Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Over-powered weapons inside crates!  (Read 9017 times)
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 01:42:22 AM »

the game is based around being completely random, it's not a flaw. and if someone dies from it, it's their own fault they were using it. the game didnt make them use it. if you got attacked from above while holding a shotgun so you couldnt whip in time before they land on you, that wouldnt be cheap, but the plasma cannon is? it has a negative affect to it just like the rest of the held items, it would be your own fault for relying on it too much if the knockback or explosion killed you
Sorry for the confusion...
I didn't meant that the Plasma Cannon would kill you, but getting the Plasma Cannon makes that run a lot different than other runs. Getting one is a fortune. But then dying stupidly is hugely disappointing...

Getting a Plasma Cannon by any other means (i.e. without crates), requires you to beat a insanely tough challenge... But what's the challenge if you can simply get one from a crate if you're the lucky person.

If one gets it from a crate, he can do insane highscores that can top the leaderboards! But it all depends on the luck!!! Fair enough, I guess!

"With Great Weapons comes Great Challenge!"

Getting one from a crate = challenge destroyed!

Fishou
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 02:02:03 AM »

In my opinion, It is a way to make the user think: "Well, I gues it'll be a stupidly fun run now Tongue "

But I agree that if that happen during a daily challenge, inside a crate that need to use one bomb in the mines, I think leaderboard will be divided with:

-The ones who trade a bomb for the plasma cannon
-The ones who didn't
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 02:25:15 AM »

1) In my opinion, It is a way to make the user think: "Well, I gues it'll be a stupidly fun run now Tongue "

2) But I agree that if that happen during a daily challenge, inside a crate that need to use one bomb in the mines, I think leaderboard will be divided with:

-The ones who trade a bomb for the plasma cannon
-The ones who didn't
1) See:
What a Waste!
How to get a top 10 highscore?
Saw the difference of having it and not having it? It's fun, but it's insane to have it!
Getting a cute alien out of a jar is fun! Wink

2) I get it that you can understand, but it would make it complex IMO!
Though acquiring it with your skill i.e. beating Mothership, makes it really something to boast about and/or be proud of and also, in a fair way.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 02:33:12 AM by Blaze06h » Logged

Toolzy
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 12:02:02 PM »

I know for a fact this won't get through to you, and you will never change your mind, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with an ultra rare item that pops up literally every 1000 runs.  Your justification of someone hating themselves and getting mad when they lose a run with a plasma cannon makes no sense, losing is part of the game. Plasma cannon isn't a guaranteed win, it's a rare item that makes for a fun run.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 12:09:20 PM »

True that losing is a part of the game, but losing in a run that might never happen in the until the next thousand run isn't that great, is it? Plasma Cannon = Infinite Bombs!

Plasma isn't a guaranteed win, but it sure is the only way to get insane highscores.
Have you read this yet:

bqheath
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 08:15:34 AM »

If you would have taken the time to read the thread that you linked you would see that the plasma cannon is not the only way to get high scores. The 2nd ranked player on the leaderboard even says:

"Anyway, to get top 10 you have to basically get the jetpack, mattock or lots of bombs, and the key and chest (or sunglasses) by 1-2 (1-3 at least). Then you have to get nearly every gem into a diamond and continually get lucky with mattocks or bombs. "

Also you're complaining about high scores in a leaderboard for a random game. Someone is bound to get a better seed than you. That's why the daily challenge is there. So that everyone has an equal playing field.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a rare item spawning in a crate 1/1000 of the time.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 08:40:16 AM »

1) There is absolutely nothing wrong with a rare item spawning in a crate 1/1000 of the time.

2) If you would have taken the time to read the thread that you linked you would see that the plasma cannon is not the only way to get high scores. The 2nd ranked player on the leaderboard even says:

"Anyway, to get top 10 you have to basically get the jetpack, mattock or lots of bombs, and the key and chest (or sunglasses) by 1-2 (1-3 at least). Then you have to get nearly every gem into a diamond and continually get lucky with mattocks or bombs. "

3) Also you're complaining about high scores in a leaderboard for a random game. Someone is bound to get a better seed than you. That's why the daily challenge is there. So that everyone has an equal playing field.
1) Only if that rare item isn't insanely powerful...

2) I meant you observe that how most people state that you have to get the Plasma Cannon to get those high scores... as getting one lets you bomb an entire level. An Plasma Cannon is worth infinite bombs.
Besides, getting one Jetpack (and possibly, a Mattock) makes you somewhat rely on your skill too. Getting the Plasma Cannon requires you to complete the insanely hard Mothership... so why add items that's supposed to be bound to a challenge given freely.

The Plasma Cannon isn't the only way, but sure one of the way to achieve an insane high-score.

3) I agree, but the Plasma Cannon makes the difference extremely high. Plus, Spelunky is more based on skill, than on just plain luck.

Plus, there can be a crate that contains a Plasma Cannon, that some people will open it and some will not. It isn't there fault (is it?), but just plain bad luck (that could be solved). You may that it might also, happen with a shotgun or a jetpack, it the Plasma Cannon is much more powerful than that (in fact, maybe the most powerful weapon).
Nothing can break blocks better than the Plasma Cannon.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: