Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Player 1 can't use a controller?  (Read 8453 times)
Wenrith
Seedling

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2013, 02:59:10 PM »

I've played spelunky for over 40 hours on my Logitech game-pad, all as player one. Recently I can't. The controller is recognized by the game, but when i go to controls, only players 3 or 4 can use the game-pad, while player 1 is stuck with the keyboard. This makes no sense to me, as I have already played as player 1 with the controller.
xxsoulspelunkerxx
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:03:35 PM »

Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?

just kidding.. or maybe not.. maybe that will work..  my controller for some reason recognised it as player 2, i restarted my computer, installed updates, and just left the game alone for a couple hours, and when i reconnected the controller, it worked.
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:01:39 AM »

Do you have it set to "Xinput" mode instead of "DirectInput" mode?

Because Spelunky only supports Xinput controllers.

There should be a switch at the back of the controller that allows you to toggle beteen them (the switch at "X" means "Xinput mode" and vice versa for "D".)

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
qqqbbb
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 02:46:13 PM »

Happened to me too. Only player 3 could use controller. Fixed by rebooting.
johnsonlam
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 04:22:10 AM »

Me too, my generic USB gamepad appear in control panel without any problem, but not able to choose in menu.

Already tried plug into different USB port but still fail to detect by the game.
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 06:24:33 AM »

^ Spelunky only supports generic gamepads if they support Xinput (ie, they act like an Xbox controller).

Newer Logitech controllers has a (default) mode where you can tell it to emulate an Xbox controller, thus, making those work with games that support Xinput.

Meet Bodyless!

Join Dropbox!

johnsonlam
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 10:18:32 PM »

Hi,

From a normal user's point of view, I just don't know anything about X-input or direct input, I'm playing the Steam version on PC. The game should tolerate any PC standard input, such as a normal USB game pad that can be bought from most of the shops.

Windows native support but the game refused. This is my 1st time in my 30 years game history.
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:57:18 AM »

The game should tolerate any PC standard input, such as a normal USB game pad that can be bought from most of the shops.
Unfortunately, the reality is that only a specific kind of controller is supported by many games made nowadays (ie, XBox controllers and clones).

Meet Bodyless!

Join Dropbox!

johnsonlam
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 09:30:43 AM »

Sir, I have to remind you I'm using Windows7, and don't mix with Xbox, if I'll buy a Xbox or PS3, I won't have this problem.

Anyway, if this is what you say "nowadays normal situation", the gaming industry should stop producing PC games and go straight to Xbox.
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 09:44:25 AM »

Sir, I have to remind you I'm using Windows7, and don't mix with Xbox, if I'll buy a Xbox or PS3, I won't have this problem.

Anyway, if this is what you say "nowadays normal situation", the gaming industry should stop producing PC games and go straight to Xbox.
Windows is made by Microsoft.

So is the Xbox.

Because of that, they made the Xbox controller usable on computers since the era of Windows XP.

That's when they've introduced Xinput, the controller standard designed for use with an Xbox controller.

Things happen, and now many major games use it as the only controller standard that it supports, despite the older standard DirectInput's more complex flexibility compared to Xinput.

(Your controller most likely uses DirectInput as its standard, which is why Spelunky doesn't recognize it).

Meet Bodyless!

Join Dropbox!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: