Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Super Spelunky Bros. Texture Pack (Beta)  (Read 20591 times)
BoogieLove
Shoot

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2013, 02:27:22 PM »

Hello, fellow Spelunkers!

Well, after much tweaking and testing, we are finally ready to release the "Super Spelunky Bros." Texture Pack!  This is Beta, of course- the only areas that are done are the Mines and the Jungle.  A bunch of the Monsters are completely converted, as well as an isht ton of the Items (it's recommended you take a gander at your Journal to view the Items and Monsters that were changed).  There are some Menu items and stuff done, as well.

After playing it for a while, I gotta say- it's pretty cool.  Things just... feel right (especially seeing a HammerHead Bro getting impaled on spikes...)

Have a Look:

▼New Title Screen▼

▼The Walls Are Shifting...▼

▼In The Mines▼

▼Bowser Kali Statue▼

▼Princess Peach Letter Results Screen▼

▼DO NOT anger Toadette!▼

▼Jungle Trap▼

Videos:
Mines Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMcqFwqxf60&feature=youtu.be

Jungle Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DegpFOApIMQ&feature=youtu.be

Download Links:
Textures:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d29lx54soc5ico0/Super_Spelunky_Bros.rar
Music:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/s766xsdemcgw7y9/Super_Spelunky_Bros._Music.rar

Playable Characters:
King Bowser:
http://mossmouth.com/forums/index.php?topic=3812.0

Princess Peach:
http://mossmouth.com/forums/index.php?topic=3813.0

Pauline:
http://mossmouth.com/forums/index.php?topic=3713.0

Planned Updates:
-Re-do the Ice Cavern
-Re-do the Final Temple
-Re-do Hell
-Re-do CoG
-Finish Items
-Finish Enemies
-Playable Characters
-Update Main Menu
-Graphical Touchups

Updates will come every two weeks.

**  CoolImportant-Though there was a lot of custom work done here, all rights go respectively to their origins.  Some are SNES sprites, some are custom sprites, some are deviantArt drawings- the list goes on and on.  We take credit for absolutely nothing.  Much kudos to the very talented people out there! Cool**

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 07:32:20 PM by BoogieLove » Logged
BoogieLove
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 05:23:20 PM »

Had to re-upload it.  The wrong HUD icons were in the original. New Download Link above.
SoProIWhipArrows
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 05:27:49 PM »

I'm sorry but I personally feel this is an insult to Derek Yu and Andy Hull's very hard work in creating this masterpiece of a video game, you aim to change everything about this game? why?

I appreciate originality and creative thinking, which both of these great guys obviously worked very hard to achieve. The Kali statue and The walls are shifting are one of my favorite artworks, they just look so cool...to replace them with generic Mario characters, I-I just do not understand your train of thought, I am not attacking you, I am merely stating my opinion and would like to ask you, are you not satisfied with the 400 other Mario games that are out there? do you need to listen to the same old recycled Nintendo tunes for the 24,000th time?

I hope the mods do not take this as an attack because it is not, I am literally baffled that someone finds the need to change every. last. single. thing. about this masterpiece of a video game.  Huh?
Bonebreaker005
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 05:39:35 PM »

Going to agree actually, Spelunky is an amazing game and looks so fun and cartoon like, its not mario? not even in the slightest, if you wanna play mario, go play mario?

Why do this?
SoProIWhipArrows
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 05:47:57 PM »

I have so much respect for Derek and Andy and what they created, it's honestly my all time favorite video game and I can see myself playing this 5 years from now. I don't think they read the forums often but I wish they would reply to this thread.

This is like someone re-making The Lord of the Rings or something, I won't turn this into a flamewar or insult anyone but I can not sit here and not express my opinion as my favorite video game is getting plastered with Mario stickers.  Lips Sealed
darkunderdog
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 05:59:50 PM »

I think its amazing! keep the work up!
FinalDustination
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 06:12:08 PM »

You are right, this game is amazing, but how is this an insult? First, they are more than aware that people modded the original version, it actually helped to give it life, possibly even helped slightly to get it to the HD point.

They made this game with the ability to mod it, even with a repacking tool...Which whole purpose is to allow for easy and quick changes of the texture files.

Either way, everyone has their own opinion, and we all know yours, you've actually replied to other posts with a similar attitude. 

My opinion is that it is in no way insulting to the game, the game is amazing, and the "look" of the game while stunning, isn't even scratching the surface of why the game is as fun as it is. The real genius of the game is the game play, the game play is completely different than Mario.  Changing the "skin" doesn't take away from the mechanics of the game.

Why can't someone play this with a Mario skin and also play Mario? They play completely different from each other.

Much love to Derek and Andy and all the Spelunky supporters of all types.
BoogieLove
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 06:16:18 PM »

@DarkUnderdog- thank you for your kind words!  We plan on it! Grin  P.s.- Love the UnderDog character!  High quality!  He looks great, even in the Mario environment!

@SoPro- we understand how you feel about it, you have already distributed your disgust of it in the Damsel post.  At this point, your comments aren't even constructive criticism, as they should be- they're just trolling fodder.  You don't like, you don't have to download it.  I don't have to explain to you why we're doing it- we're going to continue to do so.

At the very least, don't comment the same negative crap on everything related to it- that's Troll 101.  We get it. "SoPro does not like the Mario Mods in Spelunky".  We got it.

When it comes to insulting The creator and the artist- I have to firmly disagree with you.  If you had even spent one second looking at the textures, aside from just bashing the whole project and deeming it "offensive to the core idea", you would have noticed most of the stuff was changed to fit the Spelunky world- within limits.

I suggest you just stay away from this mod, any other mod like it, as you aren't doing anything of use for the community- or their projects.

Cheesy
With that out of the way- can we all Spelunker peacefully now?
Sparrow800
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 06:20:04 PM »

this looks nice, i just wish someone would make a luigi character mod :/

BoogieLove
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 06:22:06 PM »

this looks nice, i just wish someone would make a luigi character mod :/

That's going to be our next update, the four main characters- Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser! Wink
Denhonator
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 05:14:14 AM »

Saying that this is an insult towards the developers, is dumb in my opinion. This is a great piece of a mod, which many will likely enjoy in the future.
If they would want, I doubt it is too difficult to disable editing textures.

Now that I have said what I wanted to point out, I want to say how amazed I am about this. Of course, it's not done yet, but it sure looks cool! Keep it up, I think smaller communities are always improved, if we have people who make cool mods =)
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 06:24:55 AM »

I'm a bit... (o.O) ... with you people saying it's an insult to Derek and Andy...
You know what mods are, right?

They are additional content/changes made for fun.
Not an insult to developers nor a fix.
BoogieLove didn't made this because he felt it's a mario clone, he was just creating fun stuff for the game...
Modding increases the life span of a game, because people try these changes when they're bored.

BoogieLove
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 08:11:25 AM »

Grin
Thank you for the support, everyone.  I gotta say, I wasn't sure.... but in the end, I look at it like I look at mods in every other game- if they can put Bronies in L4D, they will.  More to the point, if someone is actually going to take the time and apply themselves to something, and then turn around and have the heart to post it for the entire world- I applaud them.

When it comes to Mario in Spelunky- I want it, and know other people would like it, so I want them to have it, too.  Luckily, if you own a copy from GOG, you can have two different versions installed- one Mario, and one not (for those times you don't want Mario).

Again, thank you very much for the support.  We'll continue to work on this... and then after, we shall begin re-writing Lord of the Rings!

Bwahahahahaha!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 08:13:04 AM by BoogieLove » Logged
Subscriber01236
Mosskid

*something cool*

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 08:50:52 AM »

Even though i personally don't like mods like this that change the ENTIRE look of spelunky I like it.
It is SO OBVIOUS you put so much time and attention into this mod unlike some modders for some other games where they just stop making the mod halfway through and never update it again.
It is obvious you have done so much to make the theme of mario fit spelunky (pipes in the ground, the traps, the damsels, the shops and their keepers etc) and it is people like you who keep my faith in modding.
Can't wait for that Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser character mod.
Im gonna have to to re-do my "Spelunky Guy wins by doing nothing!" video and using the luigi skin in it for teh lulz Tongue
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 08:54:27 AM by Subscriber01236 » Logged

Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 09:15:06 AM »

Even though i personally don't like mods like this that change the ENTIRE look of spelunky I like it.
It is SO OBVIOUS you put so much time and attention into this mod unlike some modders for some other games where they just stop making the mod halfway through and never update it again.
It is obvious you have done so much to make the theme of mario fit spelunky (pipes in the ground, the traps, the damsels, the shops and their keepers etc) and it is people like you who keep my faith in modding.
Can't wait for that Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser character mod.
Im gonna have to to re-do my "Spelunky Guy wins by doing nothing!" video and using the luigi skin in it for teh lulz Tongue
Modders of Speluny are unique!
Rename your thread to "Luigi wins by doing nothing!"

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: