Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Operation "Beatthelastboss"  (Read 14933 times)
beatthelastboss
Mossbaby

The Grue is watching you...

View Profile Email
« on: November 24, 2009, 05:44:25 PM »

Ok, it is now common knowledge that I, Boss, am the WORST SPELUNKY PLAYER EVER!!! I need help, and for some reason I keep coming back to try and beat this EVIL game. Anyone have tips? This thread can be dedicated to the mission for me to unlock tunnel man and beat the game from start to finish! Wish me luck!

Inventor of the Spelunky sound-scheme!

http://mossmouth.com/forums/index.php?topic=194.0

Almost-real-time spelunking stats, updated every time I play!

Wins: Nada
Losted: TOO MANY TIMES!!!
Times Reset: 0
Shortcuts: Only the first one...
Rooms unlocked: None

Current mission: Get next s
marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 05:50:22 PM »

Um.. don't die?

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
eguee
Mosskid

HYAAAAH!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 07:49:04 PM »

Map your run key to something ridiculous like home.
Also, learn to use your bombs well.
Don't steal if you don't know how to.
Look before you leap.
Don't be stupid.
Pay attention.
beatthelastboss
Mossbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 09:12:48 PM »

Map your run key to something ridiculous like home.
Also, learn to use your bombs well.
Don't steal if you don't know how to.
Look before you leap.
Don't be stupid.
Pay attention.

That...  was much more helpful than you think... I will try my best, thanks!  Grin

Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:45:24 PM »

General tips:
Do NOT go for everything you see (ESPECIALLY on a time run).
CAREFULLY and THOROUGHLY consider the risk vs reward.
Crates are pretty much always worth one bomb OR rope.
Stealing is rarely worth it.
If you're not going for the save trophy, sacrificing is better in the long run, provided you stay alive long enough to benefit from it. (Some may not agree with me on this one)

Save tips:
Don't ever wander from the path unless you know there's a damsel out there. It's just not worth the risk
If you have a damsel with you, just don't wander off the path. Period.
Get lucky.

Kill tips:
If you can get a hold of a pistol or shotgun, good.
If you can nab the scepter, great.
Farming the final boss for monsters is a pretty decent idea too.

Gold tips:
Ghost runs. (I won't go into detail here since there are plenty of guides for it elsewhere)
Alternatively, City of Gold runs. Sacrifice until you get 99 bombs and go crazy. (You can start with a ghost run, but once you get to the headjet, you'll have to make a choice. You can't get to the CoG without it, but the ghost won't spawn with it)
The upper area of the boss level actually has a lot of loot.
Remember! You get a bonus $50,000 for beating the game too!

Time tips:
Remember! This is the only trophy that REQUIRES you to beat the game, so be extra careful!
As counter-intuitive as it sounds, running typically isn't worth it. You often move too fast to notice many of the dangers in your way.
Don't EVER get distracted.
An early compass can really help, especially in the ice levels.
Learn to read the level layout like Kefit.
Sometimes, bombing or digging straight down is faster than going around.

Happy Spelunking!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 09:47:55 PM by Kegluneq » Logged

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
beatthelastboss
Mossbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 10:29:54 PM »

Thank you so much! I hope I can make it!

Kefit
Bulb

Kefit42
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 11:39:04 PM »

!) Move slowly. Almost every trap and enemy in this game will be no threat if you are standing still and they haven't been activated yet. When you see an enemy or a trap, stop. Think about your options for getting past. Can you lure the enemy over to you and then kill it? Can you safely trigger the trap before continuing? Have you looked down to make sure you have a safe place to land? Time will never be an issue during a non speedrun - the 2:30 you have before the ghost comes is absolutely gigantic if you aren't trying to grab everything. Which brings me to:

2) Head straight for the exit. Ignore damsels and crates that aren't completely safe to get. The amount of each level you actually have to traverse is usually very small. And the less ground you cover, the less chance you have of being hurt.

3) Pay Tunnel Man until he makes his tunnels. Each of the four main area of the game needs to be approached in fundamentally different ways in order to survive. You need to be able to practice these areas over and over again if you want to have any chance of doing a full game run without game breaking items. The best way to get the tunnels made is to do single area gold runs. For example, when you want to open the tunnel to the ice caves, start in the jungle, collect all the gold you see, and then pay the tunnel man when you get to the caves. You can't get to the caves from a jungle start, you say? Well then, practice the jungle until you can!

4) Most of the enemies are predictable and can be manipulated. Frogs and zombies will not jump at you until you come within a certain distance. If you learn what this distance is, then you can move just close enough to trigger them, then run away from their maximum jump range, then kill them as they rest from their jump. Most of the enemies in the game can be securely dispatched with some kind of tactic, so experiment until you find something that works.

5) Learn how to steal. The jetpack single-handedly breaks this game, and you should never have to pass one up because you cannot afford it. Cape + spring shoes + climbing glove also breaks the game wide open. There are many effective ways of stealing. I suggest practicing in the first area (where shops spawn constantly) until you get it down. At the same time, be sure not to kill a shopkeeper. Just grab that jetpack, have a way of stunning the shopkeep (I prefer jumping on his head) and then run far away.

6) Get jetpack and shotgun. Then SLOW THE HELL DOWN. You will feel invincible with the jetpack and shotgun, but you aren't. You need to be just as careful as you are when Spelunky is naked, it's just that you now have far more powerful options at your disposal.

7) SLOW THE HELL DOWN.

8) See 1 and 7.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 11:40:39 PM by Kefit » Logged
beatthelastboss
Mossbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 08:59:17 AM »

(I prefer jumping on his head)

I wish I knew that! All of that was useful, but this one will be most of all! Thanks!

Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 02:06:19 PM »

Remember pots and skulls are still an excellent way to temporarily knock a shopkeep out.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Kefit
Bulb

Kefit42
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 02:40:47 PM »

Also, if you want to steal everything in a shop without killing the shopkeeper, then follow these steps:

1) Stun shopkeep
2) Grab shotgun
3) Put the shotgun someplace up high, where the shopkeep can't reach. Ropes might be helpful for this.
4) Go and steal everything while laughing at how harmless the shopkeep is without his shotgun.

Of course, after this you will need to learn how to get past one exit guarding shopkeep. But usually this isn't hard in the caves, which is where most of your stealing should take place.
Eternal Toaster
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 03:37:09 PM »

1) Try to teach yourself to use the bomb and rope shortcut keys instead of the cycle item button.  It's impressive how helpful they actually are.
2) On a related note, be aware of the slightly different mechanics of crouching and hitting the bomb shortcut vs. selecting it and then throwing it.  With the shortcut key, Spelunky guy will drop it right on his center, with the use button, he'll throw it slightly forward.  Crouching right against a wall and using the shortcut button will reliably blast through 2 horizontal blocks.
3) As some others have mentioned, if you kill a shopkeeper, they'll be after you for the whole game, but if you avoid killing one, and then make it through the next level without killing the shopkeeper at the exit, you won't be wanted anymore.
4) Never jump down a hole you can't see the bottom of.  Hang off the edge and hold down to see farther.  If you still can't see the bottom, use a rope.  Crouching at a ledge and hitting the rope key will drop one down.  It may sometimes also be useful to know you can throw one up while hanging over a ledge as well.
5) Never EVER hold the run key if you don't know what's up ahead.  You'll most likely run face first into an arrow trap or something equally stupid.
6)  Your whip is very versatile.  You can hit enemies with the backswing, which reaches higher than the actual swing.  You can hit spiders hanging from ceilings 3 blocks above you this way.  You can also start a swing and then jump, making it come out sooner in your jump.  This is especially useful if you're hanging on a ledge with an enemy right above you.
7)  You may already know, but spikes are safe to run into from the side, and also to fall onto from a height of only one block.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 03:41:10 PM by Eternal Toaster » Logged
beatthelastboss
Mossbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 09:43:59 AM »

Alright guys, now that I have gotten all this help, I shall begin my mission. Since you put in so much work for me, I will do the same for you. Say goodbye to the little chatroom in my siggy, and say hello to almost-real-time stats from my spelunking days! I will keep you posted through it, so continue to watch my siggy for more info!

Peace!  Cheesy

eguee
Mosskid

HYAAAAH!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 08:10:25 PM »

Alright guys, now that I have gotten all this help, I shall begin my mission. Since you put in so much work for me, I will do the same for you. Say goodbye to the little chatroom in my siggy, and say hello to almost-real-time stats from my spelunking days! I will keep you posted through it, so continue to watch my siggy for more info!

Peace!  Cheesy
Gluck!
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2009, 10:22:02 AM »

Wow, didn't realize you hadn't even gotten shortcuts. Alright buddy, you kick that games ass!

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
beatthelastboss
Mossbaby

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »

Wow, didn't realize you hadn't even gotten shortcuts. Alright buddy, you kick that games ass!

Will do, buddy, will do!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: