Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New wall grabbing  (Read 6467 times)
DooM Marine
Shoot

Yep.

View Profile Email
« on: August 16, 2013, 05:08:07 PM »

Makes me avoid the climbing gloves now. I don't mind the automatic ledge grabbing, but having the player cling to the wall without moving in it's direction makes them seem pointless, as they seem to do more harm than good. What do you think?

EDIT: talking about the pc version but i'm pretty sure it's on the xbox as well.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:13:26 PM by DooM Marine » Logged

Ooh, money!
NalaNosivad
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 05:19:06 PM »

I do agree, but I have to admit the automatic ledge grabbing has killed me (or at least caused pointless, easily avoidable damage) more than the new climbing glove mechanic.

I just wish there was an option to toggle the old behaviour for some things. But then, it's a remake, and I'm sure I'll get used to them sooner rather than later.

Stupid banners in the top-left corner of the screen annoying you in the new Spelunky? Using a PS3 controller via 360ce or MotionInJoy?

Grab my light UI/PS3 controller mod!
DooM Marine
Shoot

Yep.

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:30:01 PM »

An option for turning it on and off would be ideal, that way players who like it could still keep it. As much as I love the remake and all the things it brings, I'm not really able to get into it fully with this change, it kills me so often. I was trying to escape from the ghost and get into the exit which was against the wall, but three times he kept grabbing the wall, making it look like he was almost taunting the ghost. In the end the ghost got me from this.

Another idea is making the spelunker not auto-grab if you're holding the down key, that way you could have more control over it. The best of the two.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:31:33 PM by DooM Marine » Logged

Ooh, money!
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:43:42 PM »

An option for turning it on and off would be idea.
Yeah, that's what I wanted.

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 10:40:45 AM »

I admit I don't like this new mechanic but don't worry, you get used to it

DooM Marine
Shoot

Yep.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 11:21:40 AM »

That's a poor attitude. If something isn't good then why sit down and put up with it? (not trying to sound like politics, sorry)

Ooh, money!
Ade
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 11:29:10 AM »

It would be such a easy fix too (for climbing gloves). Just check if the player is holding the analog stick towards the wall, if he is, then stick to the wall, otherwise, don't.

OR add a button like LT that when holding down, it doesn't stick to any wall or ledge, or the other way around, it only sticks to ledges and walls if you hold it down.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 11:33:00 AM by Ade » Logged
Zombie_Mantrap
Bulb

Saaalaaaad...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »

I too am not fond of the automatic ledge grabbing, Keeps screwing me over. >.>
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 11:09:21 AM »

Like I said, Derek should make that optional.

I can tolerate the wall hang, but the Climbing Cloves, for it, I got hit by a BAT.

xxsoulspelunkerxx
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »

I hate climbing gloves so much, they've costed me countless deaths. at this point i almost want to restart the run if i accidently pick them up via a crate or something.
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »

That's a poor attitude. If something isn't good then why sit down and put up with it? (not trying to sound like politics, sorry)
I think what you mean is "if you don't like something", not if it isn't good.

This has been around since the beginning, I felt the same way as I've had bad things happen from grabbing a one block high ledge plenty of times. But that's how this game works, you have to learn to work with the mechanics and get better, not make the game easier for you. Personally, having to hold against the wall the whole time I want to grab would kill me much more, so I love the gloves actually.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 07:07:28 AM »

1) This has been around since the beginning, I felt the same way as I've had bad things happen from grabbing a one block high ledge plenty of times. But that's how this game works, you have to learn to work with the mechanics and get better, not make the game easier for you.
2) Personally, having to hold against the wall the whole time I want to grab would kill me much more, so I love the gloves actually.
1) The wall-hanging is bearable, but the climbing cloves, it made me hit with a bat for the first time.
2) I don' think in the classic version you had to hold against the wall the whole time; you only needed to hold it once, and once the player is stuck with the wall, no need to hold it anymore.

DooM Marine
Shoot

Yep.

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 12:39:34 PM »

This has been around since the beginning, I felt the same way as I've had bad things happen from grabbing a one block high ledge plenty of times. But that's how this game works, you have to learn to work with the mechanics and get better, not make the game easier for you. Personally, having to hold against the wall the whole time I want to grab would kill me much more, so I love the gloves actually.

The new glove mechanic has nothing to do with skill, and it's actually intended to be easier but became the other way around (not for everyone, but many.)

Ooh, money!
Triggs
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 01:54:53 PM »

The new grab mechanic is much much better. There's more situations where you want to grab a wall or ledge than situations where you want to fall. Even then falling is still very possible to do. I can totally see how it'd be jarring for people familiar with the classic version. This goes both ways though. I never really played the classic version until HD came out. At which point I went back and played it a bit and the ledge grabbing was horrible! It's all based on what you're used to. Though I do agree that there should be a button you can hold to turn off grabbing.
Bluddy
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 02:32:47 PM »

I  think the new wall grabbing makes the ice caves much easier. It just really sucks for tiki avoidance.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: