Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Something strange is afoot...  (Read 215 times)
hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2018, 03:02:58 PM »

There's some weird happenings going on here. Users with posts, but without posts! Large numbers of guests. Blue people hanging out all day. New blue people, as well.

And I say: What's going on?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 03:05:57 PM by hyperme » Logged
hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 11:50:52 AM »

Three mysterious blue people at once!

Is the forum haunted?
Nidkrig
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 04:00:12 PM »

I noticed the same thing regarding post counts on unknown users. The weird thing is that they can't just be deleted posts; I just made one myself on this thread to test that out. My post count went back down after I deleted it. So the posts can't have simply been removed by the users themselves.

I took a look at the members list and found the creators of a few indie games. They have custom ranks and post counts but no posts. This led me to believe that some of Derek Yu's game industry friends were using the forums to talk to each other, so perhaps direct messages contribute to post counts.

Then, I remembered something. What was the owner of the domain doing with other indie developers in the same timespan as the accounts' registrations? Developing UFO50. A quick look at the game's website revealed a few names that sounded familiar. Jon Perry? Paul Hubans? Et cetera? All contributors to UFO50.
This all tied back to my theory that this group of developers used the forums to talk to each other. But the question remained: why use this place, with its ancient forum engine, when Discord was so much more convenient? The forum ghosts probably got to them. I don't know.

As for the large number of guests, we've always had those. I think it's half search engines indexing the site, half defunct spambots from around 2015. Those were fun. At least they gave the place some activity.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: