Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would anyone make a mod to nerf spiders a bit?  (Read 7480 times)
pipsqueaker117
Seedling

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2013, 07:51:07 AM »

The spiders in spelunky classic just don't stop jumping, do they? Would anyone make a mod which add a small delay in between jumps, similar to the 360 version? A quick google search didn't turn one up.

Let me know what you guys think of the idea
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 08:08:30 AM »

Spiders pause from time to time, but it's not for very long, or very often. It's best to stop them from ever hitting the floor in the first place.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 09:45:53 AM »

I'm usually against nerfing the game in general. I would advise you to learn their patterns and beat them! Your sense of accomplishment will be higher if you beat spelunky without taking shortcuts Tongue.

DialFforFunky
Bean

Revenge of the Burning Yeti

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 02:45:35 PM »

I used to have issues with spiders as well, until my ex pointed out a good trick to beat them. The idea is to trigger them and jump on them as soon as they hit the floor. Since the spiders fall downward is completely linear, and the landing is relatively easy to time, killing spiders becomes quite easy.

F

halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »

I just whip them as they're falling. Why even wait 'til they hit the ground?

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 04:39:41 PM »

At least you got something from your ex Tongue

DialFforFunky
Bean

Revenge of the Burning Yeti

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 06:25:16 PM »

I used to whip them as well, but I found that jumping this way was actually safer. Sometimes my whip-timing was flawed, sometimes my positioning wasn't perfect (one pixel too far)... This way is safer in that the path of the spider-jump and the path you jump are almost exactly the same, except for direction. This gives you a very large time-interval for correct timing. Also, the intensity of the spider jump doesn't really make a difference, because the trajectory doesn't diverge much when the spider is still close to the ground. Oh, you should aim to end up above the spider though, so you don't meet it by going sideways.

I find it quite hard to put to words why this method works so much better. Perhaps an epic paint production might help clarify:

... though I must admit that I just felt like painting in paint. Perhaps the best method to convince yourself is to try it. (Or someone should show me how to properly record stuff?)

F

halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 06:38:20 PM »

I'm at the point where I just let it fall on my whip for the handful of moments it just hangs in midair. My timing is impeccable, so if I don't get it on the way down, I pretty much deserve its bouncy wrath.

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 07:59:19 PM »

I just sprint past them.

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 01:59:08 AM »

On PCM version I just have to push them offscreen and they stop XD