Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky Natural [NSFW]  (Read 33632 times)
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2014, 12:55:04 PM »

So I'm working on upgrading the pitcher's mitt to work more like HD, where thrown objects fly straight instead of arcing. For items it's working great, though I still need to add the code to items with non-inherited step events (e.g. jars and skulls).

But, for enemies I've hit a snag. I can't find the code that handles thrown enemies bouncing off walls. I've checked oEnemy as well as individual enemies like oCaveman and I can't find any code that appears to handle that. I suspect this might be handled by the platform engine, but it still has to be somewhere. Can anyone help me out?
halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2014, 01:20:56 PM »

I'd check around code sections where other heavy objects are thrown, ie the player's step event and related scripts. That's my guess, at least.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2014, 01:38:48 PM »

Searching Scripts for "scrCheckCollisions"
In object oCaveman, event Step, action 2 at line 195
In object oManTrap, event Step, action 2 at line 142
In object oYeti, event Step, action 2 at line 200
In object oHawkman, event Step, action 2 at line 212
In object oShopkeeper, event Step, action 2 at line 628
In object oVampire, event Step, action 2 at line 360
Smiley

EDIT: Line numbers will be off but yeah.

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »

Duh! I guess scrCheckCollisions didn't scream "this does bouncing" loud enough for me. Cheesy I suppose technically it ought to be named scrDoCollisions or something, but that's really no excuse. Anyway it still needs some fine tuning, but I'm on the right track now. So, thanks for that.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2014, 02:12:11 AM »

Update! Version 2.7 includes the upgraded Pitcher's Mitt. You still have to hold attack for a second to "wind up" and do the power throw, but after that it works like in HD. It's quite a bit more useful now.

Also new in this version, you sprites to shows whether a damsel you're carrying is alive or not. Plus male!damsel looks less silly when being carried.

Finally, a new option for the gymnophobic among you: Instead of using no nude (In natural.cfg), which prevents undressing completely, you can use the word censor to activate a pixelation effect, without losing any functionality. It's actually kinda funny, so feel free to try it out even if you're not afraid of nudity. This is basically my answer to the underwear suggestion that came up a couple of times. That would have been my first choice too, but when I sat down to do the art I soon realized that there just wasn't enough room to draw a bra and panties at that size.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2014, 03:12:07 AM »

Tweaked some stuff with the mitt, including oddly enough, fixing a bug I noticed in Spelunky HD, where power-throwing the ball and chain could leave it (and you) suspending in mid air. I tried to make the ball and chain generally be a little less weird, but I didn't get too far with that (you can for instance still break your fall by throwing it mid air). Also fixed dead damsels so they don't scream anymore... for like the fourth time.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2014, 10:57:54 PM »

I'm sure this has been said already but.

Are you fucking serious

The sheer absurdity that is the concept for this mod leaves me baffled and awestruck. I just hope this is 100% a joke and no one gets turned on by pixel titties.

Nudity can be fun/funny too, not just erotic you know. If anybody does get off on 2x2 pixel boobs (or that scandalous ledge-hanging pose), more power to 'em, but that's not quite the idea.

If you want the whole story, it went something like this. "Lots of games have a 'nude mod', wouldn't it be funny to make one for Spelunky?", I thought, and so I did. Watching her run around naked was amusing for maybe two or three minutes, but no more and it didn't seem worth publishing. But then I went back to a previous idea to differentiate the Damsel from the "Main Dude" and merged the two concepts.

So I came up with the idea that she can take off her dress to gain better acrobatic skills, but if she leaves it behind completely she suffers penalties. So it's kind of an anti-powerup, but (almost) necessary at the same time. I thought this was a kind of clever game mechanic and the rest is history...

...except once I got into the movement code to implement her acrobatic upgrade I couldn't help fixing a few control annoyances while I was at it. And then "Oh and while I'm in here wouldn't it be cool if... ...and since I've fixed machete hitbox I might as well see about that useless web gun... ...Hmm I need a new content vector for the super dress, maybe something with the altars... ...Oh hell, I'll just throw in every Spelunky idea I've ever had." I do want to emphasize that, there's tons of interesting new stuff in this even if you're far too mature to be entertained by pixelated nudity. The recent addition of a blur option was the first I've I touched the nudity related part of this mod in months.
Whooper1222
Mossy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2014, 07:54:04 AM »

Are you fucking serious
Looks like someone is a tad butthurt Wink
Yup, totally.

Bae
Mossy

Pro YoCo strats #AGDQ2014 #GYCL

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2014, 04:36:05 PM »

Alright, it's a lot more acceptable knowing it's a poke at nude mods, and a lot funnier knowing the snowballing depth that was added to it lol.

Maybe I'll try it out sometime just to see the extra stuff you added (but also I have way too many proper games to finish so that might not be for a while).

Carry on with your titties.

[0/18]complete

think about it. Zom-bees.
Natures Witness
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2014, 07:27:55 PM »

Hooray! My first post!
Oh, by the way I love this mod, it's got me back into playing Spelunky.  In particular the backpack and bomb/sticky bomb toggle is genius. 
One thing I was wondering, could we get some sort of indicator on the shotgun so we know when it's done reloading?  It's a little hard to use when I'm not sure if I can blast the bat two feet in front of my face, or if I need to dodge it instead.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2014, 08:05:24 PM »

Glad you've enjoyed it! On the shotgun, I only increased the firing cooldown by 50% so I didn't think it would be that big a deal, but I know what you mean. I don't want a big flashing RELOADING sign or anything, but I'll see if I can find a more subtle way to convey that information. Maybe I can find a sound or some kind of cue in how you hold the gun.
Natures Witness
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2014, 09:41:21 PM »

If it helps, I sorta pictured something similar to the jet pack fuel indicator, using the gun's inventory icon.  Maybe a little bullet symbol with a red X over it displayed over the gun icon on the stat bar.  A little "cha-chick" reloading sound when done would be a nice touch too, both informative and entertaining.  Would also be neat to have on the pistol as well, it's not a major issue but it would look and sound cool.
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2014, 08:57:49 AM »

You know, I kind forgot weapons had inventory icons too. That's probably the easiest.

For the sound, "cha-chick" is pretty much what I was thinking, the only thing is unless I go all-out and package a separate .wav file with the mod just for this, I'll have to fake it from the existing sounds.
Natures Witness
Seedling

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2014, 10:04:00 AM »

Hmmm, sounds in the game that could work for this.  Maybe the "blinking" sound from the udjat eye?  Or the "unlocking" sound for the golden chest?

EDIT - Just remembered one other thing.  It's a little nitpicky, but would it be possible to add a file for save data like in YASM and the community update project?  The registry save thing has ALWAYS bugged me, can't imagine why Derek did that.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:31:46 AM by Natures Witness » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2014, 04:31:33 PM »

Hmmm, sounds in the game that could work for this.  Maybe the "blinking" sound from the udjat eye?  Or the "unlocking" sound for the golden chest?
I was leaning towards the chest sound, yeah. Or sometimes two sounds played at once works well. Like for the broken teleporter, it plays the laser fire and bow pull sound effects over eachother. It thought it made a very nice "overloading capacitor" sort of noise.
EDIT - Just remembered one other thing.  It's a little nitpicky, but would it be possible to add a file for save data like in YASM and the community update project?  The registry save thing has ALWAYS bugged me, can't imagine why Derek did that.
Well, if those two mods did it... clearly it's possible. Tongue As for whether I'll actually do it, I donno. I agree with you that it would be better, but if it requires changing the code in dozens of places I may not have the patience. I'll look into it though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: