Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark levels are unfair and too dark  (Read 9808 times)
Triggs
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 02:21:21 PM »

You start fresh every time with no real progression. It's a roguelike.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 01:24:50 AM »

You know what, I was just like you people and argued with anyone who complained about situation, in a game I liked. But when the thing happened to me, I'm the idiot here.

You'll never understand the feeling of something until it happens to you.
Just because I complained about something I didn't like, doesn't mean I hate the game.

Actually that was not really what I asking for. I complained that dark levels happened randomly and could affect the game making severe loss or even death.

Did I complained about the randomness?
1) Yes you're. Because you find "unfair" the fact RNG didn't like you and put you a dark level.

2) I think you should learn the notion around random god. Random means you can get pretty fast awesome items, or not. It means you can get a dark level or not.

3) Seriously guy, your speech is pretty boring. I think we just should let your thread die, like you died in your dark level Tongue.

4)When you don't like RNG, just don't play a rogue-like which is the perfect genre where RNG is everywhere. You'll see "unfair" situations everywhere. Like the damsel is stuck behind walls, unreachable with your current items.
1) Things which can be fixed should be fixed. Make it like that there'll always a dark level in an area. Okay, I can take Random terrain and random events but the difference in a normal level and a dark level (especially in the later areas) is too much.

2) You're saying the exact same thing I'm complaining about. Can't I suggest something?

3) Your speech is not interesting either. I think I should stop replying to you like I should have done it much before.

4) No game is perfect, everything can be improved.
And, if you don't like me, don't talk to me either.

KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 01:57:52 AM »

By the way, Nathan, Spelunky is technically NOT a roguelike.

It was inspired by them, though, hence the game's difficulty.

Derek himself considers it a rogue like platformer

I used that argument on Wikipedia.

The response is: Just because the creator considers it one doesn't mean it is.

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 02:17:24 AM »

By the way, Nathan, Spelunky is technically NOT a roguelike.

It was inspired by them, though, hence the game's difficulty.

Derek himself considers it a rogue like platformer

I used that argument on Wikipedia.

The response is: Just because the creator considers it one doesn't mean it is.
I too, agree with that, it's inspired by rogue-like that's why it has so many rogue-like elements but it's not technically a rogue-like. The creator will always praise their thing.

Btw, those who were arguing with me and saying, "it's a rogue-like, you've to cope with that", how many of you have actually played a rogue-like other than Spelunky?

Triggs
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 06:11:51 AM »

Actually that was not really what I asking for. I complained that dark levels happened randomly and could affect the game making severe loss or even death.

I should have quoted it, but I was replying to Nathan on the other page.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 06:49:51 AM »

I should have quoted it, but I was replying to Nathan on the other page.
Sorry, my bad. It looked like you directed it to me, as everybody else (except KarjamP).
But what Nathan has done? I don't get it, he said it's a rogue-like and you're saying the same. Where's the argument?

Triggs
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 11:58:18 AM »

It wasn't an argument, I was agreeing with him.
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 12:18:48 PM »

To me, Spelunky has always been a game of choice and risk management.
Juggling items through a dark level can definitely be hell, the real question is: Is it worth it?
For a powerful and (relatively) difficult to obtain weapons like a shotgun, probably yea.
But as for a boomerang, they're all over the jungle levels. Even though it's probably my favorite weapon, I'd have to let it go.

Yea, the dark levels can be pretty brutal, but it's all about how you approach it as yet another decision in the game.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Harest
Seedling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 03:06:01 AM »

No game is perfect, everything can be improved.
What if the game doesn't need to be improve, but your skills need to ?
Your vision of the game doesn't fit with the vision of the devs, you'll have to deal with it, that's all.

And i don't care of you, i just don't like what you said. This is bullshit imo. In crude terms, i've the impression of seeing a whining pussy.

I don't take what you say like a suggestion, it seems more like an order to the devs.
You don't fix RNG, RNG fucks you hard.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 09:45:38 AM »

To me, Spelunky has always been a game of choice and risk management.
Juggling items through a dark level can definitely be hell, the real question is: Is it worth it?
For a powerful and (relatively) difficult to obtain weapons like a shotgun, probably yea.
But as for a boomerang, they're all over the jungle levels. Even though it's probably my favorite weapon, I'd have to let it go.

Yea, the dark levels can be pretty brutal, but it's all about how you approach it as yet another decision in the game.
Atleast, you're explained it better. By the way, it was the last jungle level and tiki-men carry torches in dark levels, so bye bye to boomerang.

No game is perfect, everything can be improved.
What if the game doesn't need to be improve, but your skills need to ?
Your vision of the game doesn't fit with the vision of the devs, you'll have to deal with it, that's all.

And i don't care of you, i just don't like what you said. This is bullshit imo. In crude terms, i've the impression of seeing a whining pussy.

I don't take what you say like a suggestion, it seems more like an order to the devs.
You don't fix RNG, RNG fucks you hard.
. //)
..,/ ../
./ ./
.// / `
.///./ ./- \
..(( . .~/)
\. ... /
.\.. .... _.
\. .(
..\ .\
............... ...\........... ....\
Angry

Zombie_Mantrap
Bulb

Saaalaaaad...

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 10:39:46 AM »

Spelunky and "unfair" go together better than peanut butter and yoga pants.

If spelunky was "fair" then you wouldn't die as soon as a level opens because random arrow traps/rocks hitting flying saucers causing them to blow you up/spawning next to a MOTHAFUCKIN MUMMY.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »

1) Spelunky and "unfair" go together better than peanut butter and yoga pants.

2) If spelunky was "fair" then you wouldn't die as soon as a level opens because random arrow traps/rocks hitting flying saucers causing them to blow you up/spawning next to a MOTHAFUCKIN MUMMY.
1) That unfair game has leaderboards that has to be fair.
2) Why?

Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 12:43:24 PM »

Atleast, you're explained it better. By the way, it was the last jungle level and tiki-men carry torches in dark levels, so bye bye to boomerang.
Ah well if it's the last jungle level than that's just unlucky.

As for the leaderboards, this is the exact reason why i like the Daily Challenge. It takes most of the luck out of the equation and final score boils down to pure skill and choice.

Jboyz3
Shoot

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »

Screw dark levels, I am fine with them unless I am trying to beat the game without collecting any treasure....
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 05:45:34 PM »

I believe there's a feature where you can stop dark levels from occurring if you complete the previous level under a certain amount of time. (I know Classic had that)

Of course, that tends to complete the opposite goal of collecting as much gold as possible, it's really only because of speedruns.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: