Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request: Make Spelunky Plasma HDTV-Friendly (money scroll burns in)  (Read 4263 times)
Bent 00
Seedling

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2013, 03:28:07 PM »

I would like to ask the developer(s) of Spelunky XBLA to consider making the persistent displays in the game - especially the money scroll - Plasma HDTV-friendly. This could be done by having such displays somewhat transparent, slightly fade in and out, or change color.

I bought Spelunky for XBLA a few days ago, and I spent several hours playing it. It's amazing, but I found that the money scroll display has burned into my screen. None of the other games I've played caused any lasting image retention. I've played other games for at least 10 hours now after discovering the problem, but the money scroll from Spelunky is still burned in. My HDTV is a new Panasonic 42" purchased less than a month ago, so it isn't susceptible to burn-in because of its age.

Spelunky is a game best played in long sessions, in my opinion. Unfortunately, I think I'd better not play it on my plasma HDTV until the burn-in issue is fixed...

Has anyone else had this problem?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:30:37 PM by Bent 00 » Logged
feared
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 01:04:03 PM »

I would like to ask the developer(s) of Spelunky XBLA to consider making the persistent displays in the game - especially the money scroll - Plasma HDTV-friendly. This could be done by having such displays somewhat transparent, slightly fade in and out, or change color.

I bought Spelunky for XBLA a few days ago, and I spent several hours playing it. It's amazing, but I found that the money scroll display has burned into my screen. None of the other games I've played caused any lasting image retention. I've played other games for at least 10 hours now after discovering the problem, but the money scroll from Spelunky is still burned in. My HDTV is a new Panasonic 42" purchased less than a month ago, so it isn't susceptible to burn-in because of its age.

Spelunky is a game best played in long sessions, in my opinion. Unfortunately, I think I'd better not play it on my plasma HDTV until the burn-in issue is fixed...

Has anyone else had this problem?

I can imagine that's a problem if you play for too long.  I have a 50" phillips plasma that I don't use to play games on.  It's at least 6 years old now but I'm not about to test your theory out.   Grin

The money scroll is extremely annoying because it isn't opaque.  It should be 50-75% opaque so it can be seen THROUGH when playing.  Or at least give an option to do so.  What is most puzzling is this was actually added later on!  Check out this screenshot below:

Dr Hairy Dwarf
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:26:23 PM »

Yep, same here on my panny plasma, shame too as I now consider spelunky the greatest game ever.

But I just can't stand to see that $ and heart symbol for days after playing.
It does fade eventually but seem to take longer each time.

Easiest fix might just be a simple toggle on/off in game with a set button, but would love to see a option for minimized/transparent/fading.

I read that game updates on XBLA are free to do now so maybe this problem can get addressed after the completion of the PC and Vita etc versions.
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 12:27:23 AM »

Why not try the PC version, now that it's released?

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:58:53 AM »

Why not try the PC version, now that it's released?
...And buy the game again?

joey4track
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »

I HATE the money scroll. The worst thing about this game. It has ended too many great runs for me. PLEASE someone make a mod to change it!!
Bent 00
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 07:45:58 PM »

*bump*
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 02:03:10 AM »

*bump*

Why bump this thread? Huh?

Meet Bodyless!

Join Dropbox!

Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 03:05:30 AM »

*bump*
Instead of bumping, why not make a thread about it in the Spelunky Support board?
The developers will usually see this board for bug fixes and issues like money scroll.

NalaNosivad
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 03:25:38 PM »

Edit: Herpa derp derp, can't read.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:26:08 AM by NalaNosivad » Logged

Stupid banners in the top-left corner of the screen annoying you in the new Spelunky? Using a PS3 controller via 360ce or MotionInJoy?

Grab my light UI/PS3 controller mod!
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 01:20:29 AM »

Well, I guess the "mod" I threw together might just serve as a solution for now, at least.

Go look at it here, and see if it takes your fancy here.
The problem is, they are playing the Xbox version.

NalaNosivad
Bulb

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 11:25:16 AM »

...Don't mind me here. I'm invisible. I did not post anything in this thread, nor did I derp at all!

Nope.

Not me.

Stupid banners in the top-left corner of the screen annoying you in the new Spelunky? Using a PS3 controller via 360ce or MotionInJoy?

Grab my light UI/PS3 controller mod!
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 06:33:13 AM »

...Don't mind me here. I'm invisible. I did not post anything in this thread, nor did I derp at all!

Nope.

Not me.
You can't escape so easily!!! *throws lasso*
I had quoted your post in my last post.
So, editing it won't work.  Tongue
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 06:43:01 AM by Blaze06h » Logged

KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 10:11:07 AM »

Edit: Herpa derp derp, can't read.

You DO know that it's possible to delete your own posts?

Meet Bodyless!

Join Dropbox!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: