Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Slowdowns on Spelunky PSVITA  (Read 9790 times)
Spacerik
Seedling

View Profile Email
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:48:37 PM »

I am experiencing noticeable slowdown when encountering the ghost in the mines. As well as areas with ice effects.

Are the developers aware of these issues?
haydxn
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:36:10 AM »

Just replying to add to the repro-count Smiley I had it on an "I smell wet fur" ice level, so it was obviously very visually busy.

[It didn't feel like just a low frame rate though, it seemed to be just plain running slowly, like it doesn't drop frames and updates at a fixed time-step. I've not seen such a level since last night, so alas I can't be more specific, but I'm sure the devs can launch whatever kind of level they like to test it! Smiley ]

Not looking forward to hitting such a level during Vita/PS3 co-op! I expect the sync will get a little hairy if they are running at different speeds Smiley !

Still, amazing game. When this issue is sorted, it will be utter perfection.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:50:33 AM by haydxn » Logged
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 01:07:31 AM »

These problems occur on low-end PCs as well.
Who knows, maybe the PSVita is not powerful enough.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:14:36 AM by Blaze06h » Logged

KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 01:19:56 AM »

Fixed. Tongue

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:17:14 AM »

Fixed. Tongue
What are fixing, buddy? I see no change...

KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 11:06:12 AM »

Fixed. Tongue

I think the trollface meme's overused. Tongue

Anyway, in case anyone's wondering (before Blaze edited his post), he originally said "...the PSVita is not enough powerful.". Tongue

ONTOPIC: It could be that Spelunky's not optimized properly.

Afterall, the PS3's technically more powerful than the Xbox (although it's more difficult to develop with).

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 11:43:45 AM »

Fixed. Tongue

Anyway, in case anyone's wondering (before Blaze edited his post), he originally said "...the PSVita is not enough powerful.". Tongue
Oh no! Now everybody knows the secret and I have become the fool!
Why did you did that KarjamP? Cry

It could be that Spelunky's not optimized properly.

Afterall, the PS3's technically more powerful than the Xbox (although it's more difficult to develop with).
Then the PC version has not been optimized properly either...
Actually, low-end PCs are not that bad that it can't play 2D games.
The thing is that nowadays most developers try the easy way out, i.e. not optimizing properly. Believe me, if Spelunky had been made by Edmund McMillen or some other dev like Phil Fish, I couldn't have even played the game.

8bit_pirate
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 03:15:37 PM »

I'm seeing the slowdown in with the ghost (it's due to the fog effects).  I didn't notice any in the ice caves, but did find the city of gold VERY laggy.
Spacerik
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 04:14:58 PM »

Kind of hard to believe the Vita can't run at max when games games like Killzone, which have one of the best graphic fidelity in the Vita library can run at a stable 30 fps.

I understand different games are very different from one another as far as being powered by a console goes, but a 2D platformer like this should not be giving the Vita any trouble. I suspect poor optimization on developers part or not enough QA testing to discover these issues.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 07:00:24 AM »

Kind of hard to believe the Vita can't run at max when games games like Killzone, which have one of the best graphic fidelity in the Vita library can run at a stable 30 fps.

I understand different games are very different from one another as far as being powered by a console goes, but a 2D platformer like this should not be giving the Vita any trouble. I suspect poor optimization on developers part or not enough QA testing to discover these issues.
The consoles are made for gaming, it would make it useless if it was not even powerful enough to handle a 2D game like Spelunky... (that means, yes, you're right)

Actually the PS3 version is developed by another company...
They might not be as good as our original devs. Wink

8bit_pirate
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 09:34:40 AM »

The consoles are made for gaming, it would make it useless if it was not even powerful enough to handle a 2D game like Spelunky... (that means, yes, you're right)

I'm sure they aren't.  It IS just a port of the XBLA version and not the PC version (you can tell from the character select screen not grouping locked characters together).
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »

I'm sure they aren't.  It IS just a port of the XBLA version and not the PC version (you can tell from the character select screen not grouping locked characters together).
Yeah, ported.
BTW, are you telling me consoles aren't powerful enough to handle the gfx of Spelunky? Please be more specific to what you're replying.

8bit_pirate
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »

Yeah, ported.
BTW, are you telling me consoles aren't powerful enough to handle the gfx of Spelunky? Please be more specific to what you're replying.

Whoops, I meant that the dev's aren't as good as Deric and Andy.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 10:22:35 PM »

Yeah, ported.

Whoops, I meant that the dev's aren't as good as Deric and Andy.
Oh OK. Deric? You mean Derek?

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 07:35:12 PM »

Yep he means Derek. Anyways, Andy mentioned that there might be a low graphic option to time the fog down

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: