Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Take the Play To Win challenge!  (Read 25420 times)
Urza
Mossbaby

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2013, 12:10:29 AM »

AS I RECALLED MY FATHER'S LAST WORDS,
I SQUINTED INTO THE DARKNESS,
AND VOWED TO RETURN VICTORIOUS.

If you've never beaten Spelunky, this isn't really meant for you... but hey, you're welcome to give it a go.

So here's the basic idea: If you really had to, say if someone was offering a monetary reward, could you beat Spelunky in one try? If not, about how many tries do you think it would take?

The rules: You can play warm-up games first if you wish, but if you win one of those it doesn't count. As soon as you decide you've officially started the challenge, every new game after that is part of it, until you either win one, or give up on challenge.

Count the number of deaths, and optionally, keep track of how it happened. Post the results.

I took my own challenge and here's my log:

1. Freak UFO accident.
I'm really not sure what happened. I was sacrificing a few yetis when suddenly there was an explosion below me and I died. Pretty much just like that. All I can figure is a spring trap shot a UFO with a rock or something.
2. Fell in lava.
No real excuse for this, I even had a jetpack.
3. Smashed by Smash Trap.
Needless to say, these last two were tantalizingly close to the prize. After that things went a bit down hill...
4. Killed by avenging Shoppy.
Messing with those goes is almost never a good idea. Nuff said.
5. Yeti threw me into a laser beam!!
This game started bad and stayed that way. I got hit by an arrow trap very early, and never got any cool gear or anything. Was sacrificing yetis again and... yeah. Interestingly this was my only death that wasn't basically an insta-kill.
6. SUCCESS!
Good luck early on, mined alot of loot with a pickaxe etc, and managed to be filthy rich by the time I reached the jungle. But at one point I sacrificed a damsel (something I seldom do) and got the pitcher's mitt. I picked it up without really thinking about it, but I really don't like that thing much.

Got the Black Market. Bought the Ankh, a Jetpack, some bombs, but while trying to buy a gun, something went wrong. Not sure what I did, but a shopkeeper flipped out and shot me point blank. It might have been related to the stupid mitt. (karma?) Anyway, the Ankh saved me, but I figured the game was a lost cause... But never the less, I safely got out of the market and went on my way.

Later I found myself sacrificing yetis once again. I got the Kapala and the sack of bombs, at which point I figured I'd best not press my luck, given the earlier mishaps in that zone. Made it through the temple with no major trouble, and took out the boss in a hail of bombs, instead of making him do most of the dirty work as usual. So yay!

So there you have it. Six tries. Not as good as a hoped, but not so bad I guess. Can you do better?

P.S. I'm assuming you'll be playing standard PC Spelunky, but if you want to play some other version that's fine, just mention it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:17:31 AM by Urza » Logged
halibabica
Mossy

old guard

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:45:15 AM »

Interesting challenge! I think I'll have to find time to try it.

Sometimes I wonder if I like Spelunky too much.
ManTrap mod - Tastes Like Spelunky
Hand-drawn comic - Spelunkying
Wonkyth
Big Bossy
Mossy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:22:24 PM »

Gonna give this a go, with no warmup whatsoever, even though I've barely played Spelunky in months! xD

Stay Tuned!

EDIT: It turns out this computer lags HORRIBLY (i.e. it pauses for 3-5 seconds every 3-5 seconds) for most games, and is so frail I darn't attempt to improve performance. Guess I'll have to wait until I get home. Sad
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:46:28 PM by Wonkyth » Logged

Can you read the wry? Can you FEEL the wry?!
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 11:52:23 PM »

Sad. I will try this. I have always said I could beat Spelunky if my life depended on it, now I get to test my theory.

Skoke
Mossy

Ballin'

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 06:00:44 PM »

I had two runs with a jetpack that I still lost

I bombed a wall which accidently flung a rock at me. I died later by fall damage

Another when I thought I had sticky bombs but didnt, so the bomb bounced a ways off. I didnt want to waste it but there was a shotgun in the way. It took me to long and I blew myself up
Damsel
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »

never beaten it, but I have not played in a while. Giving it a go!

1. Caves: Damsels Saved: 2 Health lost: 0 Items: Compass
Notes: Going really well! I might actually get past the Jungle this run

Jungle: Damsels Saved: 0 Health lost: 2 (before insta-kill) Things Purchased: NA
Notes: Got hit through a block by a frog, 5 health. Ran into a piranha, jumped out of the water and got hit by a spike trap. Sad

FINAL SCORE: 15500

2. Caves: Damsels Saved: 2 Health lost: 6 Items:Mattock
Notes: Used 3 bombs and 6 ropes ON THE FIRST LEVEL (snakes) Got killed by a spider

FINAL SCORE: 24600

3. Caves: Damsels Saved: 1 Health lost: 3 Items: Udjet Eye
Notes: Lost health being careless, Won 12 bombs gambling

Jungle: Damsels Saved: 0 Health lost: 2 Items: NA
Notes: died from a frog on level 2

FINAL SCORE: 41575

4. died on jungle, took a video of run but lost it, GOT AS UNLUCKY AS POSSIBLE GAMBLING
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:18:56 PM by Damsel » Logged

Spambots sure like medicine.
"Claritin Secret Friends"
"Motrin To Puppies"
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 01:01:49 AM »

Have you gotten to Olmec Damsel?

Damsel
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 06:35:31 AM »

yeah. I just am out of practice.

"Motrin To Puppies"
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 07:37:15 AM »

That makes it a decent challenge, I'll try it too, have to start over anyway since losing my HDD. At least I got my win(s?) and CoG run on video.

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
bellasmith
Seedling

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 02:24:10 AM »

EXCITED
civ4master
Seedling

Spy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 03:23:54 PM »

I will take the challenge. I have yet to win though.  Smiley
Arucard
Mossy

Hey! Is that CANDY?!?!?

Arucard.Tepes
View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 06:08:24 AM »

First three attempts=

Caves 2- death by arrow trap, started in tutorial and lost one heart from reconfiguring contols

Caves 3- death by spider, with stupid pitchers mitt from sacrificing damsel, bombed Kali's statue in defiance

Lush 1- death by spear trap, with bouncy shoes from sacrificing damsel and climbing gloves

Oh, they look like monsters to you?

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 11:54:54 AM »

Keep us updated on how you do.

Damsel
Mosskid

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 12:41:44 PM »

5. Caves: Damsels Saved: 0 Health lost: 4 Items: NA
Notes: Shot by and arrow trap, hit by a bat 2 times. Very depressing run.

6. Caves: Damsels Saved: 0 Health lost: 2 (before falling on spikes) Items: NA
Notes: Another super depressing run. Got hit by a trap in exchange for a crate (I thought I could make a jump I couldn’t) and got ropes. Then, I fell on spikes!

7. Caves: Damsels Saved: 1 (brought her to the exit, I never got through it) Health lost: 4 Items: Climbing gloves, mattock, compass
Notes: I am just failing with the spike traps today! I was doing really well and then I got greedy and tried to get one last crate. AND I HIT ANOTHER SPIKETRAP.
FINAL SCORE: 21500

8. Caves: Damsels Saved: 1 Health lost: 1 Items: Udjat eye
Notes: Successfully got though a dark cave level! This is looking good! Erg got hit by a spider, but I am going to the jungle!
Jungle: Damsels Saved: 0 Health lost: 4 Items: NA
Notes: Died trying to avoid one of those darn monkeys! Still got a new money high score.
FINAL SCORE: 61500

edit: I also got a bronze trophy, and I can't for the life of me remember what it does.

"Motrin To Puppies"
Nathan
Mossy

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 12:50:19 PM »

If you get the gold trophy it unlocks a minigame

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: