Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Level generation bug for a friend, possibly.  (Read 2980 times)
Xbob42
Seedling

View Profile Email
« on: August 12, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »

So, I've been debating with a friend whether this is actually supposed to happen or not.  Here, just look at the screenshot;

(Link to larger version: http://i.imgur.com/tGR5b0T.jpg)

As you can see, he starts off the level unable to progress without using a bomb or a rope.  I've told him this is completely out of the ordinary as in 300+ lives I've never once had an issue where I couldn't progress from the entrance to the exit using no items and having no accessories, so long as I took the correct path.

He insists that this is completely normal for him and that he often encounters issues such as this where a bomb or rope is required on each and every path he takes.

Who is correct here?  If I had situations like this, the game would become phenomenally harder as you'd have to conserve items just to get to the exit, rather than to get treasure/damsels/find secrets/get around certain enemies.

Unless he can simply make the running jump onto the tiki trap from the block on the left, which he says he can't due to the distance.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 01:02:53 PM by Xbob42 » Logged
Xbob42
Seedling

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »

Heya!  This was answered on the Steam forums, so I'll repost the answer I got there in case anyone needs it here:

hullandy  [developer] 9 minutes ago     
This is a known issue with the tiki traps. When they get placed randomly they can sometime create impassable terrain, by either making a high wall (as in your screen) or just blocking a passage completely. I'll look into this for a future update, but it isn't super obvious how to solve without changing how the tiki traps are generated.
Stray Cat
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 04:37:27 PM »

Sometimes this happens even with normal blocks.

I found this in the City of Gold last night:
http://imgur.com/cncjXfs

I actually seem to remember this kind of thing happening the last time I visited the level. Perhaps this is intended generation behaviour in the CoG? Still, it seems like it shouldn't happen.
qqqbbb
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 03:23:02 AM »

Level generation can be cruel...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28753474/Spelunky%20exit%20blocked.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28753474/Spelunky%20shop%20blocked.jpg
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 06:12:04 AM »

The second one is a known bug...
But the first one seems strange... since there should always be a path from the entrance to the exit. This is how a level is generated, 'a path is generated from the start to the exit'.

Crowley
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 10:24:20 PM »

I recently had a similar thing happen with an explosive crate in the mines. The exit is off screen to the right, and this was the only game-created path to it.

pigmyninja
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 05:42:37 AM »

I recently had a similar thing happen with an explosive crate in the mines. The exit is off screen to the right, and this was the only game-created path to it.

Well with that you could have detonated the keg.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 06:14:17 AM »

With nothing?
If you blow it by whipping (you can blow it by whipping, right?), well... you'd blow yourself too.

pigmyninja
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 06:24:57 AM »

With nothing?
If you blow it by whipping (you can blow it by whipping, right?), well... you'd blow yourself too.

Well i'm sure there were rocks earlier in the level they could have brought with them.

That situation is impossible without ropes or bombs when they fell in that pit though.

EDIT: I'm not too familiar with the powder kegs but couldn't the bat set it off?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:58:11 AM by pigmyninja » Logged
Brof. Yarott
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 06:46:04 AM »

The level generator is notorious for making you start some Mine levels with an Arrow Trap blocking the way, and leaving you with no stones, pots, skulls or mice to throw at it. Nope, only with nothing but the bombs and ropes that you may have saved.

Spelunky HD for XBLA/PSN/PC needs by "Official" means the following:

* A Level Editor!
* An "Endless" Mode!
* The "Classic" Music Tracks!
* The "Walrus Lady" for good measure!
* Playable Characters: The Damsel(s), The Tunnel Man (w/ Mattock) & The Shopkeeper
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: