Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky Deathmatch Arena Editor (PC)  (Read 10574 times)
JaSp
Seedling

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2013, 12:06:27 PM »

Hey there,

As I mentioned in another thread, I've been working on a simple editor to change the Deathmatch Arenas in Spelunky. I haven't had enough time to make something polished, but the current version should work fine nonetheless.

This editor will directly modify Spelunky.exe and the english localization file. I take no responsibility in whatever could happen because of this!

To save a level, make sure to hit "Save Level", and then when you have changed all the levels you wanted to change, hit "Apply to Spelunky.exe"!
Usage is pretty straightforward: left click to draw the selected tile, right click to erase.
You can also save levels to .lvl files and thus easily share them. They have to be in the 'Levels' folder for the program to be able to load them.

The editor has been made with Unity, which is clearly not designed to create such tools; that's why the interface is ugly, and that you have to manually set the path to Spelunky.exe (I couldn't create any menu for the application!). It also explains why such a simple tool is around 18 Mb uncompressed!

DOWNLOAD HERE (~5 Mb)

Have fun!  Smiley
Subscriber01236
Mosskid

*something cool*

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 12:07:26 PM »

OH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUDOH MAI GAUD
IT IS FINALLY OUT Cheesy

Also when i try to use it it tells me it is not a valid path (using Steam version here)

Edit edit: ok i can do it when i move it to the desktop but not through steam... i try entering it in manually in a minute
Edit: Edit: Edit: when i entered the area manually (steam\steamapps etc) it worked
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:45:11 PM by Subscriber01236 » Logged

Subscriber01236
Mosskid

*something cool*

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »

IT works

Also the DLC files are still there but you can't play them in the regular game (through normal means), what is up with that?
Why only the characters? the DLC deathmatch arena ones look pretty cool :c
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:03:14 PM by Subscriber01236 » Logged

Brof. Yarott
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:33:21 PM »

Wow! Looks neat! Too bad it's only for Deathmatch stages, but that is alright! Now, who would create Bomberman stages here?

Spelunky HD for XBLA/PSN/PC needs by "Official" means the following:

* A Level Editor!
* An "Endless" Mode!
* The "Classic" Music Tracks!
* The "Walrus Lady" for good measure!
* Playable Characters: The Damsel(s), The Tunnel Man (w/ Mattock) & The Shopkeeper
Subscriber01236
Mosskid

*something cool*

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 02:57:49 PM »

Ok i made my first proper Deathmatch arena.
It iz a swimming pool
Preview:

You can download the .lvl file here if you want to play it :3
http://www.mediafire.com/?bhe8rg37hmxx632

Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 06:04:10 AM »

Wait... It's Done!?! YES, IT'S DONE!!! IT'S DONE!!! IT'S DONE!!! IT'S DONE!!! YEEEESSSS!!!

Thank you! :')

Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 06:42:18 AM »

Don't know if it is happening to someone else...

But the download is stopping at 5.1MB, every single time. Undecided Sad

JaSp
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 06:49:04 AM »

@Blaze06h: I tried to download it and it worked. Try this link maybe?
Else I'm not sure why it would do that...

@Subscriber01236: What do you mean about the DLC arenas? They do appear in my version of Spelunky.

By the way, I've only tested it with the Steam version but it should work with other versions as well. Can someone confirm this please?
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 06:58:12 AM »

@Blaze06h: I tried to download it and it worked. Try this link maybe?
Else I'm not sure why it would do that...
Strange... it does 5.1 MB in seconds, but then it stops with 0 kb/s!

If you don't mind... can you upload it in some other place.
BTW, that's the link I used.

Edit: Forget whatever I said before, I tried downloading it again and it took me 0 second! Since I already downloaded it so many times, my browser automatically saved the file up to the amount I already downloaded i.e. 5.1, then it just downloaded the rest 0.1 MB. So, problem fixed! Smiley
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 07:38:51 AM by Blaze06h » Logged

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 08:25:53 AM »

Looks amazing!

Sectus
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 03:17:13 PM »

Great work!

Have you looked into where the other pre-defined levels are (adventure lobby and tutorial stages)? It could be fun to edit those as well.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 11:52:12 PM »

By golly it works! Very impressive. Although it makes me long for a full scale level editor even more.
JaSp
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 04:18:14 AM »

Have you looked into where the other pre-defined levels are (adventure lobby and tutorial stages)? It could be fun to edit those as well.
I haven't found the predefined ones but I did manage to edit the generated levels directly with an hexadecimal editor; but a proper editor for this would take time because we would need to reverse-engineer the whole level format, find exactly how the procedural rooms are laid out, and see if it wouldn't interfere with the daily challenge to prevent cheating.

While we wouldn't be able to choose which rooms would randomly get selected (i.e. create custom-made levels), we could theoretically edit these rooms to alter the game (make it easier, harder, or just different for example).
stewartisme
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 06:26:00 PM »

"This is gonna be funny"

"haha"

(Sorry about the huge photo size! Will work on that!)

KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 02:36:16 AM »

"This is gonna be funny"

"haha"

(Sorry about the huge photo size! Will work on that!)
Sacrifices are us.

Now you've just broken the game (literally).

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: