Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Seed of Spelunky v1.0  (Read 16423 times)
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« on: August 09, 2013, 02:18:22 PM »

Seed of Spelunky

This mod adds manual seed entry for Spelunky world generation. You know how this works from playing Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft. The selected seed will generate the same world every time. This allows you to play the same world repeatedly, or other players can recreate the same world by sharing the seed.

Download:
Seed of Spelunky v1.0 (zip)

Installation:
Copy the exe file to your existing Spelunky Classic install folder and run.

Random seed mode:
This is the mode the game will start in the first time you play. The game will use a random seed each time you enter the start or shortcut doors. It's just like vanilla Spelunky but you are able to see the world seed on the pause screen. Write it down if you want to revisit or share the current world. You can also press CTRL+C while paused to copy the current seed to the clipboard. The previous world seed will still be displayed on the pause screen in the high scores and title rooms after you die in case you missed it. Random seed mode is active when you see a swirling image on computer terminal in the title room.

Custom seed mode:
Input a custom seed by accessing the computer terminal in the title room by pressing 'up' while standing in front of it. The seed can be up to 32 characters long. The following characters (and spaces) are allowed:
Code:
!"$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[]^_`
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~
After pressing Enter to save your custom seed you'll see a blinking 'pause' symbol on the computer terminal indicating you are in custom seed mode. The seed will continue to be used repeatedly each game until you change it or return to random seed mode by leaving the seed blank. Custom seeds are saved between gameplay sessions (seed.cfg in game folder). While using the computer terminal you can press CTRL+C to copy the currently typed seed and CTRL+V to paste text from the clipboard.

Other features:
- A screenshot of the win screen will automatically be saved to the game folder that includes your player name and the world seed. The idea is to make sharing of your score easy with a legit screenshot if you are having some sort of online community challenge with a specific seed.
- Currently you can change your player name by pressing the 'pay' button on the title screen, or editing it manually (the second line of seed.cfg).

Future plans:
- Challenge room. By using dates as the base for seeds (hidden from player), daily/weekly/monthly challenges can be created.

Source
Seed of Spelunky (.gmk)

Try this seed that sets you off on a good start on level 1:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:50:05 PM by Moloch » Logged

Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 02:19:41 PM »

List of interesting seeds:

- Seeds are case sensitive.
- To avoid typos, select and copy from the thread and use CTRL+V to paste into the computer terminal in-game.

Code:
ZOMBIE
Good start for a telefragger. Teleporter in crate near exit to level 1, bomb shop in level 2, level 3 includes a clothing shop (spike shoes, spring shoes, spectacles, mitt), a gold idol (shop is safe from boulder) and the Udjat Eye (chest is in alcove under exit - need a bomb).

Here is a list of seeds I discovered.
"minecraft": jetpack, mattock, climbing gloves and a webgun in shop on level 2 and a teleporter in a crate on the next level;
"minecrafts": pitcher's mitt, spring shoes, cape and spectacles in shop on level 2;
"seedofspelunky": spikes shoes, compass and snake pit on level 1;
" ": jetpack and bombbox in shop on level 3;
"2013-08-23": Shotgun in crate on level 1 and lots of bombs in shops on next two floors.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 08:43:32 PM by Moloch » Logged

Sarge
Bean

Shotgun rain

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »

Just like minecraft seeds. Smiley
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 12:23:49 AM »

The sad news is, after playing Spelunky HD, I doubt I will ever play Classic again.

Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 02:49:47 AM »

'Bout time someone made this. Tongue

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 10:00:01 AM »

Neat. So this would let people organize an unofficial version of the daily challenge for Spelunky Classic.
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 02:23:52 PM »

Useful for an online multiplayer mod.

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
joey4track
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 08:36:25 PM »

The sad news is, after playing Spelunky HD, I doubt I will ever play Classic again.

I have to say, after finally playing HD I probably have about 15 hours logged, I went back to classic just for fun and it actually made me love both versions even more. I have a deeper love for classic now and when I went back to HD I was a lot better at it. Doing a few runs in classic before switching to HD has actually made me a better player I think.

And by the way, this mod is fantastic!! All the more reason to play classic!!!
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 06:34:20 AM »

I have to say, after finally playing HD I probably have about 15 hours logged, I went back to classic just for fun and it actually made me love both versions even more. I have a deeper love for classic now and when I went back to HD I was a lot better at it. Doing a few runs in classic before switching to HD has actually made me a better player I think.
I have been playing Classic for a quite a time.
It feels a little stale after playing the HD version.

joey4track
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 10:23:23 AM »

Haha, after playing the new updated YASM last night night I kept on saying 'one more run and then I'll play HD' but then I just ended up playing Classic all night Tongue

I think having in inventory makes it more fun to me, plus I am better at Classic. For now anyway. I really hope at some point we can get some gameplay mods for HD.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 11:48:20 AM »

Haha, after playing the new updated YASM last night night I kept on saying 'one more run and then I'll play HD' but then I just ended up playing Classic all night Tongue

I think having in inventory makes it more fun to me, plus I am better at Classic. For now anyway. I really hope at some point we can get some gameplay mods for HD.
Actually, I've already played the latest version of the YASM mod earlier, so I'm not so much into the Classic mods now. The Classic version is not that bad, but still, it much more enjoying to play a game that you've waiting for a long time.

If there was YASM or TLS in Spelunky HD, I would've definitely tried it, because I <3 MODS AS MUCH AS YOU!

joey4track
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »

Yeah, I've actually been bouncing back and forth between Classic and HD. It's making me a much better all around Spelunky player.

On topic: I have tried so many seeds now and I still haven't found one worth posting but I'm determined to find one with a jetpack or some other goodies on level 1!
Zombie_Mantrap
Bulb

Saaalaaaad...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 01:11:32 PM »

When I saw the name for this I immediately assumed something else...

Behold my ms. Paint skills.
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 04:48:55 PM »

On topic: I have tried so many seeds now and I still haven't found one worth posting but I'm determined to find one with a jetpack or some other goodies on level 1!

Yeah I was hoping for an amazing level 1 seed while testing, but no luck. If you find anything interesting I'll add it to the second post.

Ha ha!. I was originally calling it 'Spelunky Seeds' (blah) but then I remembered there was some horror movie called 'Seed of'...something!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387575/

Useful for an online multiplayer mod.

I never thought of that but it would be a good head start. It's definitely not something I would try myself, based on how past attempts turned out.
Sort of off-topic, but I was thinking about another approach to multiplayer - instead of of adding oPlayer2 (either as a new object or as a child of oPlayer1) - would there be some way to handle all the oPlayer1 events in a similar way to how Magic Signs works with oMsgSign? Incoming events for each oPlayer1 (host or client(s)) would be intercepted by a script first and then applied to the intended player (based on position, instance id or whatever). That's about as far as my idea goes. Tongue

Zombie_Mantrap
Bulb

Saaalaaaad...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »

Ha ha!. I was originally calling it 'Spelunky Seeds' (blah) but then I remembered there was some horror movie called 'Seed of'...something!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387575/

Great minds think alike. :33
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: