Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Controls  (Read 4729 times)
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2013, 02:03:12 PM »

So I was wondering what control systems people use for (PC) Spelunky.

Do you use Down-To-Run?
Do you ever in intentionally use the attack button to run?
Do you use the keyboard or a gamepad?
If the keyboard, do you use the default keys or have you changed them?

For myself, I only run with the run key. I use the keyboard, and I use the defaults. Initially I had changed rope and bomb or R and B, but I eventually decided that was less convenient for quick use.
Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »

Never used Down-To-Run. Horrible idea.
Never used the same key for two things in Spelunky, although I used to do it as a challenge in several other games. E.g. Triplane Turmoil -> engine/flip.
Never much liked controllers for platformers, altho it probably doesn't help that mine is a cheap 360 knock-off (probably, anyway).
I usually change the keys, although it depends how I'm feeling at the time. I have a stronger little-finger than most people, so I'm often happier with it in weird positions. Tongue
Also yeah, R/B for Rope/Bomb used to be what I used until I played TLS, where I used it's default configuration and it worked much better. ^_^

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Kegluneq
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:46:39 AM »

That's funny, I actually love the down-to-run option. I've never liked holding buttons down for running, the down-to-run just feels very nice! I do use the sprint key (moved to spacebar) for run-jumping though.
Other than that, purchase is on D so I don't have to move my hands around just to buy stuff.

Sometimes I use a 360 controller, for which the layout is almost the same as the XBLA, except run is on the left trigger.

Oh yea and I never use attack for running. Or the switch key.

A wild SHINY MOSSY appeared!
Moloch
Mosskid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 06:17:03 PM »

I never use down-to-run or hold attack to run.

If I'm on my home PC I use a Logitech F710 (IMO superior to the 360 gamepad, and works flawlessly with any game designed to work with the 360 gamepad). I have the controls mapped to the same buttons as XBLA Spelunky (preferring d-pad instead of analog stick for movement), and have the 'switch' button on left trigger.

If I don't have access to a gamepad I use these keyboard controls:
WASD = movement
space = jump
shift = run
enter = attack
, = bomb
] = rope
\ = switch
backspace = purchase

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 11:56:54 PM »

I just use the default controls. I may change the purchase button but it has never really been a problem.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: