Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: The unlockable character is broken  (Read 10460 times)
Vanguard
Shoot

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:33:56 AM »

There's practically no reason to play as the spelunker after you unlock him.  He should start with no bombs and 3 hearts or something like that.
kayin
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:25:09 PM »

This isn't quite true. The Spelunky man has way better attack and because of that I think is more well rounded and better for general ascension.

Tunnel man rules the high score though. I don't see this as a problem though. Maybe it'd be better if records as the tunnel man didn't count? He certainly makes for a good, 'fun' character and not a serious one.
Vanguard
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 02:57:13 PM »

The whip is only barely more effective as a weapon, and both the whip and the pick are easily and quickly outclassed and replaced by any number of easily obtained items, but the pick's incredibly beneficial functionality never goes away, whereas the whip never had any special functions to begin with.

Once you find a rock, there's no advantage to the spelunker over the tunnel man until you lose it.  Once you find a gun, there's no advantage to the spelunker or the tunnel man for the rest of the game, period.  In any case, the tunnel man can easily make up for having a lesser hand to hand weapon because of his tremendous ability to bypass nearly any fight altogether - including the final boss!

Besides, since the tunnel man doesn't need bombs for digging, his player is free to use them as much as he likes for combat instead, meaning that he's even arguably the better fighter of the two.
fall_ark
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 06:10:24 PM »

That does explain why he's always ahead waiting for you in the original game....

Pick can only be used when standing on the ground though. This could be annoying especially when you are climbing a ladder or something. Of course, if you fix your mind on finishing the level then indeed the tunnel man is far superior....after all, he's a bonus character.
kayin
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 09:11:36 PM »

Disagree. The whip is very useful and hits at better angles (better backswing), has longer active frames, more range and can be used in the air.

As far as my playing goes, the whip never stops being useful and the only non-shotgun weapons that are worth anything tend to be one shot stuff you find on the ground.

But yes the Tunnel Man is really good.
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 10:15:26 PM »

Yea, I really think that Tunnel Man runs shouldn't count. Especially since you can take you're time mining out the WHOLE CoG!

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
CaKsTeR
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 10:55:55 PM »

Because I am completely hopeless, how exactly do you unlock the Tunnel Man. I see the door behind him, but past that I'm lost. If it's an easy secret, don't bother telling me.  Cheesy
Vanguard
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 11:02:06 PM »

To unlock the Tunnel Man you have to:

get gold trophies by all four of the doors in the scores room.
CaKsTeR
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 08:11:07 PM »

Oh, thanks. That basically means, not in my lifetime, but I can try I guess XD
Vanguard
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 11:50:23 PM »

I don't think it's that bad if you intentionally go through them one at a time, and even if you don't make it, trying is fun.

A city of gold run isn't a necessity for it, but it will give you the first one.

For the second, be aggressive.  Not suicidally aggressive, don't get into fights you can't win (that's good advice for the game in general), but kill things even if they aren't in your way, get a shotgun as early as possible and go nuts with it.  Alternately, exploit the fact that the end boss can produce (as far as I can tell) infinite enemies for you to kill off.

For the third, just actively search for damsels a bit more thoroughly than usual, and be willing to sacrifice other things you wouldn't normally give up for them.

Lastly, just rush as fast as you can, don't go for anything you can't obtain in a timely manner.  You can go a lot faster than you think you can.  For example, when I was going for it, I allowed myself about one minute to get through the four stages of the initial caves.

You'll die a lot more than you do in normal play, but your wins/time actually shouldn't be much worse, since you're making more attempts in a smaller time frame, and we actually die a lot while involving ourselves with things that we don't actually need to do to get through the game (like unnecessary shopkeeper fights), and these things are part of what you'll be cutting out in a speed run.  It's fun, and it can teach you to be a better player.
CaKsTeR
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 05:08:21 PM »

Thanks for the in depth tips! Now, I'm going to go try some of them XD
eguee
Mosskid

HYAAAAH!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 08:19:38 PM »

One more thing: The mattock damages yetis. Woot!
DirkRhyolite
Bean

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 03:19:57 PM »

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

This is the proudest moment of my gaming existence.

Special thanks to the Vanguard for his "infinite enemies" advice. Made that challenge a piece of frog and spider cake.

I spent the last week trying to get the time challenge. I think I died 1000 times. It was worth it.

GreyMario
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »

eww jpeg.
AresRomanGod
Mossy

I am DEFINITELY not a mod. Flame when you see me.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 05:33:08 PM »

Gah. I still can't get those rooms open.

Be afraid.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: