Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Easy-Mod" Mod  (Read 6230 times)
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:57:01 PM »

Wouldn't it be great if we can make this game moddable even to people without GM Pro?

Here's my idea:
External Resources.

If we can make most of the game external, that is, all the data (sprites, scripts, etc.) is stored in the Spelunky folder as opposed to the Spelunky exe, then this game could be much more modder-friendly.

It'd also make it possible to mix and match mods.
For instance: You really like the half-life 2 mod, but also really like Bood's companion cube, but they're in two separate mods!

If all files could be external, then all you have to do is copy the companion cube object over to the half-life 2 mod and boom! You're done!

Now to be honest, I don't know to what extent this will be possible.
I know for sure that music can be external (that's what Derek did), and I'm pretty sure that sprites can be external too, But I'm not so sure about scripts, and doubtful of objects.

If someone could do some research that, then we could get this project started!

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 09:43:37 PM »

You know you could do the easyly by getting rid of all the files and sprites in one copy save for what you want, then combining the two files (basically importing it.) no reason to make a mod.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 09:44:54 PM »

But you'd have to go through all the trouble of, well, doing just that.
It'd be much more user-friendly, not to mention much much more accessible, if we can get this to work.

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 09:53:04 PM »

But you could do the grunt work and make it easy for the end user. It would be easy on there part hard on our part.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »

That's sort of the point.

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 09:59:15 PM »

So my plan would work just fine.

Kirby
Mossy

Too Long Away

nrmario@hotmail.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 10:12:36 PM »

I would thank you so much for this, all I want to do is make a mod replacing sprites, and I don't want to shell out $25 for that. I'm not much of a scripter anyhow.

I'm learning Japanese!
Add me on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/id/KirbyLord/
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 10:43:12 PM »

How about this, you download game maker lite, change all the sprites, and send it to me when I get pro, (Or some one that has it already) and make it into an exe. as long as you keep sprite sizes the same it well work out. you don't need any coding.

You can edit the code with out pro, you just can't use the edits, so you can have someone make it for you basicly

Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 06:31:26 AM »

That's a good idea, maybe we should have a requests thread for the generous individuals who are willing to do such things for everyone, or just ideas for mods to be made.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2009, 12:43:51 PM »

Heck with my idea I can already mod in new kinds of arrow traps.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: