Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky in game maker studio(?)  (Read 2397 times)
Calcius
Shoot

-cough-

View Profile
« on: March 29, 2015, 11:16:58 AM »

There have been a few threads about this, but in the 4 seconds I spent looking around I didn't find any concrete answers. Anyone know of, or mind directing me to, a port of spelunky to game maker studio, or is it just a pipe dream?
(If it doesn't exist, I'll have to attempt to port it </3)
bloxxin
Mossbaby

Long time no see...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, 03:37:46 PM »

There have been a few threads about this, but in the 4 seconds I spent looking around I didn't find any concrete answers. Anyone know of, or mind directing me to, a port of spelunky to game maker studio, or is it just a pipe dream?
Hate to break it to you, but it's a pipe dream.

Calcius
Shoot

-cough-

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 03:46:08 PM »

Any specific reason why it is a terrible idea? Like, it can be done, right? Just hasn't been done yet due to the vast amount of tedium?
bloxxin
Mossbaby

Long time no see...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 08:25:27 PM »

Any specific reason why it is a terrible idea? Like, it can be done, right? Just hasn't been done yet due to the vast amount of tedium?
I meant that there isn't any free open-source GM:S version of Spelunky roaming on the internet. People have done it, they're just being stingy with the source. It is possible, it's just a lot of effort converting obsolete code and fixing other coding anomalies.

YellowAfterlife
Shoot

One

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 07:38:24 AM »

There's a lot of different small incompatibilities between GM<=8.1 and GMS, mostly caused by the fact that pre-GMS versions didn't need to have the games run on any non-Windows platforms, with some of practices used (screen_redraw/screen_refresh/sleep/..) just not really being a thing on a fair of GMS' target platforms.
Also GM<=8.1 was quite careless about what would normally have been a decent cause of an error - for example, you could attempt to change a variable of a non-existent instance and this would raise no errors whatsoever.
Last year I've made a basic "at least this compiles" update for someone, but I don't know how well it works nowadays (as there have been additional breaking changes since then).
For the health of modding in general it would be kind of cool to do a major rewrite of the game (for optimizations, bug fixes, and readability) but that is weeks and weeks of work and I don't think that anyone would consciously leap onto such adventure.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: