Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Spelunky Natural [NSFW]  (Read 10626 times)
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« on: June 14, 2013, 11:21:38 PM »

So in Spelunky Classic (as we're calling it now) there are three playable characters. The main dude, the Damsel, and Tunnel Man. Tunnel Man has a major difference, but the Damsel is disappointingly identical to the Main Dude.

To rectify this, I have given her the ability to take her clothes off.

If that sounds great to you, Download Now!

If that sounds "meh" to you, read on.

If that sounds terrible to you, click here.

In case you're wondering, taking off her clothes does have an actual purpose. Consider: She normally gets around just as good as the other two characters despite wearing an outfit which is totally inappropriate for adventuring. So she must be pretty athletic. Imagine what she could do without the dress slowing her down! In case you can't imagine, she could jump higher, run faster, fall further, swim better and fly longer. That's what she could do.

Who knows why she didn't just bring some more appropriate clothing, but she did bring a longer (and more stylish) whip.

But wait, there's more.

This mod also changes many little control annoyances. Such as "hanging" on a ledge while touching the ground. The difficulty of jumping on and off ropes. And getting crushed by flip-hanging into a small space. The name "Natural" is strained attempt to tie this in with the nudity, see...

But why make a mod that changes one or two things, when you can make one that changes a million different things with no logical relationship to eachother??

Here are some of them (because I'm sure I've forgotten a few):

• Many new items (some easy to find, some not)
  • Improvements to the altar (hint, hint)
  • Several weak existing items have been upgraded.
  • Some annoying items have been made less annoying.
  • A couple of strong items have been toned down.
  • You can put things open chests and other containers.
  • You can carry heavy items (like chests and corpses) between levels.
  • Improved Magic Sign support (you can recolor items, for instance).
  • You can unlock secrets while playing the Damsel.
  • Subtle tweaks to crime and punishment.
  • And new tutorial to help you make sense of it all.
  • Custom shops! No magic signs required.
  • Editor Plus stuff.
  • Seamless edges on levels with alternate borders.
  • Levels with no entrance no longer rarely get corrupted.
  • Smoother, easier to use area fill tool.
  • Opens both ASCII and UTF-8 levels.
  • New doors and keys for custom levels.
  • You can make mattocks with a fixed number of uses.
  • Custom (magic signs) objects can added to the editor.
  • New features for creating persistent level sets.
  • Mines and explosive crates à la Spelunky HD.
  • Stores high scores in a file instead of the Registry.

A nudie pic, pixelated for your protection.

Look closely and you'll see... some stuff.

Gateway to the new tuttoral.

Ready to play? DOWNLOAD NOW
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:13:12 AM by Urza » Logged
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:24:29 PM »

So maybe you're not crazy about the undressing thing. You can turn it off. When first run, Spelunky Natural creates a file called "natural.cfg". Open this and add the words no nude on a blank line. Then restart. Or if you want to keep all functionality without being exposed to naughty bits, write censor instead. This will use a blur effect similar to The Sims. Incidentally, that file has another use too: If you've never unlocked the Damsel and want to play her right away, you can put open sesame in there to access all doors in the score room.

Alright, now go read the rest of the features, if you haven't yet.

Version History:
1.0 Initial version.
2.0 Merged in Editor Plus stuff, added custom shop tiles.
2.1 More editor improvements. Tweaked borders and area fill tool, fixed obscure file format bug (maybe).
2.2 Added the ability to load UTF-8 levels.
2.3 Generally fixed up the shop/vending code and handled some odd cases.
2.4 New Locks/Keys. Improved persistence for certain item variables.
2.5 Added "virtual tiles" feature..
2.5.2 Persistence related features.
2.6 Added mine and TNT crate, more persistence stuff.
2.6.1 Fixed some bugs in bonus rooms, made lurking skeletons bombable.
2.7 Mitt upgrade, dead damsels look different when held, censor option.
2.7.1 Tweaked mitt, especially in relation to ball-and-chain.
2.8 Shotgun reloading indicators and file-based high scores.

Source Code is now available.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:10:54 AM by Urza » Logged
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 12:41:22 AM »

Looks really neat. Downloading now!

marsgreekgod
Big Bossy
Mossy

The will of the Galaxy.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 12:48:09 AM »

Huh. I don't THINK this is breaking any rules... not really?

(I got some reports)

I'll let it stand for now, becuse, meh it's real content.

Show your power, Gun Del Hell! Show them their fate! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Here we go! Let's go, go, go, go, Django! Light and Dark! It comes down to this! Be afraid, Sun!
KarjamP
Mossy

Meet Miijam!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 03:59:04 AM »

(I got some reports)

Well, they're probably reporting this for being "Not Safe For Work", which is a rule of this forums, IIRC.

Not saying you'd HAVE to get rid of it, just saying that's what others are reporting it as.

Meet Bodyless!

3DS friendcode: 4210 - 4681 - 1626

Join Dropbox!

BTC: 1M7MKFdwwrDqqowMUkrCXKhcEi7a16pwWy
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »

I love the changes to the gloves, mitt, and spring shoes. The jetpack feels like to was nerfed too much, but maybe after dying a bunch of times using it I'll adjust. Cheesy
The chest/backpack inventory is great (esp. in comparison to the way-overpowered YASM inventory)...my only criticism there is that the backpack item sprite looks like a brown blob of nothing in particular...I couldn't do better, but maybe there's a little backpack sprite from a pokemon game or something that you could modify.
I like the improved water movement too. Did you fix how you can swim up and launch yourself out of the water like a dolphin?

I saw a strange thing on a smoky altar but died before I got there - will play more later.

Blaze06h
Mossy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ If it happened, it happened for good!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »

Seriously, what was the Damsel carrying in her dress?  Huh?

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 10:46:29 AM »

(I got some reports)

Thanks. I realize this is kind of pushing it. If you (mods) decide it's over the line, please let me know if there's some way I can tone it down without removing it completely.

I love the changes to the gloves, mitt, and spring shoes. The jetpack feels like to was nerfed too much, but maybe after dying a bunch of times using it I'll adjust. Cheesy
The chest/backpack inventory is great (esp. in comparison to the way-overpowered YASM inventory)...my only criticism there is that the backpack item sprite looks like a brown blob of nothing in particular...I couldn't do better, but maybe there's a little backpack sprite from a pokemon game or something that you could modify.
I like the improved water movement too. Did you fix how you can swim up and launch yourself out of the water like a dolphin?

I saw a strange thing on a smoky altar but died before I got there - will play more later.
On the jetpack, you just have to get in the habit of letting it recharge between flights. I think it's still very useful. It took me a long time it get the backpack looking even that good. Tongue I don't think I changed anything about jumping out of water. I'll make a note to look into that. Breaking custom levels would be a concern, although currently this can't handle editor plus levels or anything anyway.

My biggest regret is not basing this on one of those mods to start with, I'd like merge some of those features at some point.

Good luck with the altar.

Seriously, what was the Damsel carrying in her dress?  Huh?
An mp3 player, credit cards, tums, tylenol, a glasses screwdriver, kleenex, bandaids, stamps, a digital camera, a mini leatherman tool, nail clipper, pens and a pencil, toiletries, checkbook, cell phone, car keys, and a miniature anvil.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 01:32:32 PM by Urza » Logged
halibabica
Bossy
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »

Eh, it's kinda perverted, but it's also 16x16 pixels. I don't think it's a big deal, but something in the topic title indicating such is needed.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 03:08:02 PM »

I mean its a nude damsel. The original damsel art is already pretty perverted. Im sure we have all seen worse.

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 04:43:52 PM »

Although I did my very best to make her anatomically correct, the uh, limitations of medium (and the fact that her head is HUGE) mean that her body is five pixels wide and somewhat less than an erotic masterpiece. Unless someone already has a pretty good idea what a naked woman looks like, I think they'd be hard pressed to even guess what each pixel represents.

However I did manage to make her neck less freakish when she looks up.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 06:19:21 PM by Urza » Logged
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 04:55:05 PM »

Not sure if the NSFW/perverted comments and moderator reports are joking, or if it's some sort of expression of male guilt due to all the discussion of how women are portrayed in games and the gaming industry in the past year.. and I don't even know if this mod is intentionally poking fun at the issue...but seriously, WTF? She is a playable character and BEING NAKED GIVES HER SUPER POWERS! If you want to be offended, see: photo-realism Alyx nude skins, boob-physics, 'poor' purple elves dancing on mailboxes for gold/items, any game where you can only play as a male character, etc..

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »

I even put in a feminist challenge. To complete it, you must finish the game as the Damsel, with 100,000 gold and no help from men. Rescuing spelunkers and buying from shopkeepers both constitute help from men, so does sacrificing or robbing them. This is pretty difficult, but it unlocks one of the secrets I mentioned.

But to change the subject—because I really hope this thread doens't turn into a massive argument about women in games—can anyone give me some advice about giving this editor plus support? Like I said I wish I had built on top of that in the first place, but at this stage, the biggest question is whether I should try to import editor plus features into this, or do it the other way around.
TyrOvC
Mossbaby

This text is not random :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2013, 10:07:51 PM »

Oh oh! Theoretically you could use http://mossmouth.com/forums/index.php?topic=2920.0 to speed up finding and adding the editor plus differences. Though you're probably mostly talking about adding the new items and stuff to the editor, and it's been a bit too long for me to be helpful on that without freetime to read through the code on my part.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:11:36 PM by TyrOvC » Logged

Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 10:22:48 PM »

can anyone give me some advice about giving this editor plus support? Like I said I wish I had built on top of that in the first place, but at this stage, the biggest question is whether I should try to import editor plus features into this, or do it the other way around.

Oh oh! Theoretically you could use http://mossmouth.com/forums/index.php?topic=2920.0 to speed up finding and adding the editor plus differences. Though you're probably mostly talking about adding the new items and stuff to the editor, and it's been a bit too long for me to be helpful on that without freetime to read through the code on my part.

Hopefully that SVN tool is useful. Here's some of my thoughts on doing it the hard way Sad

Saving/loading sprites from GM (.gmspr) is stupid because it doesn't save the collision mask or origin settings when you load it. Maybe one of the custom IDEs (Parakeet is one of them) for GM would have useful features that would help?

Aside from getting the unique objects/sprites in, there's a lot of added bits in existing objects. Right now i'm adding the Ed+ vending machines to YASM and there was stuff for those in almost every 'create' event for every object that is sellable. Trying to save some time by making a script to handle it.

The process for me was a lot of copy/paste and tabbing between two GM windows, and a file comparer for checking code (WinMerge or Notepad++).

I'm tempted to say import your stuff into Ed+ but I don't know how much was involved in your changes.

YASM was already a mess when I started adding Ed+ stuff, and it mostly works. You're likely more capable than me, so there's some encouragement. Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: