when i suddenly dont have any health potions in the run

gummybears123
Mossy

Yummy Gummy!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2010, 03:20:43 PM »

Suggestion potions

Potion that makes you slow
Potion that makes you faster
Potion that stuns you for a while
Potion that improves your eyesight (Works like spectacles for 1 level)
Potion that makes your legs stronger (Works like spring boots for 1 level)
Potion that makes your arms stonger (Works like pitcher's mitt for 1 level)

And the colors are red, black, and green...

So blue, orange, purple, yellow, white are alll good...

I made a rap.

Kirbylord
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2010, 04:29:55 PM »

And dark, light, and clear variations of all of those colors.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: