Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you want in Spelunky 2?  (Read 4221 times)
kelmitz2510
Seedling

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2017, 11:07:44 AM »

New characters and personalize your own character
Skoke
Mossy

Ballin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 12:34:31 AM »

A forum that's active again, this used to be so much fun ;-;
Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 02:05:10 PM »

Don't we all, skoke, don't we all.

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Sparkle
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 11:28:03 AM »

Someone mentioned somewhat recently that they thought they heard about Spelunky 2, but I didn't really believe them and forgot about it. Then I decided to come on here today and found this so I was reminded.  I proceeded to google it and found the trailer and wow, it looks pretty exciting! ;O;

I am super excited. I don't have my own PS4, but this is literally amazing and I'd consider getting one soon (I'm about to graduate college so I'll maybe actually have time for games again).

Also yeah, it'd be pretty nice if the forums were active again.  I like to check in sometimes because I miss you guys, but I rarely feel inclined to post or interact with anyone because it's been quiet and also I suck a bit. Please forgive me, guys ;A;
Nidkrig
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 05:51:33 PM »

I'm hoping for a wider range of top-tier items like the Jetpack, Shotgun, and Teleporter. One of the two flaws in Spelunky's game design I can think of is the quick obsolescence and relative uselessness of many items, such as the Web Gun, Machete, and Spring Shoes. More exotic items with late-game relevance would be great.

New ways to traverse would be welcome additions as well, especially if the player ascends instead of descending. I like the idea of wall jumping and swinging from ropes.

I am super excited. I don't have my own PS4, but this is literally amazing and I'd consider getting one soon (I'm about to graduate college so I'll maybe actually have time for games again).
On Derek Yu's tweet on the announcement, he mentioned that it would be on PC as well. Though, you may already know that and intend on getting a PS4 anyway. That is a good idea regardless; it has great exclusives. I recommend The Last of Us Remastered.

A forum that's active again, this used to be so much fun ;-;
Agreed. We had a small but quite active community until around 2013. Felt like everyone was friends. I'm almost positive Spelunky 2 will bring about something of a revival...
slonko
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 03:18:17 AM »

My favorite part of Spelunky is the exploration and discovery when you first play the game. Terraria is another game that mirrored those feelings, because of the wide scope of items and environments. I want spelunky 2 to share some of the basic tenants of spelunky HD (permadeath and procedurally generated levels), but apart from that I'm happy to see the game go anywhere.

I anticipate there will be more online friendly options for PC (replays, real leader-boards, proper co-op) and I think there's a possibility for a character progression / endless dungeon mode. It would be interesting to see a spelunky where you could level up character stats and equipment, but this idea is probably too far removed from the original game's core philosophies.

Quote from: Nidkrig
Agreed. We had a small but quite active community until around 2013. Felt like everyone was friends. I'm almost positive Spelunky 2 will bring about something of a revival...

I'm not sure if this is worth anything to you, but there's still an active community on reddit at /r/spelunky, and there's a an active discord channel too. Most members there still play daily and we upload runs to mossranking. I expect you might already be a memeber, but if you're not you should definitely check it out Smiley
Nidkrig
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 01:20:26 AM »

I'm not sure if this is worth anything to you, but there's still an active community on reddit at /r/spelunky, and there's a an active discord channel too. Most members there still play daily and we upload runs to mossranking. I expect you might already be a memeber, but if you're not you should definitely check it out Smiley
Oh! It somehow didn't occur to me that there is a Spelunky discord. I''ll probably join it sometime; thanks.
Regarding Reddit, I don't think it has the feeling of community that this place did, being a single subforum and all. I do lurk there for the content, though. There are some fun highlights.

To stay on topic, I'll say a few more things I'm hoping for in the sequel.

1 ) Returning characters. Even if they're all really old or something, it would be utterly heartbreaking to not see Little Suzie make a return.

2 ) Spelunkers with different abilities. In Spelunky Classic, you could play as the Tunnel Man, who had an indestructible mattock instead of a whip. On a similar note, it would be nice to have the Damsel as an unlockable character again.

3 ) Challenge rooms. They were a neato feature in Classic. 'Nuff said.

4 ) Online multiplayer. On LAN netplay between PS4 and PS Vita, the players had independent screens, which worked perfectly. Additionally, having independent screens could make large deathmatch maps a possibility.

5 ) Larger levels? It's a matter of personal preference, but I think levels should be 1.5-2x larger to support more exploration. Multiple paths through a given level would be a good add-on to this.

6 ) Remove the ghosting mechanic. It does add an additional risk to high score runs, but the tediousness far outweighs it. I rarely attempt the Daily Challenge because I know I don't stand a chance against the players who wait an extra minute after digging out all the gems in the level, then lure the lumbering ghost through the gems scattered all over. That's the second of the two flaws in the game design I mentioned in my first post.

7 ) A level editor.

8 ) Mod support in some form. Whether it's an engine open to gameplay modifications ( la Spelunky Classic) or some huge official resource like Skyrim's Creation Kit, it is without a doubt that mods increase a games longevity. People were playing Spelunky Classic even after HD came out because of fresh-dope mods such as Tastes Like Spelunky.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:37:01 PM by Nidkrig » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: