Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you try the mothership?  (Read 5350 times)
brotatoe
Shoot

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2013, 09:17:11 AM »

I always do. It's just too tempting, that weapon of absolute destruction. I keep telling myself it's not worth it, but when I get to 4-4, I manage to find some excuse.
And I always die. Every single time. Jetpack, shotgun, bombs, no matter what I have, I find a way to die. This time I narrowly avoided pink painbubbles and a random bomb, only to jump onto the edge of an elevator block as it was passing a ceiling. The wrong edge. The edge with the ceiling. *CRUSH*

So, do you try the mothership?
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »

A lot of people did.

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
Triggs
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 09:30:06 AM »

I went there once. Unlocked the robot and got the journal entries and have never been back since.
Subscriber01236
Mosskid

*something cool*

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 11:01:24 AM »

IMO there really is no reason to go there.
Other than the robot and the awesome music (imo) the plasma cannon isn't worth it when the kickback from firing it can kill you easily.
And the aliens are So dangerous (stupid Queen alien)
Now if there was more useful items there/ they made the item better i would go there.
The worm though hard and you can die at any moment/ get trapped/ have to constantly keep moving to avoid the bacterium has one of the best items in the game which can nearly kill everything in 1 hit from it and makes the rest of the level and game much easier (if you can't find a weapon)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:03:12 AM by Subscriber01236 » Logged

Sectus
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 11:13:40 AM »

I go there whenever I have the items for it, although I might be a bit hesitant if it's during a daily challenge.

One thing some people might not be aware of is that the mothership doesn't advance the current level count, it decreases it. So instead of going from 3-4 to 4-1, you go from 3-4 to 3-3. That means you end up playing 2 levels extra. For obvious reasons, that makes it pretty ideal for a score run.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 11:28:25 AM »

I would... if I ever get to reach it.

I even visit the Worm if I can.

And there's a even better reason to visit it, HI-TECH STUFF.

Hired Hans
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 06:01:06 AM »

@Subscriber - I feel quite the opposite about the bonus levels.

If I have a Jetpack (and ideally a shotgun too), the alien level is really not too hard, and it gives you a tool to get every last shred of gold from the temple. its a long frustrating, extremely dangerous process - but if you died before getting to the big head, it's really your only chance (and a good chance still) of getting a top score. If you have no shotgun, or if the two routes are still open to you, then you have a decision to make.

But I would have to say that if you're not a complete pro with several hell run completions under your belt - your best chance of an early high score will be taking 2 lives and going the plasma cannon route.

The worm on the other hand - maybe it's my inexperience, but i've met my early demise too often on the worm. You have no space to move. And until you get the knife - those bacteria things can't be stopped by shotgun which makes them a serious problem.

But like anything in Spelunky - wait until you're having a bad go and don't care about dying - then try something new like the worm level and over time, you'll get damn good at it.
xxsoulspelunkerxx
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 08:05:55 AM »

Way i do it, i aim for a hell run, and if i die with the ankh before i get the hedjet, i do the mothership.
SoProIWhipArrows
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 10:37:15 PM »

I go there whenever I have the items for it, although I might be a bit hesitant if it's during a daily challenge.

One thing some people might not be aware of is that the mothership doesn't advance the current level count, it decreases it. So instead of going from 3-4 to 4-1, you go from 3-4 to 3-3. That means you end up playing 2 levels extra. For obvious reasons, that makes it pretty ideal for a score run.

Wow are you serious?  Shocked

You get bonus levels, that is very interesting, too bad I never went there more than a handful of times until after I beat Hell, I've been practicing it and it's literally hard as Hell, maybe even harder than the average Hell level. Any tips? so many insta-kill dangers everywhere and having to constantly move around all the time to avoid that target thing is stressful.
Zombie_Mantrap
Bulb

Saaalaaaad...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 11:08:41 PM »

Wow are you serious?  Shocked

You get bonus levels, that is very interesting, too bad I never went there more than a handful of times until after I beat Hell, I've been practicing it and it's literally hard as Hell, maybe even harder than the average Hell level. Any tips? so many insta-kill dangers everywhere and having to constantly move around all the time to avoid that target thing is stressful.
Acquire fucktons of bombs and some bomb paste, And a jetpack...

That's about the closest to "playing it safe" you can get when fucking up aliens... Bring a shotgun for good measure. (Just don't choke on your own shot.)
Hired Hans
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 07:13:57 AM »

Ok here's a basic checklist to help you avoid death in the spaceship

1) clear out each stage one by one. You don't always have to clear the whole level but at least clear out the side you're going up

2) make sure all the little aliens in ships have killed themselves with their own bombs before proceeding.

3) if you have a shotgun, go up one side, hugging the wall and spray bullets along the roof of each floor to clear out those turrets.

4) BEWARE of forcefields that send your bullets straight back. so anytime you fire, get out of the way.

5) BEWARE of the shopkeeper making his way down. he will often be stuck in the exit but can get out. so either use a rope and stay near the ceiling as he descends.

6) kill the prince aliens one by one, unless they are not interfering with you. I frequently don't even need to bother with them.

7) clear all other obstacles around the queen alien before tackling her. stay out of range of her laser until you're sure all turrets are destroyed on the top level.

Cool spend as little time around the queen as possible.

9) identify a suitable place to bomb her, then chuck 2 bombs together at her and get out.

10) obviously keep moving toward the end and be very cautious about the forcefields as they can still mess you up.

Good luck!
Zombie_Mantrap
Bulb

Saaalaaaad...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 06:36:58 PM »

Robbed the black market to get the ankh.

Fuck up and die of fall damage.

With my ankh wasted I said fuck it and went for the mothership.

Abit of kapala grinding later and te shopkeeper inside the ship hit me with a MEATSHOT. ( 8) )

Luckilly however I had a FUCKTON of health, Letting my stunned body surf away from the angry old man and the psychic attacks.

Bomb the queen (barely.)

Grab the cannon.

Right as I fire it at a wall an alien lord's hiding behind the queen's energy shield turns on, Causing the plasma to hit me in the face.

Thanks obama.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 06:41:48 PM by Zombie_Mantrap » Logged
Skoke
Mossy

Ballin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 10:12:57 PM »

Ive been there twice, I was dissapointed.

You guys make it sound so hard, I beat it easy, once witha jetpack and once without. I ended up killing myself with the plasma cannon later, and once I suicided into alien queen just cause I didnt feel like playing anymore (i had no bombs for a good run anyways, and I was bored)
JustSmall
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 04:28:52 AM »

I just tried it with my sister in a co-op run from the start on and our main character was all buffed out with all sorts of items (jetpack), decent hp and some bombs. She died pretty early on (and then again  twice) but I managed to get to the mothership, got the plasma cannon and then nearly made it through the exit. Unfortunatelly we forgot the shopkeeper was waiting for us and promptly killed me but it was a fun run. Just a shame we didn't beat the game that run because I really wanted to get the plasma cannon to hell one time.

-Snip-
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: