Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Terraria is coming to mobile.  (Read 10309 times)
Damsel
Mosskid

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2013, 11:53:54 AM »

Terraria has already announced a PC update to 1.2 with lots of new weapons and "design" features, which is coming in late July.

Now they are pulling a Minecraft, and moving to mobile. A third party, 505 Games (with actual dev. being done by Codeglue), is transferring the game for smartphones and tablets. I, for one, am not happy. If Minecraft taught us anything, it is that moving to console, and even worse, mobile  will bring an onslaught of very casual gamers and make people who really enjoy it feel self-conscious. 

Don't get me wrong, I want everyone to enjoy Terraria, but I do not think that going mobile is the right way to do it. Especially because of this quotation in the official announcement.

Quote from: Press Release
Terraria for mobile platforms will support leader boards, achievements and Facebook integration so you can share screenshots of your adventures and creations.

Find out more about it here.

Spambots sure like medicine.
"Claritin Secret Friends"
"Motrin To Puppies"
hyperme
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 12:32:55 PM »

Oh no, not casual gamers! What ever will we do?

On the other hand, Facebook integration is a transcendentally terrible idea.

Also late July can't anyone keep a schedule?
Damsel
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 01:38:55 PM »

Not casual gamers exactly, but, you know, the kids at school that come up to you and ask you if you have played that new game Minecraft and spend their time looking up pictures of diamond swords on google images.

I guess I can't do a very good job of explaining it, but I didn't mean that I didn't want "casual" gamers to play, just not the people who think apps are a great video game platform.

Spambots sure like medicine.
"Claritin Secret Friends"
"Motrin To Puppies"
Wonkyth
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 03:46:51 PM »

Since today marks the day when I finally get a mobile capable of doing more than, well, telephone, I'm totally fine with that. Tongue
It's not as if I could play Terraria on my current PC! xD

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 06:40:43 AM »

Heh, I just got a smartphone last month too. But the games on there are crap, with the exception of things designed for that platform (i.e. casual games) like Angry Birds or something. I got a Windows phone so all the Droid/iApp stuff won't work on there, but I can't imagine most games translate well.

To me this just seems like another face of the lack of creativity, rather than design a new game, let's just rehash an old one. Add achievements, let people play with their avatar, link it to FB, tweet achievements, make it HD, etc. Bringing a game to consoles is one thing, although today everybody has a computer, but I wouldn't play Skyrim on my phone, it's not what it's for.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 03:39:55 PM »

Super Meat boy was being developed for IOS. They scrapped the project. I hope they didnt scap mewgenics!

Calcius
Shoot

-cough-

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 08:23:09 PM »

Not casual gamers exactly, but, you know, the kids at school that come up to you and ask you if you have played that new game Minecraft and spend their time looking up pictures of diamond swords on google images.

I guess I can't do a very good job of explaining it, but I didn't mean that I didn't want "casual" gamers to play, just not the people who think apps are a great video game platform.

I hate those kinds of people, therefore this topic is the most correct topic on the forum. mostly the angry face part.
Skoke
Mossy

Ballin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 07:12:09 PM »

Indie gamers are the hipsters of video games.

"I used to play minecraft, then it went mainstream"

TBH I dont play minecraft because so many people wont shut up about it, and I dont want to talk to them about minecraft
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 01:49:39 AM »

TBH I dont play minecraft because so many people wont shut up about it, and I dont want to talk to them about minecraft
Atleast someone thinks the same as me.

Ronnys
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 02:52:34 PM »

Atleast someone thinks the same as me.
CaSoDaN
Bean

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 08:42:36 PM »

I simply don't play Minecraft cuz it's a bad game.
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 01:41:54 AM »

Why do you think it's bad?

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 07:45:18 AM »

Why do you think it's bad?
  • It's terribly slow making it almost unplayable on laptops with integrated graphics card(like mine) because it's made in Java. They have already made enough money, why don't they re-create the game on a better engine?
  • We have to always see videos and read tutorials because it doesn't teach us how to do a damn thing. Is putting a tutorial that hard?
  • The crafting/brewing system is shit, seriously, how the hell will I know this I have to do this to form this. The Xbox version's crafting table is much better, how hard is it make it on the PC version?
  • Installing a mod is not worth the the trouble it does. Also, it makes the game even slower.
  • The graphics are dull, the pixelated graphics hurts the eyes after playing sometime.
    The gameplay is boring. The game is only good when you're playing with your friends.
  • We have to know how and what to do from the begining of the game to play it, otherwise we will not even survive the first day. The lack of tutorial makes it even worse.

Wonkyth
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 07:49:40 AM »

...Lack of tutorial?
I'm sorry?

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 08:00:01 AM »

It's a sandbox game.

What do you expect its crafting to be like this and the fact that this game doesn't have tutorials?

Besides, tutorials DO exist, just not a game feature.

What's so wrong about Java, anyway? It's just a programming language.

If it's incompatible with your laptop, then your laptop's old, and one DOES know that PC gaming is an expensive hobby.

Beside, I think the game uses OpenGL as its renderer, not a software one.

The graphics style is a matter of taste, of course, so I don't blame you there.

Also, do you know that there's a mode where you can't die (called "creative"), and a difficulty setting on the mode that you can ("survival") that makes you regenerate HP almost instantly, negates hunger and makes hostile mobs not spawn ("Peaceful")?

Anyway, I know of a "software rasteriser" (ie, a graphics card emulator for PC's that run on the CPU) that may or may not make it easier to run that game: http://www.mesa3d.org/llvmpipe.html

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: