Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Compilation of Spelunky UI Mods - PS3 Controller + Light UI  (Read 43760 times)
NalaNosivad
Bulb

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2013, 08:34:34 PM »

Alan's Thread of Various Spelunky Texture Mods and Such

Ahoy there, fellow forumgoers! I've put together a few Spelunky mods that I found rather handy. The mods are below.

Now, the tool used to extract/re-archive the files is called Spelunktool, and it's by Sectus.

Spelunktool

Light-UI Mod

This is a mod that was actually requested a short while ago, but the reason for it has been annoying me immensely for a while. The annoying thing being the massive banners covering the top-left corners of the screen. Do they annoy you? Then this is the mod for you!

Take a look at what it does here.

Here are the modded files:

Image 1: http://www.alandavison.co.uk/mods/spelunky_hd/light_ui_mod/moneyhud.png
Image 2: http://www.alandavison.co.uk/mods/spelunky_hd/light_ui_mod/playerhud.png
Players: (For removing the heart in the upper-left if you want to do so)
http://www.alandavison.co.uk/mods/spelunky_hd/light_ui_mod/PLAYERS.zip

Quick tutorial for Windows Vista/7(I'll make a video showing how to do it tomorrow or so, if people want one):

1) Download Spelunktool and (for ease) extract it into your Spelunky's "Data" directory. This will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Spelunky\Data for Steam on 64-bit Windows, C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Spelunky\Data for 32-bit Windows, and wherever you installed Spelunky for the GOG.com/Humble Store version.

2) Open up a command prompt with administrator privileges. To do this, simply tap your start button, type in "cmd", then right-click the entry for CMD that shows up, and choose "Run as administrator".

3) Get to the directory you extracted Spelunktool to. To do this: cd <game path>, where <game path> is where you extracted Spelunktool. For example: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Spelunky\Data.

4) Open up Windows Explorer, and browse into the Textures directory, highlight alltex.wad and alltex.wad.wix, then hit ctrl + c to copy them.

5) Go back up a level to the Data directory and paste them there.

6) Go back to your cmd window, and type the following: spelunktool -x alltex.wad

7) Let the tool finish, and you should see a new "alltex" directory in Windows explorer. This is where the image files go!

8 ) Head on into the alltex directory with Windows explorer, then into the ANYLEVEL directory within there. Copy both moneyhud.png and playerhud.png into there overwriting the existing files. Unzip PLAYERS.zip, and drag all of the files in there into the PLAYERS directory. Or pick and choose which characters you want the heart removed on. Your choice.

9) Go back to your cmd window, then type the following command: spelunktool -c alltex

10) Wait for the tool to say something along the following lines so you know it's done:
alltex.wad created with 194 files.
33 duplicates.

11) Go back into your Textures directory, and make a backup of alltex.wad and alltex.wad.wix just in case you want to go back to the original Spelunky later.

12) Once you've made your backup, copy the alltex.wad and alltex.wad.wix files from the Data directory into the Textures directory.

Hooray! Finally done! Now launch Spelunky, and let me know what you think. I've tested in-game and in the menus, and everything looks fine to me.

PS3 Controller

This is my mod which changes the 360 controllers buttons to PS3 ones for those use their PS3 controller with MotionInJoy or similar. (like myself)

Take a look at what it does here.

Okay, here's the stuff:

Image 1: http://www.alandavison.co.uk/mods/spelunky_hd/ps3_ui_mod/controller.png
Image 2: http://www.alandavison.co.uk/mods/spelunky_hd/ps3_ui_mod/hudelements.png

Quick tutorial for Windows Vista/7(I'll make a video showing how to do it tomorrow or so, if people want one):

1) Download Spelunktool and (for ease) extract it into your Spelunky's "Data" directory. This will be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Spelunky\Data for Steam on 64-bit Windows, C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Spelunky\Data for 32-bit Windows, and wherever you installed Spelunky for the GOG.com/Humble Store version.

2) Open up a command prompt with administrator privileges. To do this, simply tap your start button, type in "cmd", then right-click the entry for CMD that shows up, and choose "Run as administrator".

3) Get to the directory you extracted Spelunktool to. To do this: cd <game path>, where <game path> is where you extracted Spelunktool. For example: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Spelunky\Data.

4) Open up Windows Explorer, and browse into the Textures directory, highlight alltex.wad and alltex.wad.wix, then hit ctrl + c to copy them.

5) Go back up a level to the Data directory and paste them there.

6) Go back to your cmd window, and type the following: spelunktool -x alltex.wad

7) Let the tool finish, and you should see a new "alltex" directory in Windows explorer. This is where the image files go!

8 ) Head on into the alltex directory with Windows explorer, then into the ATSTART directory within there. Copy hudelements.png into there overwriting the existing file.

9) Go back up a level, and then into the HELPNOOPTIONS directory. Copy controller.png into here.

10) Go back to your cmd window, then type the following command: spelunktool -c alltex

11) Wait for the tool to say something along the following lines so you know it's done:
alltex.wad created with 194 files.
33 duplicates.

12) Go back into your Textures directory, and make a backup of alltex.wad and alltex.wad.wix just in case you want to go back to the original Spelunky later.

13) Once you've made your backup, copy the alltex.wad and alltex.wad.wix files from the Data directory into the Textures directory.

Hooray! Finally done! Now launch Spelunky, and let me know what you think. I've tested in-game and in the menus, and everything looks fine to me.

Hope you enjoy it!

Quick and short edit history:
Changed link to Spelunktool to Sectus' original link.
14/08/2013 - Fixed a few typos.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:02:24 PM by NalaNosivad » Logged

Stupid banners in the top-left corner of the screen annoying you in the new Spelunky? Using a PS3 controller via 360ce or MotionInJoy?

Grab my light UI/PS3 controller mod!
joey4track
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:14:21 PM »

Cool mod. I use a 360 controller, even though the PS3 controller is better imho.

Speaking of UI mods, would you possibly be able to make a mod that would shrink the gold banner and the heart meter etc..? It's such a pain to have a run ended by a trap or something that was hiding behind the UI Undecided
NalaNosivad
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:27:53 PM »

I don't think it would be possible to shrink the text, but I should be able to get rid of the score banner, and the banner containing the health, bombs, and ropes.

Shrinking the heart icon to be similar to that of the bomb and rope should be doable, too. I think I'll give that a go!

Stupid banners in the top-left corner of the screen annoying you in the new Spelunky? Using a PS3 controller via 360ce or MotionInJoy?

joey4track
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 09:29:29 PM »

That would be amazing! And extremely useful Shocked
NalaNosivad
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:45:56 PM »

Got the files narrowed down, and doing 'em now! I've managed to get it looking like this so far, and I'm just working on the giant heart now.

The problem with the giant heart is that every single character spritesheet has its own heart in the lower right corner, so every single character needs to be edited, meaning it's not really compatible with existing character mods unless you remove the heart yourself.

Either way, almost there!

Edit: Actually, do you think the heart needs to be removed? It looks clear enough with it still there to me, but I'm unsure. Any thoughts?

Edit 2: Light UI mod done! The heart is still there since it requires editing every player spritesheet, but if people still want a version with them gone, I'll make it happen.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 10:06:26 PM by NalaNosivad » Logged

joey4track
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 10:06:57 PM »

Nice! That looks great!. I think it look just fine with the heart like that.
NalaNosivad
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 10:09:25 PM »

Well, I've updated the original post with the download links and instructions for that one!

Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »

Cool! I'll add it to compendium, later. I'm too busy now.

joey4track
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 11:15:30 PM »

So I did everything right I think but when I go and type spelunktool -x alltex I get "Error: couldn't open alltex for reading"

NalaNosivad
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 11:21:19 PM »

That's odd.. can you check  that alltex.wad and alltex.wad.wix are in the same directory, like you can see them both in the same Explorer window?

joey4track
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 11:55:32 PM »

Yeah they are both in there. I dunno whats up.

EDIT: I m going to bed, I'll figure it out tomorrow
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:03:48 AM by joey4track » Logged
NalaNosivad
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 12:09:20 AM »

I'm just getting off to sleep myself, and made a bit of a typo in that last reply. I meant to say to check whether or not alltex.wad.wix and alltex.wad were in the same directory as spelunktool.exe, because they should be. Then you move them back to the Textures directory once you've done the other steps. 

Sectus
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 03:19:05 AM »

It's not really a big deal, but I think I'd prefer you use my link to the tool. If I ever update the program I'll be replacing the same file, so the same link will work for any future version.
NalaNosivad
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 08:53:25 AM »

Done and done.

joey4track
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 03:43:50 PM »

So yeah, all files are together in the same folder. Has anyone else other than Nala gotten this to work??
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: