Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky SD (fixes, tweaks, online multiplayer)  (Read 6217 times)
YellowAfterlife
Shoot

One

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2014, 04:54:19 PM »

Spelunky SD is an expansion and modification Spelunky Classic.
It includes a number of fixes and tweaks to the game, and, most notably, adds a cooperative online 2-player game mode.

Links: Announcement/details | Download | GameJolt page | Twitter | Support me

Some screenshots are available at GameJolt page.

If there are questions, feel free to ask Smiley

Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 06:06:01 PM »

Great work, Vadim!

Any Mossmouth regulars looking for someone to play with, PM me.

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »

Great work, Vadim!

Any Mossmouth regulars looking for someone to play with, PM me.
Ditto! (On both points.)

So, Moloch and I played a few games on this and first of all, it was quite enjoyable. Lag got a tiny bit painful at times, but mostly it was better than I'd have expected.

We did encounter a few bugs or maybe-bugs though:

• When you die in a challenge it doesn't tell you you need to press C to exit. I later figured it out, but we thought we were stuck.
  • The DIE command on the pause screen doesn't work. I don't know if remapping bomb to A (as in classic) effected that. Anyway /die works, so no biggie.
  • On a related note, when we had the ankh, player 2 bombed himself while standing next to the Moai head. He appeared inside but, apparently remained dead. Could have been he was still in the blast area, though I don't recall this happening before.
  • At one point, a bow apparently got duplicated. Probably when I (player 1) died holding it, but I did quite see it happen.

I have a feeling I'm forgetting something, but it wasn't anything serious...

[edit] Oh yeah, /style tunnelman is the correct command, the readme says /style tunnel.

All things considered, this was a spectacular success. Especially since even Spelunky HD doesn't have online MP
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:07:08 PM by Urza » Logged
Shrek
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 04:00:30 PM »

On a related note, when we had the ankh, player 2 bombed himself while standing next to the Moai head. He appeared inside but, apparently remained dead.
I believe this bug is present in vanilla as well. It's safer to use the suicide command than bombs.
YellowAfterlife
Shoot

One

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »

So, Moloch and I played a few games on this and first of all, it was quite enjoyable. Lag got a tiny bit painful at times, but mostly it was better than I'd have expected.
Thanks!

When you die in a challenge it doesn't tell you you need to press C to exit. I later figured it out, but we thought we were stuck.
Fixed. Not sure why that wasn't done in game from start.

The DIE command on the pause screen doesn't work. I don't know if remapping bomb to A (as in classic) effected that. Anyway /die works, so no biggie.
Fixed. Actually was about the fact that I was attempting to poll game for counting alive players while it was paused (and everything is deactivated).

On a related note, when we had the ankh, player 2 bombed himself while standing next to the Moai head. He appeared inside but, apparently remained dead. Could have been he was still in the blast area, though I don't recall this happening before.
I believe this bug is present in vanilla as well. It's safer to use the suicide command than bombs.
Indeed, this is a bug left from original game. Explosions go through walls, and if you sticked a bomb to the side of Moai, then, well... you respawn and die inside.
I hoped that no one will try doing that and I will not have to add an explicit condition just for this, but oh well, now done. Might even have it's uses if I get to adding a modding API into this.

At one point, a bow apparently got duplicated. Probably when I (player 1) died holding it, but I did quite see it happen.
I failed to replicate this so far. Some more details would be more than welcome.

I'll upload new build to GameJolt in few days (once tested thoroughly, since I've also changed few things around); will probably upload an intermediate build to Patreon today or tomorrow.

Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 08:19:51 PM »

At one point, a bow apparently got duplicated. Probably when I (player 1) died holding it, but I did quite see it happen.
I failed to replicate this so far. Some more details would be more than welcome.

I looked over our gameplay that I recorded, and the second bow clearly came from a nearby crate, but due to distractions and perhaps because I had read about a previous duplication bug in the changelog, I thought wrong. Tongue

A minor issue that isn't in my imagination is that Items spawned with '/replace' will be 'forSale' if a shopkeeper exists in the level.

YellowAfterlife
Shoot

One

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »

A new version has been released.
Changes include configurable controls, player colors, PvP mode, sequence capturing, and more.

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 05:42:43 PM »

It's cool you're still working on this, it looks great. I'll have to try it again.
YellowAfterlife
Shoot

One

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 08:01:24 AM »

It's cool you're still working on this, it looks great. I'll have to try it again.
Thanks!
The next large update is going to have 4-player support.

These sure are some interesting times.

No particular ETA yet though, as UDP is weird. But so is P2P[-ish] TCP with more than two players. And handling network events from multiple sources at once. Everything is.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: