Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Mouse support?  (Read 9698 times)
AnRemy
Seedling

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2013, 12:40:45 PM »

I'd like to be able to left-click to use my whip, and right-click to use my bombs, but the game doesn't allow it. I'm just wondering if allowing players the option in the future is something that will happen or not, it would be kinda nice. I've tried scripts and a couple of programs, but the game still wouldn't allow me to use my left-click.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 01:19:04 AM »

Weird. I wonder how you play the game.

AnRemy
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 05:29:39 PM »

By "the game wouldn't allow me to do it", I meant use my mouse as an in-game tool, not for navigating menus and stuff like that. I can click through menus and navigate just fine with clicking, but it seems to override any attempt to bind an action (like using the whip or bombs) to the left and right click, or any buttons the mouse for that matter.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:45:34 PM »

By "the game wouldn't allow me to do it", I meant use my mouse as an in-game tool, not for navigating menus and stuff like that. I can click through menus and navigate just fine with clicking, but it seems to override any attempt to bind an action (like using the whip or bombs) to the left and right click, or any buttons the mouse for that matter.
Why do you want to do that? Wouldn't it much more confusing?

Sarge
Bean

Shotgun rain

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 06:04:42 PM »

Bro, you're the only one who wants it. I don't care if there's some people who does, but.....

99% of Spelunky users might find it a pointless feature.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 11:39:23 PM »

I would suggest using AutoHotkey to set up a macro such that when you click the mouse with Spelunky active it sends both the click and a key press. Then you can bind the key press, but clicks will still be recognized as clicks in menus. I haven't personally tested this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
DooM Marine
Shoot

Yep.

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 12:20:45 AM »

I would suggest using AutoHotkey to set up a macro such that when you click the mouse with Spelunky active it sends both the click and a key press. Then you can bind the key press, but clicks will still be recognized as clicks in menus. I haven't personally tested this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Now this is a helpful post. Instead of questioning the OP because he has a different style of play than yours, why don't you actually try helping him, Blaze?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 12:23:00 AM by DooM Marine » Logged

Ooh, money!
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 01:41:22 AM »

Now this is a helpful post. Instead of questioning the OP because he has a different style of play than yours, why don't you actually try helping him, Blaze?
Sorry, you're right, but when I don't have something that might truly help him, how will I help him?
I just wanted to ask why he wanted such a feature that nobody has ever asked to implement. Who plays Spelunky with a mouse?

Rodritony
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 10:25:55 AM »

Sorry, you're right, but when I don't have something that might truly help him, how will I help him?
I just wanted to ask why he wanted such a feature that nobody has ever asked to implement. Who plays Spelunky with a mouse?
Apparently, he does
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 10:47:46 AM »

Apparently, he does.
Not a game that was meant to be played with a mouse.

Pawkeshup
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »

I guess this is why I'm not getting further responses in the official support section, because it isn't how it's meant to be played?

I mean, it's a PC game, and some people are going to have a preference on how to play it. There's two routes to take

1 - list on your requirements certain peripherals you need
2 - provide support options to customize the input devices to suit your needs

Who knows, maybe he's disabled and needs to use the mouse due to limited finger mobility. Maybe he suffers from carpal tunnel and the mouse offers a different hand position. Maybe that's just how he wants to play.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »

I guess this is why I'm not getting further responses in the official support section, because it isn't how it's meant to be played?

I mean, it's a PC game, and some people are going to have a preference on how to play it. There's two routes to take

1 - list on your requirements certain peripherals you need
2 - provide support options to customize the input devices to suit your needs

Who knows, maybe he's disabled and needs to use the mouse due to limited finger mobility. Maybe he suffers from carpal tunnel and the mouse offers a different hand position. Maybe that's just how he wants to play.
He HAS to use the keyboard/gamepad whether he uses the mouse or not.
There are only three buttons on the mouse.

Incase, he is suffering from a disability like that, he probably can't even play the game, or atleast survive for a minute.

Pawkeshup
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 11:27:12 AM »

Wow, really?

AskACapper would likely have a word or two on that. I won't go further into that bullcrap statement. It could have simply meant that he has issues keeping his hands on the keys, or muscle weakness in his arms, or countless other disorders that make keyboards harder to use, where as a mouse would not be.

And mice do have more than two buttons and scrollwheel these days. What about multi-touch mice, or gaming mice? Again, returning the game to PC means either clearly defining what controls are required, or being more willing than you are right now to provide support for all configurations
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 11:45:58 AM »

Wow, really?

AskACapper would likely have a word or two on that. I won't go further into that bullcrap statement. It could have simply meant that he has issues keeping his hands on the keys, or muscle weakness in his arms, or countless other disorders that make keyboards harder to use, where as a mouse would not be.

And mice do have more than two buttons and scrollwheel these days. What about multi-touch mice, or gaming mice? Again, returning the game to PC means either clearly defining what controls are required, or being more willing than you are right now to provide support for all configurations
Okay, fine, go play Spelunky with a mouse (and ofcourse, beat atleast one level) and I'll agree. You're getting too deeper in this matter.

I'm pretty sure he has a normal mouse, because he only informed that he can't set it the left and right mouse button.

Rodritony
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »

I dont think we should reply again (oops) to this, i mean, he could clearly search for a program on the internet if he likes it that way, and if he as a problem with his hand, then he should play simple games and not ragequiting hard games, i dont think he is even reading this topic anymore, leave this as it is
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: