Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with Monkeys  (Read 10153 times)
Damsel
Mosskid

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »

I have been playing a lot of Spelunky lately, and I keep dying because of those pesky monkeys. So I was wondering, what it your strategy when dealing with those little buggers?

Spambots sure like medicine.
"Claritin Secret Friends"
"Motrin To Puppies"
IFapToYourSister
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 03:47:48 PM »

First of all, what version? XBLA or PC?
Known & Unknown
Mossy

Known for short!

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 05:47:13 PM »

First of all, what version? XBLA or PC?
She only has PC.

I usually fake 'em out, or toss a plant at them.

Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 07:52:29 PM »

I definitely remember having some monkey trouble early on, but they haven't seemed like a threat lately (just annoying), so I guess that means I've found a good strategy. Here it is:

Obviously you kill them before they reach you if possible, but don't worry too much if they do grab you. Since they can't hurt you directly, you just have to remain calm. Except if you happen to be on a vine over a spike pit, of course you need to get out of that situation immediately. But otherwise, proceed to the nearest safe place in an orderly fashion and whip repeatedly. You're pretty much guaranteed to kill it as it jumps off, if it doesn't kill itself with whatever item it knocks loose. The worst thing that can happen is it will take a bomb and lights it, so you do need to be prepared to jump clear if that happens, but otherwise you simply pick up the item and be on your way.

kj979
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 07:55:17 PM »

I definitely remember having some monkey trouble early on, but they haven't seemed like a threat lately (just annoying), so I guess that means I've found a good strategy. Here it is:

Obviously you kill them before they reach you if possible, but don't worry too much if they do grab you. Since they can't hurt you directly, you just have to remain calm. Except if you happen to be on a vine over a spike pit, of course you need to get out of that situation immediately. But otherwise, proceed to the nearest safe place in an orderly fashion and whip repeatedly. You're pretty much guaranteed to kill it as it jumps off, if it doesn't kill itself with whatever item it knocks loose. The worst thing that can happen is it will take a bomb and lights it, so you do need to be prepared to jump clear if that happens, but otherwise you simply pick up the item and be on your way.

This literally matches perfectly to me. Whipping over and over and over is my main strategy.
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »

I have never had a monkey light a bomb in the Pc verison in 3000+ plays.

Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 03:16:17 AM »

Really? Used to be the bane of my existence. Tongue
But yeah, monkeys haven't bothered me in some time. I just fake-em out and be on my way. Smiley

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »

That's because you never make it out of the caves. Tongue

No seriously, referring to the source code, it seems to be a a pretty rare event. If you have gold, there's only 20% chance that it takes a bomb or rope instead that (I guess they like shiny stuff better). If you have rope, there's 50% chance it takes that instead of a bomb. Finally, if it takes a bomb, there's only a 10% chance it will light it. That works out to only a 1% chance total. But it's actually less, because 25% of the time it knocks you down instead of taking an item at all (though this will make you drop whatever is in your hands). So that's a final 0.75% chance of a lit bomb, assuming you have both gold and rope.
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 02:17:53 PM »

^That may be why. It happens more often in Xbla though

halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »

It bears mentioning that you can knock off a clinging monkey by flip-hanging.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 12:29:25 AM »

Also by jumping and whipping while turning.

Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 01:17:48 AM »

or by hitting a bunch of random buttons. That usually works

halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »

If you're trying to fall in spikes, that usually works.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 06:30:53 PM »

If you're trying to fall in spikes, that usually works.
That does kill the monkey though.
Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 05:54:36 AM »

Meh, even if it doesn't you're well beyond the grasp of it, and you no longer have any need for the tools/gold. It can take 'em all, I say.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: