Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get a top 10 score?  (Read 4128 times)
Hired Hans
Bulb

View Profile Email
« on: August 01, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »

Anyone here succeeded in making the top of the leaderboards, or know someone who did, or seen any videos of people doing it? Just want to get a discussion going here about how to get a top score just in case any of us are missing something.

The best i did was 32 about 3 or 4 months ago but that's now slipped down to 42. We all know about ghost running and what weapons and items to get. But the problem i have is most top 10 did it via 5-4, where as i feel like there's more money going to 4-4 with the plasma cannon.

So what are these top players doing? How do they make the most of the gold room? Are they getting the plasma cannon in via hired hands, or just getting a lot of bombs and placing them well? Finally are there any extra rooms worth visiting? The worm or haunted castle?

Please post tips, ideas and videos here.
Bonebreaker005
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 05:01:29 PM »

I was once upon a time in the top 8, shows how much the scores have changed, those HUGE scores do use the plasma cannon yes but more so around from my understanding having a "hired hand" (slave guy) carry the septa for you while you carry the plasma rifle so you can go to the city of gold AND have the plasma. Also i believe you need to get the plasma rifle on like 1-1 or 1-2 in a crate which I've read is possible but i my self have NEVER found one in a crate before.
Buddy7heElf
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:19:39 PM »

I'm in 2nd and I've never gotten the plasma cannon past 4-1. Kenneth did; that's why his score is so ridiculous.

Anyway, to get top 10 you have to basically get the jetpack, mattock or lots of bombs, and the key and chest (or sunglasses) by 1-2 (1-3 at least). Then you have to get nearly every gem into a diamond and continually get lucky with mattocks or bombs.

Need a lot of luck and a lot of time.
Hired Hans
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 03:43:20 AM »

Wow, so great to hear from a top 10 player. Number 2, wow. Must be so proud.

Ok so what you're saying is mattock early on, ghost run every gem early on, get the plasma cannon and get everything on 4-1, but you didnt need to get it into the gold room? Interesting.

So it sounds like maybe even the top 50 or 100 players probably have the skill (maybe not the patience necesarily) to get a top 10 score - but we just need some luck (and when it comes, to have a flawless go).

Would you say going the Hell route with 1 life is definitely better in terms of money than taking 2 lives and using the plasma cannon to destroy everything on 4-2 and 4-3? i've generally made the decision based on how many bombs i have at the Maoui head. If a lot, i'll use them on the gold room. otherwise, option B.

Finally... is there any really efficient way of using bombs in the gold room? do you do any ghost running in hell or just try to get out of there alive?

Thanks
Buddy7heElf
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 07:38:29 AM »

I would think you have to go through hell to get into the top 10. You get an extra 100,000 for beating hell, whereas the extra from ending on 4-4 doesn't get added to your leaderboard score. Also, King Yama's tower of red gems is a ton of money. You can't ignore that.

I pretty much use every last bomb I have in the city of gold and hope for good crates above Olmec's lair. I use my bombs on the gems first then the largest area of gold. I was lucky in my 2.15 mil run because I got a mattock in a crate above Olmec. That gave me an opportunity to ghost run in hell. Usually I don't have the bombs to ghost run there, but if possible you can't ignore the gems in there.

Now I'm just trying to figure out a way to hold onto the helping hands character to get the plasma cannon into the city of gold. That's the only hope of getting close to Kenneth, but it seems out of reach.

One more thing: if you get a water level in the jungle, you can make a lot of extra money killing all the fish down there (you get a gold skull from the big fish), and sometimes there is a chest at the bottom similar to the chests the shopkeeper's protect.
Hired Hans
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »

Ahh! Good call Sir. The Giant Piranha... the one creature in the game i somewhat fear. Well not just him but his army of smaller piranhas. So at what point do you usually piss off the shopkeepers? By then i've often angered him and have 1 or 2 keepers going mental in the water and then it really doesn't feel tempting to go down there.

I'm glad to see my own conclusion of helping hands into the gold room seems to be correct - though near impossible.

Another question - do you personally restart after a certain point when you haven't got the kind of items you need for a record go? Perhaps i'm wasting time by playing through bad runs. And do you know if it's possible to keep the hired hand at the point where you sacrifice yourself on the ice levels? I wonder if he'll follow you to your death, or if he somehow could appear in the head with you or just comes with you to the next level anyway? if thats the case, you get a guaranteed hired hand on the haunted castle.

Otherwise, is there anyway to get the hired hand to survive the black market? I frequently see them on there but they die 95% of the time in the gunfight that ensues. Perhaps he could be bought.

One more thing. I just realised... what if you got a hired hand on the haunted castle and then gave him the shield to carry. It would largely keep him safe while also preventing him from accidentally killing you (provided you stay away from walls). Bit risky. Thanks for the tips.
Buddy7heElf
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »

I piss off the shopkeepers immediately. If I don't get the jetpack and mattock in level 1-2 I usually start over right there, unless I get a lot of bombs. I hope to have the udjet eye by then or the sunglasses, but I'll check 1-3 sometimes to get it. If it's not there, I start over. If I have at least 330,000 after the mines, I'm satisfied. 300,000 is okay too. This is of course going for super high scores. My best is 481,000 in the mines (it was unusually high), but I got careless in the jungle and blew it.

The water level is tricky. I try and time it perfectly to get a bomb on the shopkeeper from above when he's jumping around in the water. Otherwise, after he's killed most of the fish, you can get bodies and try to hit him with cavemen/tiki men and knock the shotgun out of his hands and just go to one side and blindly shoot through the water until he and everything is dead. You have to be careful with the big piranha though.

The helping hands characters are absurdly difficult. I've gotten him once from the black market, but in the end it failed. Your best bet is to get extremely lucky and get him at 4-1 where he somehow stays alive. If you have him before you kill yourself in the ice cave, I'm sure he comes with you after you enter the door. And, I never go to the haunted castle. I don't see how unless you've already gone through the black market and you get the haunted castle after.

It's a tedious process, but to really get a super high score you'll have to restart a million times on level 1-2. Sometimes you'll just be wasting time being unlucky, other times you'll get shops with the jetpack, mattock, and bomb box, with the key and chest on level 1-2. From there, you gotta be really good and extremely lucky. You can have a perfect run and the levels may not allow you to reach 2 mil. Good luck.

somevcs92
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 04:15:11 AM »

you dont simply GET ON the spelunky leaderboard Shocked... there is ONLY ONE WAY Cool!!
pray to kali!! And keep playing!! Grin
Hired Hans
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 11:30:16 PM »

lol agreed somevcs92

Buddy7heelf - Thanks so much for the advice. It worked perfectly!

Infact, I think you may have got #1st place if you had the opportunity I had.  The end was disappointing, but I atleast got back into the top 30. This is how good my luck was:

1-2: 39 bombs in the shop. (i was going for a 0 gold run but couldnt say no to that)
1-3: jetpack and mattock!
1-4: more bombs - finished with 280,000

2-1: water level: finished the level with 528,000! (almost doubled my score)
2-2: keeper guarding jewels ghost runned plus black market - more bombs
2-4: ANOTHER water level. Piranha boss killed me - but had the ankh so carried on.

3-2: finished the level with 935,000
Mothership: finished with 1084000 - almost beat my old record.

4-1 cleared the level - but killed myself trying to get a piece of gold at the top of the level with the plasma cannon. Foolish. Finished with 1280000 or something, about 340k off a top 10 place. Easily doable with 2 temple levels plus final boss and a plasma cannon. So back up to 27th (gamertag: Mr Peeje) but i have a feeling Buddy you'd have got that #1 spot you so desperately crave with a run like that.

Thanks again. There's all kinds of treasure under the water!
Buddy7heElf
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 07:41:28 AM »

That's great, Hired Hans. I wouldn't have gotten top score though. Only way to have a chance is with the helping hands characters.

Seems like you made a ton of money on the water level without the treasure room. That's crazy. Keep working at it and you'll get top 10.
Hired Hans
Bulb

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2013, 12:58:46 PM »

Thanks man. I think the water level i got 250k on did have a treasure room (if you mean the shopkeepers guarding chests). But yeah i see what you mean, no hired hand, no first place.

Btw quick question, just in case it ever comes up - how would it work if you found a hired hand on 4-1? Would you trust the plasma cannon with him or the sceptre?  Either one would be deadly if he decided to fire it, especially the sceptre. So you'd have to make sure there's no enemies. Then how do you get weapons off him? I'd be terrified he might fire either weapon immediately upon entering 4-2.

Also i wonder what the odds are of getting a hired hand on 4-1? They're quite a common thing, just not usually in the temple. It's got to happen sometime.
Buddy7heElf
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2013, 04:06:15 PM »

I'd carry the scepter just in case he dropped the other item at the last second for a reason. I've had him on 4-1 a few times but he's always dead before I have a chance. If you ever get lucky enough, hold onto him throughout the level until you find a safe place for him. Also, the ghost will go after him and kill him. I think it would be incredibly difficult keeping him alive and using the plasma cannon to get the gold--but that's what it'll take.

I just had a great run going but I wasn't lucky enough to get a helper on a late ice level or 4-1. I only had 2 bombs for the city of gold Sad
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: