Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: a couple bugs and a question about bugfixes  (Read 11144 times)
will2asher
Shoot

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2013, 10:13:05 PM »

Is there ever going to be an update to the PC version of the game?
Or are there any unnoffical bugfix updates (that have no mods other than fixed bugs)?
If not, is there any point in reporting bugs?

In any case, I found a couple and I don't know how to find out if they've already been reported before.  
- When the shopkeeper is already angry when you enter a level, the game makes an extra copy of the shopkeeper by the exit door.  So there's two angry shopkeepers on the level with one shop.
- I forget what the other one I found was, I'll come back when I find it again...
EDIT: I remember now:  A lot of times the parachute deploys when you don't need it.  A lot of times I fall on purpose because I know it's a distance that's I've fallen before without getting hurt and the parachute activates anyway.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:28:56 PM by will2asher » Logged
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 11:01:47 PM »

There'll probably be no official updates of this version, since they're busy with the current HD version...
If you have time and money and want updates, then you can try this: Spelunky on Steam!
But there is an unofficial update v1.3, you can try.

About the bugs you mentioned:
1) It's intended, it does it so that you face an extra challenge as a punishment, and face a shopkeeper even when there isn't a shop in the level. If you steal from a shop, they'll wait at the exit for two succeeding levels, if you kill him, forever in that run.
2) It's intended, too. Everything has its Pros and Cons!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 11:05:07 PM by Blaze06h » Logged

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 12:15:50 AM »

The shopkeeper thing is definitely intentional. I guess the idea is you're a wanted criminal and the shopkeeper's guild (or something) has sent some of their guys out to ambush you. They appear whether or not there's a shop on the level.

I disagree with blaze about the parachute, there's actually a specific logic error in the code that causes that. When you're falling, it looks ahead (i.e. down) two tiles to see if you're about to land safely, in which case it shouldn't deploy. But what if the thing you're landing on is only one tile thick? It looks past it, and deploys the parachute thinking there's no ground in sight.

Anywoo... There will almost certainly never be any further official updates to Spelunky Classic. For a fan update with very few non-fix changes, I recomend Spelunky Community Update Project. It has much the same goal as Spelunky 1.3, but has been worked on more recently.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:19:59 AM by Urza » Logged
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 01:59:19 AM »

I disagree with blaze about the parachute

Sorry, I didn't observed the post. It states that it deploys even when the fall doesn't take damage...

BTW, it's Blaze with a (capital) B. Cool (Just Kidding. I was just copying KarjamP's style. Tongue )

will2asher
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 06:03:29 AM »

The parachute thing is really minor, but I hate that extra shopkeeper.  It sucks that whenever you didn't foresee that the boulder would bounce back and hit the wall of a shop, your game is screwed.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »

It certainly does suck, but it's not really a bug. At least the part about spawning by the exit. Some of the things they blame you for are arguably buggy.

It IS entirely possible to win a game even with those guys after you, but needless to say it does make things quite a bit more difficult. Also, As long none of them actually die, they'll give up chasing you after about two levels.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 01:46:24 PM by Urza » Logged
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 11:00:56 AM »

The parachute thing is really minor, but I hate that extra shopkeeper.  It sucks that whenever you didn't foresee that the boulder would bounce back and hit the wall of a shop, your game is screwed.

It certainly does suck, but it's not really a bug. At least the part about spawning by the exit. Some of the things they blame you are arguably buggy.

It IS entirely possible to win a game even with those guys after you, but needless to say it does make things quite a bit more difficult. Also, As long none of them actually die, they'll give up chasing you after about two levels.
Ahh... the shopkeeper getting angry for incidents out of our control is a problem on the HD version...
In the Classic, it occurs rarely, very rarely, since there is frozen region, no mines or tiki men, boulder travel less and frozen region makes it less likely to get into a shop.

About the boulder, it happens early in the game, so you shouldn't worry much, if your run is wasted. The latter areas' idol traps aren't much of a problem for shopkeepers...

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 03:11:45 PM »

Honestly I kind of miss the frozen region in HD version. It is abusable though. Just like Rihanna's face (Sorry I had to)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: