Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky Natural [NSFW]  (Read 82704 times)
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2013, 09:38:35 AM »

Whew! New version! Aside from the fairly boring issue explained above, it matches the edges better on user levels that use custom borders. For instance if you use the Temple level mod, temple tiles will connect to the border seamlessly. It also has an improved area fill (ctrl+drag) feature, combining the selection box from TLS with an all new formula that follows the mouse better.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 09:58:25 AM by Urza » Logged
Calcius
Shoot

-cough-

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2013, 10:03:24 PM »

Been playing your mod a bit, and some of the aspects can make for some fun user levels ^_^. I have already made one with the intent of making it a little 4 level story. Great mod Cheesy. Glad you didn't overdue the naked part Tongue.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2013, 11:04:26 PM »

Been playing your mod a bit, and some of the aspects can make for some fun user levels ^_^. I have already made one with the intent of making it a little 4 level story. Great mod Cheesy. Glad you didn't overdue the naked part Tongue.
Thanks. I'm almost tempted to take out the nudity, but I figure if that really put anyone off playing—even though I gave directions to completely disable the nudity—meh, it's their loss.

Anyway, Update! Spelunky Natural can now open UTF-8 levels (like those created by recent versions of Ed+) as well as traditional ASCII levels. I've not tested this extensively yet, so if anyone notices any glitches, let me know. For that matter if you notice any other bugs, don't be afraid to speak up. I can't fix 'em if I don't know they exist.
halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2013, 04:18:00 AM »

I'm almost tempted to take out the nudity, but I figure if that really put anyone off playing—even though I gave directions to completely disable the nudity—meh, it's their loss.
You could just give her underwear.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2013, 08:20:00 AM »

Anyway, Update! Spelunky Natural can now open UTF-8 levels (like those created by recent versions of Ed+) as well as traditional ASCII levels. I've not tested this extensively yet, so if anyone notices any glitches, let me know. For that matter if you notice any other bugs, don't be afraid to speak up. I can't fix 'em if I don't know they exist.

This is great...It would really help me to see how you did the ASCII/UTF-8 compatibility, and if there was something clever you did to get vending machines working. I tested a few levels and it was fine.

Bugs
- when you use a level border mod with the matching block type (ice cave border with oDark..etc) the bottom edge of the blocks do get set the the proper sprite when their is nothing under them, but they look right without the border mod.
- left click+drag doesn't fill

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2013, 09:48:50 AM »

This is great...It would really help me to see how you did the ASCII/UTF-8 compatibility, and if there was something clever you did to get vending machines working. I tested a few levels and it was fine.
It's very simple, maybe too simple. When loading each layer, it checks if the lines are longer than the 40 characters they should be.
    for (j = 0; j < 32; j += 1)
    {
        str = file_text_read_string(file);
        if (string_length(str) > 40) str = scrUnUnicode(str); //Spelunky Natural
        for (i = 0; i < 40; i += 1)
        {
            levelArray[i, j] = string_char_at(str, i+1);
//scrCreateTileObj(levelArray[i, j], 16+i*16, 16+j*16);
        }
        file_text_readln(file);
    }

If so, it passes them through this script, which simply does a series of text replacements from UTF-8 gobbledygook to ASCII characters. It's very naive, but it seems to work.

As for the vending machines... I have no idea. Remember I did an automatic merge on this. It's true they were initially broken for me too, but I think this had to do with some changes I make to how "cost" for items is handled, so probably not the same as the trouble you've had.

By the way, I do plan to post the full source code once I get this in a little better shape (such as cleaning up the mess I made of costs, for instance).

Bugs
- when you use a level border mod with the matching block type (ice cave border with oDark..etc) the bottom edge of the blocks do get set the the proper sprite when their is nothing under them, but they look right without the border mod.
I'm not totally sure I understand. I just fixed a bug related to the frozen zone messing up borders. Please download again and see if that took care of it. If not, could you please post a screenshot?

- left click+drag doesn't fill
Are you holding ctrl?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:51:21 AM by Urza » Logged
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

This text is not random :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »

It's very simple, maybe too simple. When loading each layer, it checks if the lines are longer than the 40 characters they should be.
Hah, that's really clever!

Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2013, 11:28:58 AM »

<Unicode stuff>
Thanks!

As for the vending machines... I have no idea. Remember I did an automatic merge on this. It's true they were initially broken for me too, but I think this had to do with some changes I make to how "cost" for items is handled, so probably not the same as the trouble you've had.

I did manually copy the vending machine stuff, but what you said helps, as my problem is that most items with the vending machines aren't even for sale - you can just steal them, but for unknown reason, a few items work properly (jar for sale!). There could be something I missed somewhere related to the cost.

I'm not totally sure I understand. I just fixed a bug related to the frozen zone messing up borders. Please download again and see if that took care of it. If not, could you please post a screenshot?

I may have accidentaly a word. When I use a custom border, blocks without another of the same block under them aren't using the proper sprite. I'll get a screenshot.

No border mod. Looks good.

With border mod, 'undecorated' bottom edge of blocks:

Are you holding ctrl?

Yes - the selection box was visible too! But now it's working, so.. that was weird. Tongue

Calcius
Shoot

-cough-

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2013, 04:14:35 PM »

Anyone mind explaining how to make the "No (insert item here)s allowed!" work? I'm attempting to make a map and I don't want to mess with it for 40 days when there is a simple answer somewhere Tongue.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 08:47:14 PM by Calcius » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2013, 05:36:56 PM »

<Unicode stuff>
Thanks!

I did manually copy the vending machine stuff, but what you said helps, as my problem is that most items with the vending machines aren't even for sale - you can just steal them, but for unknown reason, a few items work properly (jar for sale!). There could be something I missed somewhere related to the cost.
That does actually sound pretty similar to what I had. My "fix" for this and some related cost problems involved adding a new variable "MSRP" that always contains the base value of an item, whether it's for sale or not. I haven't decided if that was a good idea yet though. Tongue

I may have accidentaly a word. When I use a custom border, blocks without another of the same block under them aren't using the proper sprite. I'll get a screenshot.

No border mod. Looks good.
[PIC]

With border mod, 'undecorated' bottom edge of blocks:
[PIC]
Dang, sure is. I'll have to mess with it more.

Are you holding ctrl?

Yes - the selection box was visible too! But now it's working, so.. that was weird. Tongue
Well that's good... kinda. Knowing what happened would be better, but oh well.

Anyone mind explaining how to make the "No (insert item here)'s allowed!" work? I'm attempting to make a map and I don't want to mess with it for 40 days when there is a simple answer somewhere Tongue.
Are you referring to the "no keys allowed" thing on the tutorial? Oh boy, umm. It uses four different magic signs, so your best bet is to copy what that level exactly. It's like this:
XXX
X1X
XXX
XXX

X = Wall
1 = ?oBlock?depth=99&(D)E?depth=99
2 = ?oDoor?i.=1?status=2
3 = %A=oDoor,V=y,N=113,T=oKey,D=96,O=<AR%?*a%K?status=1
4 = %A=oDoor,T=oBlock,D=14,V=status,N=2,O=FAR%?*a%K?y-=1

Just change oKey to whatever you want and it should still work. The number right after that should be the range it detects the key at. But you probably just want to get it working, then you can try tweaking it if you want.
Calcius
Shoot

-cough-

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2013, 06:00:59 PM »

....Just change oKey to whatever you want and it should still work. The number right after that should be the range it detects the key at. But you probably just want to get it working, then you can try tweaking it if you want.

Ohkay, thanks! Cheesy. Also, dunno if this is intentional, but it seems there is no way to obtain mod  items on the level editor. (As you are editing though, sacrificing for all of the fun stuff still works Tongue).

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2013, 06:13:26 PM »

It's because there are almost no symbols left to represent things in the level files. You can place them with magic signs, if you know/can guess the name. As we discussed a little ways back I might try and come up with a system where it lets you place things like normal, even though it really uses magic signs behind the scenes. I'll at least put together list of objects eventually (perhaps leaving out just a few "secret" ones).
Calcius
Shoot

-cough-

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »

... I'll at least put together list of objects eventually (perhaps leaving out just a few "secret" ones).

Cool Tongue. If I may suggest a something for the mod, You should also add an option where she has underwear, in case somebody still wants the buffs/debuffs but doesn't like seeing pixelated parts. Also, if the damsel can't carry anything...Shouldn't diggy dig man and spelunker have at least one pocket sense they knew where they were going? Just a suggestion. Btw, did you add your name to the list of shopkeepers? xD

EDIT: I would get it if you were to dislike the idea of spelunker having another slot, and disliking tunnel man having one because he is overpowered already though Tongue.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 07:06:24 PM by Calcius » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2013, 09:17:48 PM »

Cool Tongue. If I may suggest a something for the mod, You should also add an option where she has underwear, in case somebody still wants the buffs/debuffs but doesn't like seeing pixelated parts. Also, if the damsel can't carry anything...Shouldn't diggy dig man and spelunker have at least one pocket sense they knew where they were going? Just a suggestion. Btw, did you add your name to the list of shopkeepers? xD

EDIT: I would get it if you were to dislike the idea of spelunker having another slot, and disliking tunnel man having one because he is overpowered already though Tongue.
halibabica just suggested Underwear too. I suppose it's worth considering at some point, but I'm more interested in editor stuff at the moment. Pockets... yeah no, for the reason you said. I thought about some sort of deal where you could start with an item—so that would be like starting with a backpack—maybe connected with a challenge or something, but I don't have an specifics yet. An yes, I slipped my name along with a few others, into the shoppy pool.

Aaaand, I think I finally fixed the borders. Of course it's at least the third time I thought this. But this time I also made them set the matching background while I was at it (mainly visible with the temple border).
chainsawplayin
Shoot

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2013, 01:40:34 AM »

as for me, it isn't very perverted. like man, a few pixels deleted. actually, when she's looking up, she looks like the TF2 engineer saying "NOPE!"  Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: