Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Teleporter range difference between XBLA and PC  (Read 3758 times)
Gene
Shoot

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2013, 11:40:25 PM »

Based on feedback from Bananasaurus Rex (current Hell speedrun World Record holder and holder of one of the best regular run times as well) it seems that the teleporter behaves differently on the PC and XBLA:

• On the XBLA, teleporting down teleports you between 3 and 5 spaces.
  • On the PC, teleporting down teleports you between 4 and 8 spaces.

Teleporting in any direction other than down is 4-8 spaces on both PC and XBLA.

Apparently this is a big deal for speedrunning, because the 3-5 space teleport range is much safer than 4-8, and thus much easier to speedrun with. It causes an unfair advantage to XBLA (or an unfair disadvantage to PC) players.

It'd be nice to know whether this discrepancy is intended, and if it isn't, which behavior is the correct one, and whether there could be a patch that unifies the behavior between PC and XBLA one way or another.

Thanks!
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:01:58 AM »

IDK, but the latter can be correct as it teleports 4-8 blocks like it does for every other direction.

Gene
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 12:23:50 AM »

IDK, but the latter can be correct as it teleports 4-8 blocks like it does for every other direction.

Sure. This post isn't so much about saying the PC version is "right", as just stating there is a difference which should be fixed be the same on both XBLA and PC, whether that "same" value would be 4-8 or 3-5.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 01:40:08 AM »

Sure. This post isn't so much about saying the PC version is "right", as just stating there is a difference which should be fixed be the same on both XBLA and PC, whether that "same" value would be 4-8 or 3-5.
Well, yes, it should. It seems like the PC version is more updated than the XBLA version and there hasn't been future updates, so there are plenty of differences in the two versions. It may take some time get it fix in the next PC update as there hasn't been any new updates in a while.

Loder333
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:01:41 AM »

Bananasaurus Rex here. I think it would be reasonable for down to be 3-5 spaces in all versions, because you have a comparitively small view distance down/up (5 spaces) compared to left/right (10 spaces.)

While speed running isn't necessarily the standard/expected goal, the teleporter is basically useless to almost anyone other than speed runners, so the fact that you would have to stop and look down every time you teleport down if you wanted to be sure it was safe makes it less engaging and far more difficult than it really has to be (and not the good kind of difficult, in my opinion.)

Limiting it to 5 spaces—equal to your view distance—would make more sense, and would be more analogous to the other directions, where you can see most of the dangers that you might face after teleporting, without having to stop and wait for the screen to move.

Of course, it might make sense to have upward teleporting work the same way for consistency's sake, but it's not quite as necessary since you'll probably already have seen what's up there on your way down, and falling downward onto spikes, for example, wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Of course, all of this is not necessarily to say that I'm requesting a change to be made, but it would be cool, nonetheless, if it were taken into consideration. I would be almost as satisfied if the XBLA version were patched to work the same way as the PC version, as that would at least make it an even playing field between speed runners across different versions (and the inconsistency with cascading paste bomb physics across platforms would be a good thing to see standardized as well.)

At any rate, it's not the end of the World, and speed runners are obviously very much a minority, so chances are we'll just have to deal with the fact that the versions are different, and possibly even separate the two versions into different World record categories. But anyway, I thought it would be worthwhile to share my thoughts on the matter, just in case we're lucky enough that it might actually be looked into.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:05:03 AM by Loder333 » Logged
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 03:29:24 AM »

Bananasaurus Rex here.
Didn't knew that YOU were Bananasaurus Rex and held the world record for Hell speedrun! Shocked

Loder333
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 02:42:11 PM »

Bananasaurus Rex here.
Didn't knew that YOU were Bananasaurus Rex and held the world record for Hell speedrun! Shocked

Yup, that's me! I'm Bananasaurus Rex on steam, and Loder333 on Xbox live.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 11:42:52 PM »

Bananasaurus Rex here.

Yup, that's me! I'm Bananasaurus Rex on steam, and Loder333 on Xbox live.
Different names on different platforms, I see. Tongue
And the world record, my respect for you has indefinitely increased. Cool

Loder333
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 02:50:39 AM »

Thanks! I actually claimed the Olmec World record with a time of 2:13 tonight as well! Smiley

Here's the link if you'd like to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVfLcoJNnTY

Maybe now I'll switch back over to the XBLA version and take advantage of that easier teleporter to go for the best time on that platform as well. Wink
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 03:03:02 AM »

Thanks! I actually claimed the Olmec World record with a time of 2:13 tonight as well! Smiley

Here's the link if you'd like to watch it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVfLcoJNnTY

Maybe now I'll switch back over to the XBLA version and take advantage of that easier teleporter to go for the best time on that platform as well. Wink
Jaws = dropped
2:13!!! *faints*

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

"OMG! I got the world record for Olmec speed run! YES! *laughs* Finally! Oh yea! Oh yea! It happens..."

BTW, liked the SMB world 2 music with it!
Also, the first shopkeeper killing technique, were you the one who posted that on Steam? or did you learned it from the one who posted it?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:58:38 AM by Blaze06h » Logged

Loder333
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »

Jaws = dropped

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

"OMG! I got the world record for Olmec speed run! YES! *laughs* Finally! Oh yea! Oh yea! It happens..."

Also, the first shopkeeper killing technique, were you the one who posted that on Steam? or did you learned it from the one who posted it?

Yup, I was the one who posted that. Although in this video I used a slight variant that I've been liking lately, which is to move back to the entrance of the shop for the second head jump instead of staying in place. It has a few benefits, including being slightly faster, separating the shotgun from the shopkeeper more often, and making it possible to avoid 3rd and 4th spot climbing gloves without having to move them first. Latedog on twitch.tv was the first to do it this way, and when I saw him do it, I tried it a bit myself and find it to be an improvement.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 01:10:16 AM »

Jaws = dropped

CLAP! CLAP! CLAP!

Yup, I was the one who posted that. Although in this video I used a slight variant that I've been liking lately, which is to move back to the entrance of the shop for the second head jump instead of staying in place. It has a few benefits, including being slightly faster, separating the shotgun from the shopkeeper more often, and making it possible to avoid 3rd and 4th spot climbing gloves without having to move them first. Latedog on twitch.tv was the first to do it this way, and when I saw him do it, I tried it a bit myself and find it to be an improvement.
That way, you don't have to throw the shopkeeper away to find the shotgun he dropped.

BTW, Congrats on your 99 likes and 0 dislikes.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: