Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Version 0.6.0 of Potion mod.  (Read 73884 times)
Artman40
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2010, 01:28:37 PM »

I wonder should the effects of the "mess up your controls" potion be temporary or permanent until stunned?
marsgreekgod
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2010, 01:50:06 PM »

I thought it was until end of level.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
gummybears123
Mossy

Yummy Gummy!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »

Can someone list all the potions and effects?

I made a rap.
It sounds dumb, like reading a map
I really should stop this thing before it goes too far
But I don't really car as long as I stay below the radar
Those big companies won't get me no
I'll get away before the fuzz show

-Most famous rapper of Mossmouth
Kirbylord
Enrymion
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2010, 02:05:54 PM »

How about a Potion of Lust that makes every (1 tile)enemy (and item?) look like stationary damsel until you rescue a real one? It could be combined with potion of love maybe without guaranteed damsel spawn at next level. That way it'd have both positive and negative effects.
What does potion of love do when given to the one damsel?

Using potions on others isn't very intuitive I think it should either always work on whatever it's thrown at regardless of target's state consciousness or by "buying" a potion while carrying someone.
Also bubble should work on others maybe confuse should too at least visually.

Making water cure confusion could be nice.
There should be some sound effect for drinking potions.

Full bottles don't break but empty ones do? I might want to refill that empty bottle!

Can someone list all the potions and effects?
red, green, black
confuse, bubble, -5 health, +1 health
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 02:08:57 PM by Enrymion » Logged

member number 24.
Artman40
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2010, 02:11:20 PM »

I think -5 health to +1 health isn't really a good tradeoff. Maybe, if getting that bad potion, you can avoid the worst of it, but you'd have to be quick somehow.
marsgreekgod
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2010, 02:18:25 PM »

or -3. so you know a starting health of 4 can live, but be almost dead

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Enrymion
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2010, 03:34:02 PM »

animation for being confused is awfully large and kind of weird. IMHO it should stay above spelunkers head and be around the same size as stunned animation.

member number 24.
Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2010, 05:58:59 PM »

First of really appreciate the feedback  Grin
I wonder should the effects of the "mess up your controls" potion be temporary or permanent until stunned?

It's permanent right now (0.5.1.1). If it was on a timer; people would stand still at much as passably, and I really don't see Spelunky as a stand still and do nothing game.

I think I'm going to lessen the effect, right now there is no choice; when confused go to a high place and jump! If the effect was less shuffle and more reversing, like left to right or jump to whip. You could decide to keep it, until stunned (that way not losing a life to nothing) or "cancel stun" it in fear of falling in to spikes or just losing life to non stunning enemies.

I think -5 health to +1 health isn't really a good tradeoff. Maybe, if getting that bad potion, you can avoid the worst of it, but you'd have to be quick somehow.

It's not really -5 life to +1 life, but to negate the dmg. from any attack (even instant death). But -5 life really isn't that great, I'm going to change it to 4 life over 2 minutes (even over lvl ends), so if on full life (4) you have 2 minutes to get 1 life without losing any.

Maybe put in a 3 lvl passed until effect removed, or a cancel system; if under a negative effect from a red potion a black potion would have no effect, but will cancel the effect of the red potion. Black cancel red, green cancel black and red cancel green.

Using potions on others isn't very intuitive I think it should either always work on whatever it's thrown at regardless of target's state consciousness or by "buying" a potion while carrying someone.
Also bubble should work on others maybe confuse should too at least visually.

Making water cure confusion could be nice.
There should be some sound effect for drinking potions.

Full bottles don't break but empty ones do? I might want to refill that empty bottle!

The first version had enemies drinking on contact, but you really don't what to lose a potion because it touches a enemy, when dropped for any reason. Also when was the last time you trowed a beer on some one? Did he drink it on contact?  Wink

water dispelling confusion it pretty nice  Smiley

really likes the idea of bottles being refill, maybe you could mix potions to make another; if mixing green and black you get red?     

Sudonimus
Mossy

Stop staring.

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2010, 06:38:06 PM »

I played the game...
I can't seem to find the potions
something wrong?

How is there no such thing as non-existence?!
Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »

I played the game...
I can't seem to find the potions
something wrong?

Teddy... hmm I mean gummybears123 said he had the same problem, and haven't heard if he was just unlucky. it's very unlikely it doesn't work (actually almost Miracle unlikely). try going to the editor and make some chest... you might as well make some potions too (under tap one)... there is about a 25% chance of no potion from chests.

ps. anyone played P4?  Wink  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 06:47:16 PM by Delver » Logged
gummybears123
Mossy

Yummy Gummy!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2010, 06:54:50 PM »

They come up now....

And what does the bubble potion do?

I made a rap.

Kirbylord
Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2010, 07:03:11 PM »

The Bubble potion Spoiler  Wink

It cancels one hit, if you get touched by a spider no damage (but the bubble will burst) the same if falling, even spikes. You can survive the bomb even  Smiley  [/color]
gummybears123
Mossy

Yummy Gummy!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2010, 07:05:39 PM »

How about shotguns?  Or arrowtraps?

I made a rap.

Kirbylord
Delver
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2010, 07:13:42 PM »

Hmm... it should do shotgun (if not implementing now Tongue) and yes

edit:
do shotgun, actually pretty nicely  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:19:31 PM by Delver » Logged
Enrymion
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2010, 07:15:18 PM »

It's permanent right now (0.5.1.1). If it was on a timer; people would stand still at much as passably, and I really don't see Spelunky as a stand still and do nothing game.
A lot depends on the timer, if it took longer than ghost takes to appear it might not encourage standing still so much but just having enough safe ways to remove it would be better than timer at least for an effect coming from potion if it was caused by something else it could be very brief. Maybe rescuing a damsel could cure it too?

Maybe put in a 3 lvl passed until effect removed, or a cancel system; if under a negative effect from a red potion a black potion would have no effect, but will cancel the effect of the red potion. Black cancel red, green cancel black and red cancel green.
Seems a bit weird for colour to matter for effect cancelling when effects are random. Effect based would be more logical.

The first version had enemies drinking on contact, but you really don't want to lose a potion because it touches a enemy, when dropped for any reason.    
You could make it require enough velocity. Or even better you could make it so that it just breaks when thrown and creates a cloud of potion that causes the effect for everyone in touch with it. Cloud probably should have different effect than drinking in some cases.

Also when was the last time you threw a beer on some one? Did he drink it on contact?  Wink
Does throwing one at unconscious person work better?

member number 24.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: