Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: That level that came with Spelunky for a while...  (Read 6716 times)
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »

Does anybody remember there was a small custom level set included with a certain version of Spelunky? Or maybe I'm totally misremembering. The levels I'm thinking of were based on the temple tileset, and it was fairly tough, but not crazy.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 03:23:27 AM »

Um...that description could match a lot of things. Do you at least remember what version of Spelunky it went to?

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 09:25:29 AM »

Not specifically. But I am right at least that some versions of Spelunky came with Custom levels? And to be clear I mean an official version of Spelunky, not a mod.

The closest I can pin the version down is it one of the first versions I played, and I came in during the era when spikes only killed you on a 2+ tile drop, but this was fixed not too long after.
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 04:19:59 PM »

I'm not aware of any version that came with pre-made custom levels, so I can't help you there.

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 07:04:31 PM »

Are you sure it wasn't the magic signs release?

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 08:49:20 AM »

Are you sure it wasn't the magic signs release?
Since I made that... yeah I'm pretty sure.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:53:57 AM by Urza » Logged
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 12:35:39 PM »

I remember.

Some levels were bundled with the game while it was still in public beta.

I remember at least two levels:

One of them, I think, was called "Cave".

Another, "Tower" (which was multi-map), which the aim of the map was to climb a tower all the way to the top.

Coming to think about it, I think he's referring to the custom level called "Tower" that I've mentioned, as that used the temple tileset.

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 07:47:47 PM »

Coming to think about it, I think he's referring to the custom level called "Tower" that I've mentioned, as that used the temple tileset.
Great! I'd been doing a little digging too and this confirms a what I was tentatively guessing. See I found a copy of version 99.9b in a neglected corner of my HD, which included the tower levels, but also some levels that were clearly downloaded separately.

Is anybody else interested in playing this level set? I'm not sure exactly who made it (author is listed as "FIFTH"), but I doubt they'd mind if I reposted it.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:52:43 PM by Urza » Logged
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 08:23:48 PM »

From what you guys have posted so far, here's the original TIGSource thread where Fifths' and other levels were posted, with a post by Derek saying he would like to include a few maps with Spelunky 1.0. The list is mirrored on the Spelunky Wikia, but of course most of the download links are long dead...
But there's also several levels in the thread posted in code tags.  Maybe it would be a good idea for a heritage project to collect any of the remaining maps with working download links along with what we find in dusty corners of our hard drives, plus any posted in the thread itself into a 'Spelunky 1.0 Level Pack'.

halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 04:09:12 AM »

I have at least a gazillion .lvls I can contribute to this cause. I used to be very adamant about collecting them.

Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 10:14:58 PM »

That's a good question, actually. Why aren't more levels packaged with Spelunky, and why is the level editor/player still so concealed?

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Skoke
Mossy

Ballin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 11:46:39 PM »

True dat, I like the way editor+ has a door for it
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: