Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Different exits go to different places  (Read 14389 times)
GnusieShaboozie
« on: November 24, 2013, 10:36:12 PM »

I'm working on a level in Spelunky, where I have two different exits, and I want each one to take you to a different place. How do I do that? I've seen it done in other levels, but I can't figure it out for myself. Can someone link me to a tutorial or a piece of text that may help me? Thanks!
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 05:13:56 AM »

All you have to do is edit the doors. It works just like placing a sign. Press E and type the file name of the level you want the door to lead to.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
q0099
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »

Pretty much like halibabica wrote, but let me explain it a little.

Let's make a simple level with one start point and two exit points. Name this level "multiexit". Now, move mouse cursor over the first exit point and press "E" button, then type name of the level you would like to be connected with this exit point. For now, let's type "multiexit1" there. Then move cursor over second exit point, press "E" and type "multiexit2". But right now we don't have any of these levels, so both exits would lead us to the finish. Make simple "multiexit1" and "multiexit2" levels with one start point in each one, start "multiexit" level and try to travel between levels by yourself.

But there is more!

You could also edit start points. Let's try it. First, let's edit our "multiexit" level and add an unreachable part with second start point and some loot over there. Then move mouse cursor over start point at unreachable section and press "E", the same way you did with exit points, and type "multiexit2" there. Now if player would get to "multiexit" level from "multiexit2" level, he will start there instead of the original start point. So, we need to add an exit from "multiexit2" level. Actually, let's make it a little bit more interesting and add several exits, which all but one would lead player to "multiexit1". Notice, what you don't have to edit every single exit point manually. Press "Edit info" icon and keep press "Enter" until you have to name next level. Type "multiexit1". Now, any unsigned exit on current level will lead to "multiexit1". Finally, edit one of exits to lead to "multiexit" level.

Here is an examples you could try.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 08:41:06 PM by q0099 » Logged

Take the time to make some sense of what you want to say and cast your words away upon the waves.
GnusieShaboozie
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 02:49:13 PM »

Thanks guys, I'll try it later! I've taught myself how to do everything as far as level editing so far, so I didn't know about the E thing. Thanks!
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »

There's a fairly comprehensive help file for the level editor included with Tastes Like Spelunky, though some of things inside it only pertain to that mod. Still, it might help you take out some of the guess work.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
frank22
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »

All you have to do is edit the doors. It works just like placing a sign. Press E and type the file name of the level you want the door to lead to. That will do it.

Thanks for the advice, tried it and it worked.  
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:31:29 PM by frank22 » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: